Emailing to a mailing list

Post by Ty Morto » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:58:56

I'm looking for a way to email a single message to multiple recipients on a
mailing list. The way that I have come up with so far is a script that goes
to a record, sends a message, goes to the next record, and so on. But with
upwards of 2,000 members on a list (and growing), that seems rather
impractical.

There must be a better way that I'm not seeing. Is there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Ty Morton

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by Ben Rollin » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:45:21

Quote:> I'm looking for a way to email a single message to multiple recipients on a
> mailing list. The way that I have come up with so far is a script that goes
> to a record, sends a message, goes to the next record, and so on. But with
> upwards of 2,000 members on a list (and growing), that seems rather
> impractical.

> There must be a better way that I'm not seeing. Is there?

There is - you'll probably need a plug-in, though, to do it most
effectively.

Essentially, in the same way you've looped through a found set of records to
create the email (in the other thread running on the NG at the moment), you
should create a loop that runs through and collects email addresses, and
then places them in the "BCC" field of your email. (That's Blind Carbon
Copy, which means you can't see who else the mail is addressed to.)

I believe there is a syntax for this in the "Send Mail" script step
(anyone?), but I use the SMTPit plug-in to achieve the same result. My
script groups email addresses in lots of 60 or thereabouts (more than that
gets unstable), so we can service our 3600 subscribers in about 60 emails.

Hope this helps as a starting point - otherwise you're stuck with individual
mails - which have the benefit, by the way, of being personalisable in a way
that grouped emails aren't...

Cheers,

Ben.

Quote:> Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

> Ty Morton

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by Todd Shay » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:16:10

> I'm looking for a way to email a single message to multiple recipients on
> mailing list. The way that I have come up with so far is a script that
> goes
> to a record, sends a message, goes to the next record, and so on. But
> with
> upwards of 2,000 members on a list (and growing), that seems rather
> impractical.

> There must be a better way that I'm not seeing. Is there?

> Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

> Ty Morton

I have a similar question.  With such a large list, it has been my
intention of sending the addresses through the Bcc (blind copy) field.
The built-in "Send Email" script step in Filemaker doesn't seem to allow
for sending addresses to the Bcc field.

I have written a script using the "Open URL" step and "mailto:" to send
addresses to the Bcc field.  This works fine except that there seems to
be a 200 character limit on the "Open URL" field so it only sends to a
very limited number of addresses.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to
send about 120 address to the Bcc field of Eudora Pro on Mac or Outlook
on Windows?

Thanks,

Todd Shays

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by ce.. » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:31:30

Hi Todd,

I have the same problem with sending 300 emails. After about 20, all the emails
become mixed-up with unappropriate characters. Did you find a solution?

Thanks in advance

Serge

Todd Shays a crit :

> > I'm looking for a way to email a single message to multiple recipients on
> > mailing list. The way that I have come up with so far is a script that
> > goes
> > to a record, sends a message, goes to the next record, and so on. But
> > with
> > upwards of 2,000 members on a list (and growing), that seems rather
> > impractical.

> > There must be a better way that I'm not seeing. Is there?

> > Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

> > Ty Morton

> I have a similar question.  With such a large list, it has been my
> intention of sending the addresses through the Bcc (blind copy) field.
> The built-in "Send Email" script step in Filemaker doesn't seem to allow
> for sending addresses to the Bcc field.

> I have written a script using the "Open URL" step and "mailto:" to send
> addresses to the Bcc field.  This works fine except that there seems to
> be a 200 character limit on the "Open URL" field so it only sends to a
> very limited number of addresses.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to
> send about 120 address to the Bcc field of Eudora Pro on Mac or Outlook
> on Windows?

> Thanks,

> Todd Shays

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by M.J. Schürho » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:29:08

Yesterday I send 339 e-mails using Outlook. Unfortunately, the
BCC-field is not supported, but I just send them to the CC-field. All
339 are transferred correctly to this field. I just copied all emails
to the BCC-field.

It would, of course, be better to have the e-mails directly into the
BCC-field (without using SMTPit). So, if anyone knows a solution,
please let me know.

Kind regards,
Manfred Schrhoff

>Hi Todd,

>I have the same problem with sending 300 emails. After about 20, all the emails
>become mixed-up with unappropriate characters. Did you find a solution?

>Thanks in advance

>Serge

>Todd Shays a crit :

>> > I'm looking for a way to email a single message to multiple recipients on
>> > mailing list. The way that I have come up with so far is a script that
>> > goes
>> > to a record, sends a message, goes to the next record, and so on. But
>> > with
>> > upwards of 2,000 members on a list (and growing), that seems rather
>> > impractical.

>> > There must be a better way that I'm not seeing. Is there?

>> > Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

>> > Ty Morton

>> I have a similar question.  With such a large list, it has been my
>> intention of sending the addresses through the Bcc (blind copy) field.
>> The built-in "Send Email" script step in Filemaker doesn't seem to allow
>> for sending addresses to the Bcc field.

>> I have written a script using the "Open URL" step and "mailto:" to send
>> addresses to the Bcc field.  This works fine except that there seems to
>> be a 200 character limit on the "Open URL" field so it only sends to a
>> very limited number of addresses.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to
>> send about 120 address to the Bcc field of Eudora Pro on Mac or Outlook
>> on Windows?

>> Thanks,

>> Todd Shays

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by sid » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:16:27

hello !

i had the same problem ...

my solution:

1. outlook-options: DO NOT send email immediately.

2. script in filemaker:
  show all records  /  e.g. perform a search before
  go to record [first]
  loop
    send mail [no dialog, "mailheader"]    /    incl. the email body text
    go to record [exit after last, next]
  end loop

this performs the immediately send to outlook but not to recipent. after
"spooling" to outlook i perfom the send all mail in outlook. work very fine.
this solution may allow you a personalized email text if you "produce" the
text in a formula ...

sidney.

> Yesterday I send 339 e-mails using Outlook. Unfortunately, the
> BCC-field is not supported, but I just send them to the CC-field. All
> 339 are transferred correctly to this field. I just copied all emails
> to the BCC-field.

> It would, of course, be better to have the e-mails directly into the
> BCC-field (without using SMTPit). So, if anyone knows a solution,
> please let me know.

> Kind regards,
> Manfred Schrhoff

> >Hi Todd,

> >I have the same problem with sending 300 emails. After about 20, all the
emails
> >become mixed-up with unappropriate characters. Did you find a solution?

> >Thanks in advance

> >Serge

> >Todd Shays a crit :

> >> I have a similar question.  With such a large list, it has been my
> >> intention of sending the addresses through the Bcc (blind copy) field.
> >> The built-in "Send Email" script step in Filemaker doesn't seem to
allow
> >> for sending addresses to the Bcc field.

> >> I have written a script using the "Open URL" step and "mailto:" to send
> >> addresses to the Bcc field.  This works fine except that there seems to
> >> be a 200 character limit on the "Open URL" field so it only sends to a
> >> very limited number of addresses.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to
> >> send about 120 address to the Bcc field of Eudora Pro on Mac or Outlook
> >> on Windows?

> >> Thanks,

> >> Todd Shays

Emailing to a mailing list

Post by Ruben van den Boogaar » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:43:20

Hi!,

I prefer the SMTPit plug-in, but it can also be done with applescript on a Mac, or DDE on Windows.

I have a demo if you like. . .

Ruben van den Boogaard
Magic Potion