Like in some macro-creation, can FMP script the manual steps we take?

Like in some macro-creation, can FMP script the manual steps we take?

Post by FitWe » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Is there a mode we can go into (i.e., what would it be called), where
FMP records our scripting steps?  Like in a word-processor (i.e., WP),
that's a great way to learn scripting language better since we can see
the results of the actions we take and how FMP records it in a script.

Thanks,

Diana.

Like in some macro-creation, can FMP script the manual steps we take?

Post by rod_kirkpatr.. » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

FMP has no "Record" function.
The easiest way to learn scripting  is to perform the first step on your
task ie copy a field then go to scriptmaker and see what the closest
script step is to the task youve just performed which in this case would
be copy.Add this single script step to your new script  - run the script
and check that you have the field contents in your clipboard.The second
step might be to change layout , so see what script step performs this
function.Kepp this up and youll pretty soon have a working script.It may
not be the most elegant solution but at least it will automate your
process.You should find that the script steps are easy to interpret as
this is one of FMPs major strenghts

Rod

> Is there a mode we can go into (i.e., what would it be called), where
> FMP records our scripting steps?  Like in a word-processor (i.e., WP),
> that's a great way to learn scripting language better since we can see
> the results of the actions we take and how FMP records it in a script.

> Thanks,

> Diana.

Like in some macro-creation, can FMP script the manual steps we take?

Post by FitWe » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Well, yes, of course this is what we do for the regular and
straightforward scripts.  My question involves the 'if' and 'then'
functions, particularly, which I've never really cracked.  In all the
years that I've been writing simple to highly complex macros/scripts,
esp. in WordPerfect, I've never had opportunity to play with
conditions because we have no real time for 'doing research' on the
job.  For a short time I'm working at home, so that's why I'm trying
to address these issues while I have 'time' opportunity.

The way I learned macro language in wordprocessors was precisely by
doing things step by step as you describe.  (BTW, I've been told that
WP macro language seemed to resemble 'C' language, though the 2
techies in 2 different jobs didn't actually do more than glance at it
- I asked them each a quick question).

So, saw where the 'if'/'then' statements can be built in FMP and was
prepared to go the long route rather than a sort of 'record
keystrokes' route.  The only trouble with building the macros yourself
manually - and on a prayer - is that you're never sure if the syntax
is 100% correct and that if it works, it works because it is nominally
correct at that time but will cause problems down the road when more
data is entered and when more complex manipulations are called for.

Ah well, I'll just have to jump in and hope for the best - again!!
Saw there's a book called "Scriptology" when I went again to a tips
site whose URL was posted yesterday.  That looks like a good resource
to have (<sigh> here we go once more with trying to produce miracles
in the budget).

Thanks, really appreciate the tips!!

****************************

>FMP has no "Record" function.
>The easiest way to learn scripting  is to perform the first step on your
>task ie copy a field then go to scriptmaker and see what the closest
>script step is to the task youve just performed which in this case would
>be copy.Add this single script step to your new script  - run the script
>and check that you have the field contents in your clipboard.The second
>step might be to change layout , so see what script step performs this
>function.Kepp this up and youll pretty soon have a working script.It may
>not be the most elegant solution but at least it will automate your
>process.You should find that the script steps are easy to interpret as
>this is one of FMPs major strenghts

>Rod

>> Is there a mode we can go into (i.e., what would it be called), where
>> FMP records our scripting steps?  Like in a word-processor (i.e., WP),
>> that's a great way to learn scripting language better since we can see
>> the results of the actions we take and how FMP records it in a script.

>> Thanks,

>> Diana.

1. Article schema script creation takes forever

Hi

I'm a relative newcomer to SQLServer.

I'm developing an application for logging and industrial process. The
process takes place at 4500 'locations' each of which requires logging of
around 100 items (columns) of small varchar information plus one BLOB of
compressed video.  Each location has a unique logical index and I've created
one empty table per 'location' - so 4500 tables. It all works fine.

I created the tables using VB which took no time at all and I've now moved
on to setting up the replication stuff (its important that we don't lose
this data). The snapshot agent is taking around 10 seconds just to generate
the schema script,  this will will take 12 hours plus to complete.

This can't be right.

I'm using a 900MHz PIII with 384Mb of  RAM with SQLServer only using 270Mb.
During the operation sqlserver.exe is taking about 60% of the CPU,
snapshot.exe about 20%, most of the rest is System Idle.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks

John Simpson

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/john_simpson/

2. Corrupted Memo field in D2

3. Canned PARADOX scripts?

4. Restore a DB2 NT backup on AIX

5. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

6. How do I correct dependency issue?

7. SQL-DMO (Active script within job step) Problems with Script statement

8. Problems editing cube from another machine

9. How to call a Visual Basic script from a FM script step

10. Pasting a Script step into another Script...

11. Scheduled Run and Manual Step Execution problems

12. Server script to run script in database (FMP Server 5)

13. Run Excel Macro from FMP