format lost when text field used on letter layout

format lost when text field used on letter layout

Post by Christine Artu » Tue, 20 May 2003 04:15:17

I have file mail_text containing letters: main fields contain
code
short description
subject
message

The user can search for any subset of people, choose from the list of
letters, send a personal letter to each person and store the code and date
(in another table) so that it is possible to see a list of all letters which
have been sent to each person. Letters can be introduced at any time and
re-used any number of times.

The problem is that although the message field can be set up with individual
words in bold, italic etc and this can be seen in the mail_text file, when
it is viewed in the letter layout, all the text is plain, and all the
formatting needs to be re-set before printing.

Can anyone suggest why the formatting is lost and how it can be retained?

thanks in advance

Christine Artus

format lost when text field used on letter layout

Post by John Weinshe » Tue, 20 May 2003 04:37:30

You are describing a common Filemaker problem. Text formatting is not passed
as a field value. It sounds as though the letter text is entered with local
formatting that over-rides the field formatting. If you place a copy of the
same field on the layout, but apply different formatting in layout mode, you
will see that only the color shows up in the new field iteration when you
apply local formatting to the first iteration. If you use SetField[] to pass
the text, you don't even get the color.

If you use Copy and Paste, the local formatting will be retained, but this
is an awkward method, requiring changing layouts. You might consider using
EZxslt:

http://www.chapsoft.com/ezxslt/index.html

...which populates select text in a Word document with Filemaker field
values.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> I have file mail_text containing letters: main fields contain
> code
> short description
> subject
> message

> The user can search for any subset of people, choose from the list of
> letters, send a personal letter to each person and store the code and date
> (in another table) so that it is possible to see a list of all letters
which
> have been sent to each person. Letters can be introduced at any time and
> re-used any number of times.

> The problem is that although the message field can be set up with
individual
> words in bold, italic etc and this can be seen in the mail_text file, when
> it is viewed in the letter layout, all the text is plain, and all the
> formatting needs to be re-set before printing.

> Can anyone suggest why the formatting is lost and how it can be retained?

> thanks in advance

> Christine Artus

format lost when text field used on letter layout

Post by Christine Art » Sun, 25 May 2003 00:34:59

Thanks John and I have got this working now (bold and italic - I don't
need colour, and have not tried this).

In case anyone looks this up later, I'll mention that I was copying
into a global in my control file. This global field is of course on
the letter layout, but it also needs to be on the layout where I run
the script which does a copy and paste, and as that contains a record
list, the global field needs to be in the body of the layout - i.e. at
the end of every row.

Thanks again

Christine

1. Moving text between fields without losing formatting

I am sure this had been asked before, but I couldn't find a recent post
on it.

I want to move text from one field to another, without losing any of the
formatting (font, superscript etc).
But the real problem is, I want to move it a line at a time, adding
something to the end of some of the lines.
Set field loses formatting.
Any suggestions?

Rick Tearle
MicroArray Products Manager
GeneWorks

2. Informix 5.0, 5.01 and I-Net PC

3. Formatting text in envelop layout mode

4. Empty Selection

5. Converting calc field to text field w/o losing data

6. DATA WAREHOUSE Positions (100K+++)

7. Removing Rich Text Formatting From Text Field

8. MILISECONDS IN ORACLE

9. Text Area Formatting Lost In Database

10. Applying new text formats to a text field

11. Text formatting: insert fields into text and resizing...

12. Export: Format Output using current layout (not working)

13. Go Layout via layout number from field