Need Help ODBC Import Is Locking Out Web Companion

Need Help ODBC Import Is Locking Out Web Companion

Post by J. Sque » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:33:24

I have a Filemaker database connected to a Goldmine database via ODBC.
 Since Filemaker only offers the ability to do one-time-imports with
its ODBC driver I was forced to make filemaker import from Goldmine
thru ODBC via a script every 15 mins.

Goldmine users enter their records and then every 15 mins Filemaker
sweeps the database and imports new records.  I'm matching on e-mail
address and state and just importing new record adds and any changes.

This is working great with the exception of 2 things.

1.  Every 15 mins when the import happens, my solution is no longer
available via the web because the Web Companion is disabled during the
importing procedure.

2.  No other scripts are available during the import time.  The import
happens 4 times per hour (every 15 mins) and it takes roughly 5 mins
each time it performs the import.  So my solution is unavailable to
users 20% of the time.  1 out of 5 users who attempt to view, edit or
add records are denied access until the script has completed importing
records via ODBC.

Obviously this performance is unacceptable to the users.  My 2
questions are :

1.  How can I restructure this so that it works better ?

2.  Why do you think that Filemaker made a lame attempt at creating
ODBC capabilities ?  Filemakers ODBC is just one step short of having
to have other data sources just export records so that filemaker can
import them.  Where is the real time connectivity ?  I constantly
defend Filemaker when people laugh at me (i.e. Access Users, MySQL
users etc ...) But this is another example of why Filemaker is not
considered a serious database by the masses.

Don't flame me, I love the product, I'm just frustrated.

-S

Post by Tim Boot » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:15:08

> I have a Filemaker database connected to a Goldmine database via ODBC.
>  Since Filemaker only offers the ability to do one-time-imports with
> its ODBC driver I was forced to make filemaker import from Goldmine
> thru ODBC via a script every 15 mins.

> Goldmine users enter their records and then every 15 mins Filemaker
> sweeps the database and imports new records.  I'm matching on e-mail
> address and state and just importing new record adds and any changes.

> This is working great with the exception of 2 things.

> 1.  Every 15 mins when the import happens, my solution is no longer
> available via the web because the Web Companion is disabled during the
> importing procedure.

> 2.  No other scripts are available during the import time.  The import
> happens 4 times per hour (every 15 mins) and it takes roughly 5 mins
> each time it performs the import.  So my solution is unavailable to
> users 20% of the time.  1 out of 5 users who attempt to view, edit or
> add records are denied access until the script has completed importing
> records via ODBC.

> Obviously this performance is unacceptable to the users.  My 2
> questions are :

> 1.  How can I restructure this so that it works better ?

Use a better database architecture, where each machine does one
thing... Unfortunately, if you use one machine as a jack of all trades,
various bits suffer.

In a similar situation, I have a FileMaker Server holding the actual
databases, a FileMaker Unlimited box running from that to do web
serving, and another FleMaker Pro box for data imports and updating.

Depending on what people think the business is worth, this is the
only way to go in my book.

Cheers

Webko

1. New Person, Needs Help WEB COMPANION

I have my database open in the web companion.  I have my computer set to an
IP.  However, when I open the browser and try to connect to my site, the
dial-up window keeps opening and asking me if I want to work "Off Line" or
try to connect.  How can I get it to recognize my PC as the internet?

-D

2. SQL queries

3. Using PDM ODBC plug-in from Web Companion

4. Cut, Copy and Paste in the menu bar

5. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

6. 2.6 record editing window

7. Web Companion - Help

8. ADO connection

9. help web companion

10. Customizing Help File attached to Web Companion (FM5.5 Windows)

11. Web Companion Admin -- HELP!

12. Web Companion 5.5 help

13. Using Web Companion....HELP!