5.5 and Execute SQL

Post by Scorpi » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:37:39

Hi all,

I am trying to convert a Filemaker Pro database into Oracle. This will
allow us to get rid of FM Pro server and at least double the speed.
We intend to use the FM Pro 'databases' as the logic and the gui -
just move data into and out of Oracle tables.

So far, I have made it work up to the select sql statements. Update,
delete and insert all work fine.

So, does anyone have experience with the select sql statements?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

5.5 and Execute SQL

Post by Paul Brunea » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:07:54

I think you are heading down a road to disappointment. Others with more
experience can verify this or refute it, but my feeling is that by
relying on sql transactions to and from a filemaker front end, that it
will much slower than FM and FM Server.

Why do you want to get rid of Server anyway?

PB

> Hi all,

> I am trying to convert a Filemaker Pro database into Oracle. This will
> allow us to get rid of FM Pro server and at least double the speed.
> We intend to use the FM Pro 'databases' as the logic and the gui -
> just move data into and out of Oracle tables.

> So far, I have made it work up to the select sql statements. Update,
> delete and insert all work fine.

> So, does anyone have experience with the select sql statements?

> Thanks in advance!

> Dave

5.5 and Execute SQL

Post by Scorpi » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:27:46

The server (5.0vx) is slow - theresponse so far just doing an import
alone from Oracle tables is 2 x as fast - while filemaker is a great
db in a small (5-10 users) environment, it does lose much when there
are 100 users trying to use it --- if we can solve our issues with the
5.5 server, maybe that will help but it is basically Oracle very Lite
--- any speed improvement that we can coax out of it will help!

5.5 and Execute SQL

Post by Paul Brunea » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:16:23

Yes, FM is slow to import in general, so don't import. Does your
solution require large imports? Again, I don't think you will see an
improvement in speed using FM for a front end to a sql server backend.
FM is very able to handle 100 users in a speedy way. Good luck tho.

PB

> The server (5.0vx) is slow - theresponse so far just doing an import
> alone from Oracle tables is 2 x as fast - while filemaker is a great
> db in a small (5-10 users) environment, it does lose much when there
> are 100 users trying to use it --- if we can solve our issues with the
> 5.5 server, maybe that will help but it is basically Oracle very Lite
> --- any speed improvement that we can coax out of it will help!

1. Server 5.5 and FMP 5.5 on same computer

Anybody run into problems with running FMServer and FMP 5.5 on the same
computer? When I go to edit a db with FMP while the same machine is hosting,
I get a windows error and the whole program crashes. Please help...it's
pretty frustrating. Is there a patch out there for this sort of problem?

Thank you.

2. Tandem's NS-SQL to DB2 Data transfer

3. Pro 5.5, os x 10.1.1, server 5.5

4. US-FL Oracle Development

5. Filemaker Pro 5.0 vs 5.5 and FMDeveloper 5.0 vs 5.5

6. dbAnywhere and Illustra?

7. Server 5.5 and FM 5.5

8. SQL Mail in SQL 2000 and Exchange 5.5

9. Defining a SQL Anywhere 5.5 has a subscriber to SQL Server 6.5

10. Upgrade SQL Server 5.5 to SQL 2000

11. HELP: Converting delphi project from MS-SQL to SQL Anywhere 5.5