Simple Problem with Fonts in FM3

Post by michael_p.. » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:17:37

Hello friends!

I'm a Filemaker user and fan from WAY back (since the Nashoba Systems
days!) and I'd sure like your help with what is probably an easy and
time-worn problem: I had heard about the "font problems" on the newer
versions of Filemaker for some time and so had resisted upgrading since
I was comfortable with the versions I had for my type of uses.
Eventually, I started using Filemaker Pro 3.0v1 on the PC and ran into
an annoying nuisance which I'm sure will seem like ancient history for
most of you: it seems that when you enter information in a particular
layout, you can't globally change the font and size the way you could
previously by simply specifying it differently in another layout.
Apparently, you are supposed to "highlight and change" each record
individually for some reason.  Why this would be considered an
improvement, I have no idea.

Essentially I want to continue to do what I assume a lot of other people
do as well: enter my data in a relatively large font which is easy on
the eyes and then print it out as lists which are in a smaller, more
space efficient font. After consulting the manual and the help menu and
fiddling around with it for some time, the "new" Filemaker seems to
stubbornly resist what the older versions did easily.

I'd appreciate any insight you all could give me into this!

Thanks!

Simple Problem with Fonts in FM3

Post by John Weinshe » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:43:42

In Browse mode, text formatting can be modified only a field at a time. In
Layout mode, all text objects (fields and layout text) can be selected at
once for modification.

The normal solution for what you describe is to build separate layouts for
data entry and for printing.

--

John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> Hello friends!

> I'm a Filemaker user and fan from WAY back (since the Nashoba Systems
> days!) and I'd sure like your help with what is probably an easy and
> time-worn problem: I had heard about the "font problems" on the newer
> versions of Filemaker for some time and so had resisted upgrading since
> I was comfortable with the versions I had for my type of uses.
> Eventually, I started using Filemaker Pro 3.0v1 on the PC and ran into
> an annoying nuisance which I'm sure will seem like ancient history for
> most of you: it seems that when you enter information in a particular
> layout, you can't globally change the font and size the way you could
> previously by simply specifying it differently in another layout.
> Apparently, you are supposed to "highlight and change" each record
> individually for some reason.  Why this would be considered an
> improvement, I have no idea.

> Essentially I want to continue to do what I assume a lot of other people
> do as well: enter my data in a relatively large font which is easy on
> the eyes and then print it out as lists which are in a smaller, more
> space efficient font. After consulting the manual and the help menu and
> fiddling around with it for some time, the "new" Filemaker seems to
> stubbornly resist what the older versions did easily.

> I'd appreciate any insight you all could give me into this!

> Thanks!

1. Large font and small font problem

Hello VB Programmer,

    I have design a few forms in VB 5 in win95 with small font
selected in the screen setup, and another person open my form in his
computer in large font, and when he open the form many control display
is very different from my, especially for those controls with a
caption on them.

   Is there a way to avoid this from happening ?

   Thanks

   Arthur

2. TechTips: How to think about a [select] query

3. fonts, fonts, on the wall, may the fonts come out

4. DLL and pro*C

5. printing problem on FM5 with a FM3 database

6. Newbie Receipts for Invoices

7. !simple problem! This simple SP only runs sometimes

8. ODBC Drivers error '80004005' (with Sybase 12 & asp)

9. Simple labels problem...Simple answer??

11. Font Size: Pdox 5.0 reports micro/super size fonts

12. Changing Font Color Also Changes Font?

13. Small fonts vs. large fonts