Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Post by Mike Nixo » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm the volunteer administrator of my church network (and also the
database support guy).

We have a half dozen Macs of various vintages using FM Pro 3.0 (With
the data files on a local Mac G3 server), and the church staff would
like to add a few windows PCs (on this network) to have access to the
database.

A few questions:
1) I've read that FM Pro 3 & 4 use the same file format (of course i
have to rename all my macintosh files to 8.3, right?)  So I believe I
can use windows version 3.x or 4.x to read this Mac developed/hosted FM
Pro 3 database.

2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
(I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind of
display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

3) Any leads on good place to find a good price for the software?
(CompUSA in my area has 4.1 for $199)

4) Has anyone tried trading in a mac license for a windows one?  (I
think we have more mac licenses than we need)

Thanks,
Mike Nixon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Paul E. Est » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I'm the volunteer administrator of my church network (and also the
> database support guy).

> We have a half dozen Macs of various vintages using FM Pro 3.0 (With
> the data files on a local Mac G3 server), and the church staff would
> like to add a few windows PCs (on this network) to have access to the
> database.

> A few questions:
> 1) I've read that FM Pro 3 & 4 use the same file format (of course i
> have to rename all my macintosh files to 8.3, right?)  So I believe I
> can use windows version 3.x or 4.x to read this Mac developed/hosted FM
> Pro 3 database.

> 2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
> (I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind of
> display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

> 3) Any leads on good place to find a good price for the software?
> (CompUSA in my area has 4.1 for $199)

> 4) Has anyone tried trading in a mac license for a windows one?  (I
> think we have more mac licenses than we need)

> Thanks,
> Mike Nixon

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi Mike,

1. If the files are hosted on the mac you don't need to rename them. The
hosts dialog does not care if they have an extension. Also you can have a
file on the pc without a 8.3 extension, it will just be a generic Icon and
you will need to open it from within FM.

2. Pop that 4.x Mac CD in your PC, whoa little doggy it's got the full win
version on it. Technically called a hybrid CD.

3. Ebay?

4. See #2

Paul E.

Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Post by Mike Nixo » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > 2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
> > (I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind
of
> > display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

> 2. Pop that 4.x Mac CD in your PC, whoa little doggy it's got the
full win
> version on it. Technically called a hybrid CD.

Thanks for the info Paul, Unfortunately I don't have FM Pro 4.x for Mac
either (I didn't feel it was worth upgrade costs at the time so I'm
still on FM Pro 3.0v5 for Mac).

Is 5.0 also on a hybrid CD?

I find it ironic that I can upgrade to 5.0 cheaper than I can get 4.x
(But upgrading to 5.0 kicks me off a few 030 and 040 macs).  Too bad FM
Pro 4.1 doesn't fall into that free-after-rebate-on-old-version
category of software that I normally pickup at CompUSA.

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Post by RD Colema » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Mike
  I cant help you with all the other but I m seeing these guys respond to
that.

I dont use a mac network so I have no experience,
but I will tell you that you can go to
ftp://ftp.filemaker.com/pub  and go to the trial directories and
their is a trial of 4 in their ( at least there was a this AM )
I think it is a typical 30 day trial

Quote:> I'm the volunteer administrator of my church network (and also the
> database support guy).

> We have a half dozen Macs of various vintages using FM Pro 3.0 (With
> the data files on a local Mac G3 server), and the church staff would
> like to add a few windows PCs (on this network) to have access to the
> database.

> A few questions:
> 1) I've read that FM Pro 3 & 4 use the same file format (of course i
> have to rename all my macintosh files to 8.3, right?)  So I believe I
> can use windows version 3.x or 4.x to read this Mac developed/hosted FM
> Pro 3 database.

> 2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
> (I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind of
> display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

> 3) Any leads on good place to find a good price for the software?
> (CompUSA in my area has 4.1 for $199)

> 4) Has anyone tried trading in a mac license for a windows one?  (I
> think we have more mac licenses than we need)

> Thanks,
> Mike Nixon

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Post by RD Colema » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Correction on the FTP Site

This Morning I used
ftp3.filemaker.com to get in with my FTP Software

Follow the paths down.

/pub/USA-Windows/Trial_Software/FMTRIAL.EXE

Quote:> I'm the volunteer administrator of my church network (and also the
> database support guy).

> We have a half dozen Macs of various vintages using FM Pro 3.0 (With
> the data files on a local Mac G3 server), and the church staff would
> like to add a few windows PCs (on this network) to have access to the
> database.

> A few questions:
> 1) I've read that FM Pro 3 & 4 use the same file format (of course i
> have to rename all my macintosh files to 8.3, right?)  So I believe I
> can use windows version 3.x or 4.x to read this Mac developed/hosted FM
> Pro 3 database.

> 2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
> (I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind of
> display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

> 3) Any leads on good place to find a good price for the software?
> (CompUSA in my area has 4.1 for $199)

> 4) Has anyone tried trading in a mac license for a windows one?  (I
> think we have more mac licenses than we need)

> Thanks,
> Mike Nixon

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Adding windows FM Pro 3/4 to Mac FM Pro 3 network

Post by Paul Brunea » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

In my experience, the 3.x discs were hybrid, too.

I think your bigger challenge might be what networking protocol to use.

If you are using FMPro Server (I couldn't tell), then no sweat, you can
serve 3 protocols at once.

If you are using the regular file sharing of FM, then you will have to
choose a single protocol.

Paul's first choice: tcp/ip
Paul's second choice: ipx (that's not a close second, either)

Good luck!

> > > 2) Is there a demo/trial version of FM Pro 4.1 for windows anywhere?
> > > (I already checked on www.filemaker.com)  I'd like to see what kind
> of
> > > display issues we might have before we pay for the windows software.

> > 2. Pop that 4.x Mac CD in your PC, whoa little doggy it's got the
> full win
> > version on it. Technically called a hybrid CD.

> Thanks for the info Paul, Unfortunately I don't have FM Pro 4.x for Mac
> either (I didn't feel it was worth upgrade costs at the time so I'm
> still on FM Pro 3.0v5 for Mac).

> Is 5.0 also on a hybrid CD?

> I find it ironic that I can upgrade to 5.0 cheaper than I can get 4.x
> (But upgrading to 5.0 kicks me off a few 030 and 040 macs).  Too bad FM
> Pro 4.1 doesn't fall into that free-after-rebate-on-old-version
> category of software that I normally pickup at CompUSA.

> Mike

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. FM Pro 6.0v4 and Mac OSX Networking

I have just upgraded my office computers from 4 macs running OS9.1 and
Fmpro5 to OSX and 6.0v4.

One computer serves as a host to the main file that everyone uses.  Before,
everyone could share a database by going over the network and opening the
file (or an alias), whether it was already opened or not.

Now that doesn't work at all.  When someone is hosting the file (ie. the 1st
person to open it) subsequent users get denied via 'single user file' even
though I have triple checked the file sharing and it is on.

The only way I can share files now is by:
1- logging onto the host computer
2- opening the filemaker application
3- choosing 'hosts'
4- typing in the network address of the host
5- Selecting the file from the list.

Before, I didn1t even need to log onto the host computer, all I had to do
was open an alias to the file and it did everything else automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas as how I can automate this process?

Thanks,

G.Miller

2. Allow Novell Login

3. Cannot share FM Pro files between Mac and Windows clients

4. Jobs Galore!!!

5. FM Server 5 + remote FM Pro 5 client

6. Generate SQL database object script

7. 100% CPU utilization FM Pro 5.5v2 connecting to beefy FM server on Win2000

8. row_aggregate

9. Setup for FM Pro and FM Unlimited

10. FM Dev 5 and FM Pro 5.5 compatibility

11. FM Server and FM Pro on same computer?

12. FM-Mac to FM Windows