A perfect couple - The merging of two databases in FMP5

A perfect couple - The merging of two databases in FMP5

Post by Jan-Wouter Arendse » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I've got a problem, I've got these 2 nice big databases....
but my contractor wants to merge them into one, and I shudder at the
prospect of rebuilding on entirely in the other. So is there a way to
copy a database including fields, relations etc into a layout of another
one?

Thanks in advance

A perfect couple - The merging of two databases in FMP5

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi Jan -

Could you please provide more detail about the similarities and differences
between the structures of the two databases, and I imagine the group can
give you assistance.  Please also include your platform and version, always
a good idea if you want useful answers in this group.

Thanks -
James

> I've got a problem, I've got these 2 nice big databases....
> but my contractor wants to merge them into one, and I shudder at the
> prospect of rebuilding on entirely in the other. So is there a way to
> copy a database including fields, relations etc into a layout of another
> one?

> Thanks in advance

A perfect couple - The merging of two databases in FMP5

Post by Dave Barret » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

You can cut and paste the layouts from file one into file two, and you can
import the scripts.  But as far as I know you will need to redo the field
defs and relationships manually.  Having said that, I hope you have a good
reason to merge "two big databases" that obviously contain different types
of data (since you need to define many new fields); you are possibly
(probably?) going to create an even bigger headache for the next person that
has to work on it.
-Dave

Quote:> I've got a problem, I've got these 2 nice big databases....

Post by Lynn All » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I've got a problem, I've got these 2 nice big databases....
> but my contractor wants to merge them into one, and I shudder at the
> prospect of rebuilding on entirely in the other. So is there a way to
> copy a database including fields, relations etc into a layout of another
> one?

Letting the customer design a data structure is rarely a good idea.

Ideally, users never really KNOW which database holds which data. If
your interface is good, they won't care. Having everything in One Big
File only works if all the data is the same KIND of data, which it seems
is not the case here.

Ask your user what is the issue with having all the data in one file?
Easier finds? Easier backups? Easier reports?  Define the issue, and
then solve the problem while maintaining proper data structure.  A
developer is there to make solutions work, but that does not mean
following customer orders that make no sense.

--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

1. loosing a couple of records while merging Databases Tables to a master DataBase

I have a program that runs on three sites, each with their own network but
not connected.  I didn't design it but stuck with using it.   I use JET and
and Access
7 database and mostly SQL calls.  So periodically
the user runs a routine that I have written that takes the data and simply
merges it,  it has worked flawlessly for about 10 times but now it looses
about 10 records out of 4 thousand or so, it is really weird.  The part that
is giving me the problem is this and the data is in the source but gets
lost, I can cut and paste using access fine, so I assume that the record
isn't locked or something, but it might be just what it is.

Set TransDataBase = OpenDatabase("f:\newtran\master\trans.mdb", False)
TransDataBase.Execute "DELETE * FROM ClientData ;"

Set Trans1 = OpenDatabase("f:\newtran\" & "\transfer\S.mdb", False)
Set Trans2 = OpenDatabase("f:\newtran\" & "\transfer\W.mdb", False)
Set Trans3 = OpenDatabase("f:\newtran\" & "\transfer\A.mdb", False)

sqlstring = "Insert Into clientData IN 'f:\newtran\master\trans.mdb'

Select * from [ClientData];"

Trans1.Execute (sqlstring)
Trans2.Execute (sqlstring)
Trans3.Execute (sqlstring)

TransDataBase.Close
Trans1.Close
Trans2.Close
Trans3.Close

2. SQL query apostrophie problem

3. PDOX 5.0 and Word Perfect Merge, HELP?

4. Informix FAQ

5. Foxpro 2.6 - Word Perfect 5.1 file merge

6. help with search in web form

7. two computers running slow, one is just perfect

8. Merge subscription deletes after a couple weeks.

9. Merging (import) two SQL2000 databases ... Please Help

10. One SQL Query To Merge Two Databases

11. Merging records between two non-replicated databases