Displaying a portal based on a portal

Post by vincent pett » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:56:54

WIN98SE FM5.5

I have a portal in the main DB called "Offense line item". Works
excellent. The relationship is based on an "offense code" field, which
is a drop down value list. In that value list, "offense code", is a
particular "offense code" (59HA)that when it comes up I want to take
me to another portal,put in the same main DB, called "Traffic
Citation", to create records based on that one "offense code"
(59HA)only. Preferably a line item. The child DB and line item
associated with it are already created, I am just confused as to how
to proceed next. I tried an "If" script but with no success. Any
suggestions?
vincent
las cruces,nm

Post by Howard Schlossber » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 01:10:07

> I have a portal in the main DB called "Offense line item". Works
> excellent. The relationship is based on an "offense code" field, which
> is a drop down value list. In that value list, "offense code", is a
> particular "offense code" (59HA)that when it comes up I want to take
> me to another portal,put in the same main DB, called "Traffic
> Citation", to create records based on that one "offense code"
> (59HA)only. Preferably a line item. The child DB and line item
> associated with it are already created, I am just confused as to how
> to proceed next. I tried an "If" script but with no success. Any
> suggestions?

Not totally sure I understand what you want to do, but I have a hunch it
should involve setting a global whenever a particular offense code is
clicked on in the first portal.  Then perhaps you can base your second
portal on a relationship that uses that global field on the left side of
the relationship.

Perhaps if you re-state what you are trying to do, I can be more
specific.

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 321-5176
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

Post by vincent pett » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:58:11

> > I have a portal in the main DB called "Offense line item". Works
> > excellent. The relationship is based on an "offense code" field, which
> > is a drop down value list. In that value list, "offense code", is a
> > particular "offense code" (59HA)that when it comes up I want to take
> > me to another portal,put in the same main DB, called "Traffic
> > Citation", to create records based on that one "offense code"
> > (59HA)only. Preferably a line item. The child DB and line item
> > associated with it are already created, I am just confused as to how
> > to proceed next. I tried an "If" script but with no success. Any
> > suggestions?

> Not totally sure I understand what you want to do, but I have a hunch it
> should involve setting a global whenever a particular offense code is
> clicked on in the first portal.  Then perhaps you can base your second
> portal on a relationship that uses that global field on the left side of
> the relationship.

> Perhaps if you re-state what you are trying to do, I can be more
> specific.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 321-5176
> FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

I think what I want to do is make a value list popup based on single
item in another value list. Is that possible?

1. Conditional portal displays with criteria from another portal

What I'd like to accomplish is displaying information in one portal, dependant
on the chosen record in another portal. In this case, the tables are client,
where the portals reside, projects, and tasks. I would like to select a
project in the first portal, and have only the corresponding tasks show up in
the second portal.

Any suggestions?

Brian

2. Locked rows

3. Searching Portals and displaying found Set in same Portal

4. Components for DBCtrl-Grid

5. Oracle Portal vs Novell Portal

6. HELP!!! I have truncated data.

7. To Portal or not to Portal

8. Add item in line item portal from another portal

9. FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

10. Copy Portal to Portal

11. Portal for line of data in a portal?

12. Simulate a Portal within a Portal...