username & password

Post by Matt Davi » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:46:33

I know this is possible but I dont know how its done!

I want users to be presented with a log on screen when they open a database.
I want them to enter username and password. I then want to be able to use
their username to track their records.

How is this done with a dialog box?

Matt

username & password

Post by LynnAll » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:05:36

> I know this is possible but I dont know how its done!

> I want users to be presented with a log on screen when they open a database.
> I want them to enter username and password. I then want to be able to use
> their username to track their records.

> How is this done with a dialog box?

Either use the Dialog Magic plugin, or create your own "dialog box"
screen.

--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

username & password

Post by John Weinshe » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:43:56

To create your own setup, you'll need a new file ("Logon") that stores the
name and password. You then control entry via an opening script in the main
file that takes the user to a logon screen-- I use a separate layout-- with
two empty global fields ("gName" and "gPassword"). The script then loops
through a pause, while the name and password are entered, and then (using a
Resume Script button on the layout) tests the combination against the
records stored in the Logon file. If a match is made, the loop is exited and
the rest of the opening script continues. You can build the 'otherwise' as
you like, either with a counter that allows a certain number of attempts
before either quitting the application or closing all the files, or an "I
Give Up" button that does the same.

Remember to keep "Allow User Abort" ON while testing your loop.
--

John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> I know this is possible but I dont know how its done!

> I want users to be presented with a log on screen when they open a
database.
> I want them to enter username and password. I then want to be able to use
> their username to track their records.

> How is this done with a dialog box?

> Matt

username & password

Post by Bill » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 07:45:45

How does one deal with the constant annoyance (for me) of -

1.  I develop a database - In my office it looks & works perfectly.
2.  I go to implement the database on one or more Mac users computers and -

The Screen Resolutions and Available Fonts being different from machine to
machine cause constant problems when I go to set up the database on a
clients computer. Something always needs tweaking. Happened to me again
today!

If I designed the screen size around a resolution of say 800X600 or larger
(because that client has a large monitor) and a different user wants to use
the database and has a Mac with 640X480 there is a problem. Part of the
layout is now off of the screen and scroll bars must be used to see
everything.

Is there a way to adjust screen/layout sizes on the fly so they look the
same from machine to machine regardless of resolutions???

ABout Fonts - If fonts don't match from machine to machine this also goofs
up my layouts because the fonts frequently show up differently or of a
different size on the screen on a different computer than the one it was
designed on.

What can I do about these 2 issues?

THANKS in advance!

username & password

Post by LynnAll » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:15:48

> How does one deal with the constant annoyance (for me) of -

> 1.  I develop a database - In my office it looks & works perfectly.
> 2.  I go to implement the database on one or more Mac users computers and -

> The Screen Resolutions and Available Fonts being different from machine to
> machine cause constant problems when I go to set up the database on a
> clients computer. Something always needs tweaking. Happened to me again
> today!

> If I designed the screen size around a resolution of say 800X600 or larger
> (because that client has a large monitor) and a different user wants to use
> the database and has a Mac with 640X480 there is a problem. Part of the
> layout is now off of the screen and scroll bars must be used to see
> everything.

> Is there a way to adjust screen/layout sizes on the fly so they look the
> same from machine to machine regardless of resolutions???

Yes, but maintaining and switching to different size layouts is a major
pain. (See the Status(CurrrentScreenHeight) and S(CSWidth) functions.)

Some of the first questions I ask during initial client meetings is
"what platforms are you using in your network? How big are your monitors
and what resolution is most commonly used? Are there people who use low
screen rez who need to be accommodated? What's the lowest common
denominator?"

Then I put a clause in my contract delineating the agreed upon
resolution the files will be optimized for. If someone likes their
screen REALLY BIG, let them scroll. If they like it REALLY SMALL, let
them squint.  For most users, it will be just right. ;)

You also might consider an interim "look & feel" progress meeting with
the clients, when you have a couple of layouts developed. This gives you
a good perspective and lets you make major changes before major work is
done. I often tie this to a progress payment milestone.

Quote:

> ABout Fonts - If fonts don't match from machine to machine this also goofs
> up my layouts because the fonts frequently show up differently or of a
> different size on the screen on a different computer than the one it was
> designed on.

Do not use platform specific fonts. Period. Use crossplatform fonts. All
current Macs now come with an Arial font installed which converts really
closely to PC Arial. Watch out, at certain sizes the Mac side can be
bold and not show, but it does show as bold on the PC. If your current
Mac does not have Arial, Microsoft has some downloadable free (!!) fonts
on their website. You can't package them with your solution, but you can
direct your clients to go download and install them. ;) Some people also
like Verdana as a crossplatform font, though I find the letterspacing a
bit wide. It's very readable and attractive, though, and comes standard
on new Macs and PCs.  Do not use Helvetica if you ever plan to put a
solution on a PC or a mixed network. It transforms to Arial, but the
letterspacing is so different you can have lots of problems with
wordwrap in buttons and text blocks and it's just a pain.

Don't use fancy fonts. Just stick with the plain Arial or Verdana, and
you'll have minimal problems. You'll have fewer font problems developing
on the PC and then tweaking on the Mac, but let's face it, we rarely do
it that way because it's far easier to work layouts on the Mac. :)

--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

username & password

Post by Jame » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:18:19

Hi Bill -

Others in the group have often run into these problems, and the best way to
solve them is to anticipate and avoid them.  There are Status functions called
CurrentScreenHeight and CurrentScreenWidth that can be used to trigger a system
of alternate layouts for different resolution settings, but such a system is
complex, work intensive, and hard to control when users start fooling around
with it.  My suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the default fonts for
Windows and the Mac and stick with them, unless you want to carry fonts around
and install them with your solution every time (actually, I have one solution I
consider it worth doing this for), and talk to your clients or users up front
to explain these issues.  I suggest that they stabilize on a sensible
resolution.  When was the last time you saw someone using 640x480 who wasn't
doing it out of sheer ignorance?  I see this issue as a human one and I have no
trouble solving it with my clients, as long as I offer to help them make the
adjustment.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Best of Luck -
James

--
Don't forget to remove the obvious spam block when replying.
I advocate making an address book entry and using it!  Thanks!

1. Setting username & password for scheduled package

I need to read a text file into a DTS package from a
network drive that requires a username and password.  If I
run the package where I can enter the username and
password it works just fine.

When the DTS job is scheduled however the username and
password has not been saved and the package fails on a
denied access error.

How to I save the username and password, so my package can
be scheduled and run successfully.

2. URGENT: How to debug error on open ???

3. UserName & Password control with MS SQL7

4. Dynamic change connection data sources

5. UserName & Password Prompt for DB

6. Need help with Paradox 4.0 please

7. username & password

8. How can I insert a string var in a TEXT columns

9. UserName & Password for Peronal Oracle 8

10. Login with Username & Password

11. NT Usernames & Passwords and MSSQLServer Usernames and passwords

12. Help me! Web access with Username & password?

13. Username & Password for 9i Demo database???