FM 5 pro on Win NT 4: incorrect installation, missing system components

FM 5 pro on Win NT 4: incorrect installation, missing system components

Post by Olavi Kurtt » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 20:44:44

Hello!

I have tried to install FM 5 Pro on a new PC running Windows NT 4.
Installation was OK, but when I try to start FM, I receive the
following error message:

"FileMaker Pro could not be launched because of incorrect
installation, missing system components or insufficient memory. Please
see the FileMaker Pro documentation."

After several trials I installed FM on two other PC:s, and they worked
flawlessly. The other PC:s had same OS, but different service packs
(SP 5) and other software (MS Office 97).

I have tried to get information from www.filemaker.com and other
websites, but found nothing relevant. The (paper) manuals were
nonsense and help files not much better. While browsing the files
under folder ...winnt\system32 and comparing them to list in the
manual, I found several files missing (mainly ODBC-related). Also
missing were msdaerr.dll and msdatl.dll from folder C:\program
files\common files\system\ole db. Could this be fatal to FM? Why
didn't the installation copy these files to their proper folders (or
is the manual wrong/outdated)?

What is the problem and how could I fix it?

Technical details:
OS: Windows NT 4.0 (build 1381, Service pack 6, RC 1.3)
PC: Pentium III 650 MHz, 132 MB RAM, Matrox G400 AGP 16 MB
Other software:
MS Office 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1)
MS IE 5 (5.00.2919.6307)
Netscape 4.7
plus other less-relevant programs (WinZip, ArcServe Backup etc).

Regards, Olavi Kurttio

--
Posted from bambu.metla.fi [128.214.53.7]

FM 5 pro on Win NT 4: incorrect installation, missing system components

Post by Bob Osol » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:08:21

Just a thought: were you logged on as Admin on this machine? This is a
requirement for NT installation. Also, try a default rather than a custom
install (the latter does not install ODBC for some unfathomable reason
related to driver licensing issues. Finally (as a long shot), do you have a
local printer driver installed? NT is supposed to allow you to choose a
network printer as default so that you don't need local drivers, but not
having a local driver for your printer can blow quite a few applications.
This problem seems to vary between service patches and application versions.
HTH.

Regds, Bob Osola

Quote:> Hello!