burning a solution on a a CD

Post by joeh.. » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:32:44

Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
new records. Can't delete, etc.

Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
modifiable?

TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Claude Carlo » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:54:07

That what happens when you " Copy" the files from the HD to the CD.
That's Windows.... not Filemaker

Your solution would work if you Zip it on the CD and then Unzip it on the
other HD.

Or you could always have the user copy from the CD to is HD and then go
to Windows Explorer and change the bit (for every file of your solution )in
the proprieties from Read only to Archive.
Or finally , you could use an installer program to do the installation for
the user.

Good luck

Claude

Quote:> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> new records. Can't delete, etc.

> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> modifiable?

> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Mitchell19 » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:55:47

>Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
>bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

>I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
>desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

>Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
>copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

>Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
>new records. Can't delete, etc.

>Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
>runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
>modifiable?

Yes, only by copying to the hdd will they work.

A cd is not an entity that can be written to without "opening" it
using a cd-burning software.  Even then, after a few times, I find
that eventually the cd becomes unusable, they just don't like being
written to too often.  Considering that each time we modify something
in our solutions and that is being "written" each time, one could
never, as technology stands now, modify a cd on-the-fly like that.
You'd probably need to have one of those external drives instead, one
of those USB ones.

Perhaps, when using a cd, main solution could be copied to hdd and
modified there.  But don't know if there's a way for it to "read" the
runtime files on the CD.  It's a thought though if for whatever reason
one couldn't/wouldn't want to copy the entire thing.  However, don't
know if this can even be done.

The only way to do it, afaik, is by copying everything on the cd to
the hdd/network drive being used and taking off the read-only
attribute of each component.  (*** p.s., see below for an app to do
this easily is you don't have Win2K and up).  Modify the records then
copy the solution file alone onto a floppy to transport.  Unless it is
very graphic-intense which means a large size, copying to floppy will
work.  Keep in mind, solution on CD now obsolete.

No way around it other than this that I can see.

hth

***  There is a freeware called FP-Lock and Unlock that is good for
those of us with Win9x.  Once installed, select the folder you want to
modify and right-click; choose FP Unlock and a DOS box is brought up.
You hit any key and it'll "unlock" all the subfolders and files within
the folder.  A workaround to doing it manually on each item within the
main folder.  If anyone has an older computer like I do, with my
Win98SE, I can easily hunt up the URL for this if they're interested.

Cheers!

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by RQO » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:53:14

After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the User
"select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the File
menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

RQO

Quote:> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> new records. Can't delete, etc.

> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> modifiable?

> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Michael Stou » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:06:04

Not sure what version of Windows they are using but I don1t believe that is
true with Win 95, 98
> After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the User
> "select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the File
> menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

> RQO

>> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
>> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

>> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
>> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

>> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
>> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

>> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
>> new records. Can't delete, etc.

>> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
>> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
>> modifiable?

>> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by RQO » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:41:44

Hmm..... they were using WinME.  Maybe that's why it works.  I never tried
it as a "select all" then change properties in 98 or 95.  Don't want to
mislead anyone.

RQO

> Not sure what version of Windows they are using but I don1t believe that
is
> true with Win 95, 98

> > After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the
User
> > "select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the
File
> > menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

> > RQO

> >> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> >> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> >> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> >> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> >> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> >> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> >> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> >> new records. Can't delete, etc.

> >> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> >> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> >> modifiable?

> >> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Mitchell19 » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:36:23

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:53:14 -0600, "RQO"

>After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the User
>"select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the File
>menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

Yes, but that won't work in subfolders; you have to manually go
through each nested folder to do this; granted in a runtime solution
you might not have so many.  However, with something like FP Lock and
Unlock (that I mentioned in another post in this thread) available as
an option at all times, (or as a new feature added in Win2K and up),
the action is "recursive", I believe they call it.

As an example, when I copy folders from the cd to hdd, I could be
looking at 5 levels of folders with up to 100+ folders.  Imagine going
through them _all_ in the manner you explain above?!

I just have to go up to "highest" level and right-click to bring up
context and then choose the Unlock (versus Lock) function of FP.

Just fyi.

>> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
>> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

>> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
>> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

>> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
>> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

>> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
>> new records. Can't delete, etc.

>> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
>> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
>> modifiable?

>> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Mitchell19 » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:37:40

Quote:>Not sure what version of Windows they are using but I don1t believe that is
>true with Win 95, 98

It is true, actually, insofar as you can affect the attributes of the
files _within_ that folder.  However, that is all it does and will no
change the attributes of further nested folders. That came as a
general function in Win2k.  Just an fyi.
>> After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the User
>> "select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the File
>> menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

>> RQO

>>> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
>>> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

>>> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
>>> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

>>> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
>>> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

>>> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
>>> new records. Can't delete, etc.

>>> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
>>> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
>>> modifiable?

>>> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Rosenblu » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:40:31

You my create a self-extract zip file and then save it with the correct
configuration in order to extract itself in the desirable folder of your
client. The properties of the files using zip remain archive" then you don't
have to change the "read only"property.

Shai
Voice:  972-8-973-9208
Mobile: 972-54-723-400
Fax:      972-8-973-9208

> After copying the solution (in one folder) to their HD, I just have the
User
> "select all" inside the solutions folder, select "properties" from the
File
> menu,  then un-check the "read-only".  Works for me.

> RQO

> > Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> > bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> > I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> > desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> > Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> > copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> > Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> > new records. Can't delete, etc.

> > Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> > runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> > modifiable?

> > TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Steve Pug » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:45:06

(If you don't want to bother with a ZIP program) anybody here remember the
attrib command? You can set/reset any attribute flag in current and
sub-directories using this command. I'm running XPH and it still exists. Of
course you would still have to copy the files to the HDD before doing so.
Write and run  a batch file to do the copy and reset the attrib flags.

Steve
u c der dos isa wut ima tokkin bout

Quote:> Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> new records. Can't delete, etc.

> Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> modifiable?

> TIA

burning a solution on a a CD

Post by Steve Pug » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:31:56

reposting - appears as though first post did not complete

> (If you don't want to bother with a ZIP program) anybody here remember the
> attrib command? You can set/reset any attribute flag in current and
> sub-directories using this command. I'm running XPH and it still exists.
Of
> course you would still have to copy the files to the HDD before doing so.
> Write and run  a batch file to do the copy and reset the attrib flags.

> Steve
> u c der dos isa wut ima tokkin bout

> > Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
> > bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

> > I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
> > desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

> > Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
> > copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

> > Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
> > new records. Can't delete, etc.

> > Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
> > runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
> > modifiable?

> > TIA

1. Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

You're obviously working on a PC; all you have to do is right-click on
each database file, go to PROPERTIES, and turn read-only OFF (uncheck
it). I don't know why that happens, but it happens to me as well.

--
Bob Patin

2. ADO VBScript Numeric and Stored Procs

3. burn data on CD

4. db2 for windows2000

5. Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

6. Coordinating Browse Window

7. How-to burn oracle CD

8. CA-Sacramento-Oracle/Sybase DBA

9. Burning PA downloads to CD

10. cross-platform CD burn

11. CD-ROM burning problem...

12. Local Cubes Creator on MDX-Solution CD

13. FS: "Microsoft Olap Solutions" with CD