FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by marah » Wed, 23 May 2001 01:44:57

Hi,
Trial  FM 5.5 is having guest limit of 1050, FM 5 is having limit of 12. Do
they have Unlimited anymore?
Regards
MarttiH

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Kevin Haye » Wed, 23 May 2001 11:48:00

> Hi,
> Trial  FM 5.5 is having guest limit of 1050, FM 5 is having limit of 12. Do
> they have Unlimited anymore?
> Regards
> MarttiH

1050? You mean 10. Yes 5.5 still has the same limit, and there is (or
will be) an Unlimited 5.5 version.

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by David Emps » Thu, 24 May 2001 00:04:37

> It's 1050. So what is difference between FileMaker and Filemaker unlimited?
> Regards

I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you can
do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from being
used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
expiry time.

The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when it
is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the standard
version.)

Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
<http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Bob Pati » Thu, 24 May 2001 01:39:30

> > It's 1050. So what is difference between FileMaker and Filemaker unlimited?
> > Regards

> I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you can
> do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
> guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from being
> used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
> expiry time.

> The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
> client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

> FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
> number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when it
> is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the standard
> version.)

> Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
> <http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

If Unlimited has additional features other than the # of IP addresses
that can hit a database, I can't find them. In fact, the install program
is the same file; the only difference is the product code you use to
register the program.

Unlimited allows up to 230 users as opposed to 10 for the standard
FileMaker 5. Other than that, I see absolutely no difference between the
2 products. Why FileMaker chooses to charge such a huge amt. for
Unlimited is beyond me; they should sell Unlimited for the price of
standard FileMaker, since they're the same other than IP access. I've
always felt that, although I love FileMaker and use it all the time for
both web and non-web applications, their upgrade policies were too
severe.

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Dave Barret » Thu, 24 May 2001 07:33:10

> > > It's 1050. So what is difference between FileMaker and Filemaker
unlimited?
> > > Regards

> > I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you can
> > do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
> > guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from being
> > used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
> > expiry time.

> > The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
> > client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

> > FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
> > number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when it
> > is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the standard
> > version.)

> > Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
> > <http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

> If Unlimited has additional features other than the # of IP addresses
> that can hit a database, I can't find them. In fact, the install program
> is the same file; the only difference is the product code you use to
> register the program.

> Unlimited allows up to 230 users as opposed to 10 for the standard
> FileMaker 5. Other than that, I see absolutely no difference between the
> 2 products. Why FileMaker chooses to charge such a huge amt. for
> Unlimited is beyond me; they should sell Unlimited for the price of
> standard FileMaker, since they're the same other than IP access. I've
> always felt that, although I love FileMaker and use it all the time for
> both web and non-web applications, their upgrade policies were too
> severe.

It is a little weak... but they are trying to climb into the same market as

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Tim Boot » Thu, 24 May 2001 07:33:52

> > > It's 1050. So what is difference between FileMaker and Filemaker unlimited?
> > > Regards

> > I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you can
> > do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
> > guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from being
> > used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
> > expiry time.

I query the 1050 limit personally, but have not downloaded
the demo to check fully... more on this shortly.

Quote:

> > The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
> > client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

10 IP addresses in a rolling 12 hour period, either FM-FM or
through the web to Web Companion.

Quote:

> > FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
> > number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when it
> > is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the standard
> > version.)

> > Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
> > <http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

> If Unlimited has additional features other than the # of IP addresses
> that can hit a database, I can't find them. In fact, the install program
> is the same file; the only difference is the product code you use to
> register the program.

You are correct - the one, the only, difference noted is
# of connecting IPs.

Quote:

> Unlimited allows up to 230 users

Really?? Dang, that blows my 100,000 hits a day webserver
clean out of the water ;-)
Unless you're talking a FM-FM limitation on connections - and
if you're getting 230 users a day that way, you should be
using Server in any case...

Quote:> as opposed to 10 for the standard
> FileMaker 5. Other than that, I see absolutely no difference between the
> 2 products. Why FileMaker chooses to charge such a huge amt. for
> Unlimited is beyond me; they should sell Unlimited for the price of
> standard FileMaker, since they're the same other than IP access. I've
> always felt that, although I love FileMaker and use it all the time for
> both web and non-web applications, their upgrade policies were too
> severe.

Well, although the premium for FM 5 U is steep, with the amount
of web use I see, I don't have much of a choice :-)
And I got Server to look after the FM-FM activity as well
this time around (which I wish, in hindsight, I had done
with FM4 as well....)

Cheers

Webko

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Dave Barret » Thu, 24 May 2001 07:34:30

Disregard that... wasn't supposed to be posted in this thread at all.
-Dave

> unlimited?

> > > I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you
can
> > > do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
> > > guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from
being
> > > used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
> > > expiry time.

> > > The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
> > > client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

> > > FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
> > > number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when
it
> > > is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the
standard
> > > version.)

> > > Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
> > > <http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

> > If Unlimited has additional features other than the # of IP addresses
> > that can hit a database, I can't find them. In fact, the install program
> > is the same file; the only difference is the product code you use to
> > register the program.

> > Unlimited allows up to 230 users as opposed to 10 for the standard
> > FileMaker 5. Other than that, I see absolutely no difference between the
> > 2 products. Why FileMaker chooses to charge such a huge amt. for
> > Unlimited is beyond me; they should sell Unlimited for the price of
> > standard FileMaker, since they're the same other than IP access. I've
> > always felt that, although I love FileMaker and use it all the time for
> > both web and non-web applications, their upgrade policies were too
> > severe.

> It is a little weak... but they are trying to climb into the same market
as

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Bob Pati » Thu, 24 May 2001 14:09:45

says...

> > > I expect the trial version has an IP guest limit of 1050 so that you can
> > > do reasonable experimentation on a large Intranet with several IP
> > > guests, but it has other severe restrictions which prevent it from being
> > > used for anything practical, such as record limits, watermarks, and an
> > > expiry time.

> I query the 1050 limit personally, but have not downloaded
> the demo to check fully... more on this shortly.

> > > The full version of FileMaker Pro 5.5 almost certainly has the same IP
> > > client limit as 5.0 (10, according to their web site, not 12).

> 10 IP addresses in a rolling 12 hour period, either FM-FM or
> through the web to Web Companion.

> > > FileMaker Pro 5.0 Unlimited has no limit (or a very high limit) on the
> > > number of IP clients, and this will also apply to Unlimited 5.5 when it
> > > is released.  (Unlimited costs about four times as much as the standard
> > > version.)

> > > Unlimited has some additional features, which I'm sure that
> > > <http://www.filemaker.com> can explain better than I can.

> > If Unlimited has additional features other than the # of IP addresses
> > that can hit a database, I can't find them. In fact, the install program
> > is the same file; the only difference is the product code you use to
> > register the program.

> You are correct - the one, the only, difference noted is
> # of connecting IPs.

> > Unlimited allows up to 230 users

> Really?? Dang, that blows my 100,000 hits a day webserver
> clean out of the water ;-)
> Unless you're talking a FM-FM limitation on connections - and
> if you're getting 230 users a day that way, you should be
> using Server in any case...

Well, I <think> it means 230 different IP addresses in a 12-hour period
(I'm guessing here about the 12-hour period, but that would follow, since
that's how the regular Filemaker's limits are); I agree about using
Server and using Unlimited as the 'conduit' for the web, but
unfortunately Server won't work by itself to serve databases on the web.
Shame too... but I will say (and you, Webko, were my 1st source of
inspiration on doing this stuff) that FM works great for doing sites
built from databases. I saw a site here in Nashville that is done
completely with FileMaker (http://www.musicrow.com) and was so inspired
that I rewrote my company site (http://www.songpitch.com) and it's now
derived about 95% from databases. Works great too, if I do say so myself!

I just wish they'd gone all the way with 5.5 and added menu control...
finished products would certainly look better with custom menus, which 4D
does now.

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Philippe Can » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:31:28

test please ignore

Since Office Developer XP installation my newsreader hangs when i hit the
send button?

FM 5.5 and IP guest limit

Post by Philippe Can » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:20:40

sorry guys,
from outlook view news, it hangs up.
from internet exploder, tools read news, it works fine.
now let's back to filemaker.
:~}
Philippe

Quote:> test please ignore

> Since Office Developer XP installation my newsreader hangs when i hit the
> send button?

1. Server 5.5 and FM 5.5

Using Filemaker server 5.5 I still have the need for Filemaker License in
each computer ?

For a office with 10 - 14 PC (windows 98 and 2K) which option is the best ?
Unlimited or 10 - 14 of FM licenses or FM server?

TIA

Shai Ben Mordechai

--
Voice:  972-2-642-6256
Mobile: 972-54-723-400

2. Combining char Fields

3. FM 5.5 vs FM 3.0

4. pgsql/src/bin/pg_config pg_config.sh

5. FM Dev 5 and FM Pro 5.5 compatibility

6. vertical partitioning

7. FM 4 (Mac) to FM 5.5 (Win)

8. fm server 5.5/rh 8.0

9. FM Server 5.5 and RedHat 8.0

10. Differences between FM Server 5 and 5.5 ?

11. Automated scripts in FM 5.5

12. Workaround for FM 5.5, 6 crashes with web companion