FMP 5 Mac, Many:Many summary report problems

FMP 5 Mac, Many:Many summary report problems

Post by Jessica Theod » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have been trying to figure this out for days now - I know this should be
easy, but I cannot seem to get it.
I have a 3 table relational design, Localities, Species, and a join table. They
are set up to manage a many-to-many relationship, because a locality may have
many species found in it, and a species may appear in many localities. So far,
so good, and the data entry section of my application is finished and working
fine.
However, I can't seem to generate the reports I need. I am trying to summarize
the species found at each locality by some attribute of the species, say the
Family it belongs to (as an example, I have a lot of different ones to
generate). So what I want is a listing by locality, summarized by family, with
subtotals:

Locality 1
        Family Aidae
                Aus a
                Aus b
                        Total species of Family Aidae at Loc. 1: 2
        Family Bidae
                Bus c
                Bus d
                Bus e
                        Total species of Family Bidae at Loc. 1: 3

                        Total Species at Locality 1 in all Families: 5
and so on for each locality.

When I have tried to generate this report, either using the report layout
wizard or manually, I get the first Family name and the count field shows the
total number of taxa listed in the Join Table. This happens regardless of what
subsummary the count field is listed in. I have tried creating the count as a
summary field in the join table because I cannot see the fields that need
counting from the Localities table. I have tried setting up the reports in both
the Localities table and in the Join Table, and I get weird results either way.
Please tell me if this is something simple that I am screwing up, and how to
fix it. I have spent hours with the manual, the FMPro 5 Bible, and on the web,
and can't seem to get any answers.
Thanks very much in advance,

Jessica Theodor

FMP 5 Mac, Many:Many summary report problems

Post by Jame » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Jessica -

This report should work if you run it in the join database ( FMPro doesn't use
tables ).  How are you doing your sort?  I created a roughly similar ten-minute
model and plugged in some records, and in the join database created a report layout
of extended columnar type with the parts:

Header
Sub-summary when sorted by Locale
Sub-summary when sorted by Family
Body
Footer

I put headings in the Header, pretty much just as you have them, and then put the
field "Locale" in the Sub-summary by Locale, the field "Family" in the Sub-summary
by Family ( a bit to the right ), and the field "Species" in the Body ( another bit
to the right ).  I made a summary field = Count of "Species" and put it in the
Sub-summary by Family, which is a little different than your example, but it must
be there to summarize properly.  I gave it a text label "Number of Species in
Family <<Family>> in Locale <<Locale>>" with merge fields as indicated, and placed
the text label in the same part.  Then I put the same summary field in the
Sub-summary by Locale, with the appropriate text label.

When I sort by Locale, then Family, and go to Preview my report looks pretty much
like you want.  I hope this is helpful, please give it a try and let me know if you
still have problems.

Best of Luck -
James

> I have been trying to figure this out for days now - I know this should be
> easy, but I cannot seem to get it.
> I have a 3 table relational design, Localities, Species, and a join table. They
> are set up to manage a many-to-many relationship, because a locality may have
> many species found in it, and a species may appear in many localities. So far,
> so good, and the data entry section of my application is finished and working
> fine.
> However, I can't seem to generate the reports I need. I am trying to summarize
> the species found at each locality by some attribute of the species, say the
> Family it belongs to (as an example, I have a lot of different ones to
> generate). So what I want is a listing by locality, summarized by family, with
> subtotals:

> Locality 1
>         Family Aidae
>                 Aus a
>                 Aus b
>                         Total species of Family Aidae at Loc. 1: 2
>         Family Bidae
>                 Bus c
>                 Bus d
>                 Bus e
>                         Total species of Family Bidae at Loc. 1: 3

>                         Total Species at Locality 1 in all Families: 5
> and so on for each locality.

> When I have tried to generate this report, either using the report layout
> wizard or manually, I get the first Family name and the count field shows the
> total number of taxa listed in the Join Table. This happens regardless of what
> subsummary the count field is listed in. I have tried creating the count as a
> summary field in the join table because I cannot see the fields that need
> counting from the Localities table. I have tried setting up the reports in both
> the Localities table and in the Join Table, and I get weird results either way.
> Please tell me if this is something simple that I am screwing up, and how to
> fix it. I have spent hours with the manual, the FMPro 5 Bible, and on the web,
> and can't seem to get any answers.
> Thanks very much in advance,

> Jessica Theodor

1. FMP Server 5.5 under Mac OSX - problems with backup

Hi,

I have jsut read an article under the Filemaker  KB (article 107751)
describing how the FMP Server 5.5 Backup schedule works only
intermittently and that in order to fix this one has to set up a cron
job with a perl file to do the job.

<rant>
In my installation of FMP server 5.5 NO schedules run for backup.  I
find it unbelievable that Filemaker has identified this as a problem,
provide a workaround but do not say that they are developing a patch to
get this to work properly.  Don't they test this things out before they
shop the products out?  and if they do, and know of the problem, why
don't they fix it and provide a patch?

Although I have experience writing perl scripts and setting them up to
run on Mac OSX, I don't want to do this. We paid, dearly at that for an
upgrade - what was it? AU$100 chepaer than the retail version?- , for a
product that we all expect to be functional, at least as functional as
the previous version, and that is what I want to do, use its
functionality to the fullest.
</rant>

Has anyone found another resolution for this issue, or received any
response from Filemaker?

Petri

2. Pleaseeeeeeee Help me!!

3. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

4. What is wrong in this function

5. Problem with summary in Cristal Report 4.0

6. Example Code: Interactive SELECT using sh & awk

7. Problem w/ summary field on report

8. Is There Any Method!!!

9. Problem with summary report

10. Report Summary Band Problem!

11. Report summary problem

12. FMP to WWW: Summary fields

13. Summary of Summary of Summary of Totals....