Determining if a File is Already Open

Post by Brent Lewi » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:26:02

If one issues a command to close a file that is not already open, FMP
first opens that file and then closes it.  How can one test for an open
condition (that doesn't open the file first) before they issue a close
or some other command?

Brent

Determining if a File is Already Open

Post by John Weinshe » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:59:01

DatabaseNames returns a list of open files. You can test for:

PatternCount(DatabaseNames, "My_File")
--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> If one issues a command to close a file that is not already open, FMP
> first opens that file and then closes it.  How can one test for an open
> condition (that doesn't open the file first) before they issue a close
> or some other command?

> Brent

Determining if a File is Already Open

Post by Brent Lewi » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:35:03

Thank you John!

>DatabaseNames returns a list of open files. You can test for:

>PatternCount(DatabaseNames, "My_File")
>--
>John Weinshel
>Datagrace
>Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
>Vashon Island, WA
>(206) 463-1634

>>If one issues a command to close a file that is not already open, FMP
>>first opens that file and then closes it.  How can one test for an open
>>condition (that doesn't open the file first) before they issue a close
>>or some other command?

>>Brent

1. Error opening file (already opened)

HI

I've got a strange problem using FMPro 4.0v2 for Windows. I've got a
database solution which contains 7 FMP databases. They interact with
each other.

The first DB is mainly a menu, allowing me to show one of the other
DB's. Opening this first DB also opens the other ones. The problem is
that when i push on button that should show another DB and perform a
script from that DB, FMP tries to re-open that DB (even though it's
already opened). Then it tells me the DB could not be opened because it
is in mono-user mode or the main user cannot be found. OK. Then it asks
me to find the DB. I open the right DB (in the same folder as the first
one), but it keeps me it's already open (in fact it is opened, but in my
FMP application).

Anybody got a clue on this ?

Thanks

JML

2. problem with reducing the size of a transaction log

3. Clear Excel data using VB Script - File Already Open

4. PL/SQL variables

5. Reading/deleting in a shared textfile (error 55: File already open)

6. Unicode formatted text

7. File Already open Error

8. SQL Connectivity problem

9. DbaseIV: File already open

10. dbase IV 'file already open' error

11. Mail merge from Access try to open an already open DB

12. vb conflict to open DB already open with Access (error 3356)

13. Preventing a from from being opened - if already open