Restricting detail records in a portal

Post by Alan Hammo » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:45:22

I have a typical order/order detail pair of tables.  The main order
table has fields like client, date, and other fields that pertain to
the entire order. The detail table has one row for each order line. I
need to summarize (count, sum) info about the detail lines. User's get
to pick (indirectly as this app will run on the web) what kind of
detail lines they are interested in. I have a relationship from
master-detail, and from the master table I've been able to restrict
the found set to those records with appropriate detail records. What I
have not been able to do is to restrict the portal for each master row
to show only the detail records that meet the user's criteria.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Alan Hammond

Post by B Collin » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:29:31

> I have a typical order/order detail pair of tables.  The main order
> table has fields like client, date, and other fields that pertain to
> the entire order. The detail table has one row for each order line. I
> need to summarize (count, sum) info about the detail lines. User's get
> to pick (indirectly as this app will run on the web) what kind of
> detail lines they are interested in. I have a relationship from
> master-detail, and from the master table I've been able to restrict
> the found set to those records with appropriate detail records. What I
> have not been able to do is to restrict the portal for each master row
> to show only the detail records that meet the user's criteria.  Any
> ideas?

> Thanks,

> Alan Hammond

Seems to me you would need to make a relationship that includes the
user's criteria, then base the portal and portal fields on that relationship.

Bill

1. FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

When I use a portal to display related records

1. Is it possible to filter the records and display only the related records
that confirm some creteria. For example to display not all but the orders of
one customer in a specified date range.
2. Is it possible to disable the ability to add new records in a portal (but
I still want to edit some fields of the existing records)

2. Walkabout Reporting Software

3. Sorting detail records in a master detail relation.

4. contacting Datamation

5. Problem when inserting records in the detail table (master/detail relation)

6. How to Determine Current DB size??

7. Link multiple datagrids to a single record (Master\Detail Form with multiple details)

8. How to check lock in DB-LIB

9. existence of detail record in detail table

10. HELP: Master-detail form: sequence of detail records

11. How2 restrict view in linked detail table?

12. More Detail on Portal Row?

13. Changing Key Fields in Master Record without Orphaning Detail Records