search across files, two criteria, display results

search across files, two criteria, display results

Post by Maci » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:23:43

My question is: "can I search for a word across several files and then
display the results in another unique "display file"?

This is a database that stores different legal agreements, each of
which has a separate file i.e. patents, confidentiality agreements,
licenses etc.  In each of those there are many records relating to one
of let's say ten different *.  Now what I would like to do is
search all of the files for one of the * AND with a date range
(when they were created)  so that the result would spit out all
patents, agreements, and licenses that have the name of the drug in
them and the creation date specified.

OK so my idea so far is to have a separate script for each drug in the
parent files (find drug one, find drug two...) which is triggered by
another script from the "master search" file.  Once a script is
triggered it finds all the records in each file and then exports them
to the "master search" file (OK so actualy the "master search" file
would import the exported data but the result is mostly the same).
This would have to be done in every patent, agreement, license file
(lot's of work - would rather not do it)  THEN another script (in the
"master search" file) could be triggered to search the newly imported
records for the second criteria (date range) and after all the omitted
record were deleted I would finally have the final set of records.
Confusing, slow and involving many questionable steps (cut and paste)

I would really appreciate any help that you all can provide me with.
I have considered relating the Master search file to all the patent,
agreements ... files through an auto enter field that would contain
"A" or something like that.  This way all the records would be always
related to the master file, but I have not gone much further after
that.

Is this long enough?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Maciej

PS. I have been reading people's suggestions here for a long time and
they always seem very good.

Post by STL » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:52:20

> My question is: "can I search for a word across several files and then
> display the results in another unique "display file"?

Yes! You have just show the right way.
Here thea step by step solution where store the search criterias into global
fieldsand then use them for find data.

1. Create fix relationships between your "Main" file
    and the others.
2. Create into "Main" a find layout using global fields for storing
    your criteria
3. Save a clone with no record one of your files a name it
    "YourReportTable" for example
4. Create into every files a script which:
     4.1 finds data according to the criteria globa fields
     4.2 export found set to a temp filemaker files
5. Create into "YourReportTable" a script which sorts and show
    the data the way you need
6. Create a script into you "main" file which executes all scripts
    of points 4. and 5.

/Steve

create scripts in each file which use this global for finding

Quote:

> This is a database that stores different legal agreements, each of
> which has a separate file i.e. patents, confidentiality agreements,
> licenses etc.  In each of those there are many records relating to one
> of let's say ten different *.  Now what I would like to do is
> search all of the files for one of the * AND with a date range
> (when they were created)  so that the result would spit out all
> patents, agreements, and licenses that have the name of the drug in
> them and the creation date specified.

> OK so my idea so far is to have a separate script for each drug in the
> parent files (find drug one, find drug two...) which is triggered by
> another script from the "master search" file.  Once a script is
> triggered it finds all the records in each file and then exports them
> to the "master search" file (OK so actualy the "master search" file
> would import the exported data but the result is mostly the same).
> This would have to be done in every patent, agreement, license file
> (lot's of work - would rather not do it)  THEN another script (in the
> "master search" file) could be triggered to search the newly imported
> records for the second criteria (date range) and after all the omitted
> record were deleted I would finally have the final set of records.
> Confusing, slow and involving many questionable steps (cut and paste)

> I would really appreciate any help that you all can provide me with.
> I have considered relating the Master search file to all the patent,
> agreements ... files through an auto enter field that would contain
> "A" or something like that.  This way all the records would be always
> related to the master file, but I have not gone much further after
> that.

> Is this long enough?
> Any ideas?

> Thanks in advance
> Maciej

> PS. I have been reading people's suggestions here for a long time and
> they always seem very good.

1. How to Display Search Results Across Several Tables

I have several tables with identical fields.  Each table will be
searched in succession for certain records and each will likely return
at leat one record.  I would like to display all the results of these
searches at the same time in a grid.  I would greatly appreciate any
suggestions as to how to best accomplish this task.

Alan G Welsh

2. OLAP?

3. How do I display search results across pages???

4. Appropriate Forum for OCI questions ??

5. How to order mdx result by two criteria?

6. SQL Server behind Firewall

7. Searching Access DB with two criteria selection

8. CR for VB and Memo fields

9. Multitable select with two seperate search criteria.

10. How to search File B based on criteria in File A

11. can i search across two databases?...

12. Search results across multiple pages

13. Full text search results not displaying