Dynamic Portal?

Post by Joe Wass » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Something like that anyway.
Database A has a field called equipment.
Database B has a field called equipment. Databse B is rather large with
many pieces of equipment by a few manufacturers.
As you type letters into the field in A the list in B (in a portal) gets
shorter.
Example;
A                   B
Y                   all equipment that starts with the letter Y
YA                 all equipment that starts with YA
YAM              all equipment that starts with YAM

I would like it to change as I type without having to go to browse mode or
anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

Joe Wasser

North Springs Pro Audio
Pro Audio Installations and Products

Dynamic Portal?

Post by Andrew LeCate » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Something like that anyway.
>Database A has a field called equipment.
>Database B has a field called equipment. Databse B is rather large with
>many pieces of equipment by a few manufacturers.
>As you type letters into the field in A the list in B (in a portal) gets
>shorter.
>Example;
>A                   B
>Y                   all equipment that starts with the letter Y
>YA                 all equipment that starts with YA
>YAM              all equipment that starts with YAM

>I would like it to change as I type without having to go to browse mode or
>anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

>Joe Wasser

>North Springs Pro Audio
>Pro Audio Installations and Products

Joe,

I posted the following for someone else.  Here it is again so you don't miss
it:

------------------
I'm going to try to keep this simple.  You might find a solution file at
Chris Moyer's web page at http://www.fmpro.com.

First, in the file that has the "Johnson etc." field (let's call that field
"Name") - add a calculation field called "key_Name"

key_Name (calc, text, indexed) =   Left(Name, 1) & "CR" & Left(Name, 2) &
"CR" &
     Left(Name, 3) & "CR" & Left(Name, 4) & "CR" & Left(Name, 5) & "CR" &
     Left(Name, 6) & "CR" & Left(Name, 7) & "CR" & Left(Name, 8) & "CR" &
     Left(Name, 9) & "CR" & Name  ]

Quote:>> Note substitute the paragraph/carriage return symbol for CR in the above calc. <<

Next, in the file where you want the portal:

Create a global field called "filter_Names" (text global).  Next create a
relationship from this file to the names database (filter_Names::key_Name).
Make sure that Create Related and Delete Related are turned OFF in this
relationship.

Finally, create a portal based on this relationship.  Place the global field
on the same layout. Place whatever fields from the names file you desire in
the portal.

Type "J" and the enter key and you will get Jones and Johnson and Jameson.
Type "Jo" and the enter key and you will get Jones and Johnson.
Type "Jon" and the enter key and you will get Jones.

You might place a button on the layout titled "refresh portal."  Define that
button to do NOTHING.  That button will then compel users to click out of
the field, which triggers the relationship to update the portal.

This is a very simple thing.  If I've made it confusing here, I apologize.
I might be able to send you an example file.  But please first check Chris
Moyer's home page, or perhaps some of the links he has on his site.

Good luck,

Andrew

1. Dynamic portal sizing

I have an interfacing challenge.

I would like to produce a layout (or series of layouts) that give the
ability to expand several portals to fit their contents.

e.g. Where a list of orders for a particular job contains four orders, when
you click on the header (button) the header expands to show the four orders.

In other words I need to be able to take the number of records for the
portal and use it to adjust the size of the portal.

Anyone out there with any ideas?

Thanks - TerribleToll

2. ORACLEDBA MAILING LIST EXISTS

3. FMPro 5 - Portal & Dynamic Value List Questions

4. SQL Query gives No results, No Errors!!!???

5. Oracle Portal vs Novell Portal

6. Informix Through Perl

7. To Portal or not to Portal

8. A complicated issue...

9. Add item in line item portal from another portal

10. FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

11. Copy Portal to Portal

12. Displaying a portal based on a portal

13. Portal for line of data in a portal?