How to make calculations based on several summary fields included in a sub-summary part

How to make calculations based on several summary fields included in a sub-summary part

Post by Martin Crai » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:30:17

Hi all,

I have sent this mail before, but did not get a solution to my
problem, maybe because the information supplied was not enough. I will
rephrase what I stated.

FMP 5.5 WIN, FMP 5.5 server

I have created the following report (this is just a simplified example
for this message):

field1
field2
field3
summary_field1 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)
summary_field2 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)
grand_total1 (total of field1)
grand_total2 (total of field2)

So it looks in Preview as this:

Body

category1 of field3
field1
field2

Subsummary when sorted by field3:

summary_field1 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)
summary_field2 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)

Body

category2 of field3
field1
field2

Subsummary when sorted by field3:

summary_field1 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)
summary_field2 (total of field1 when sorted by field3)

etc...

The report works OK and give me a listing sorted by field, with the
summary fields correctly showing subtotals for each field3_category
(there are several categories). Please note that field3 is not the
only field that sorts the report. It is just the first field to sort,
but there are several other fields that sub-order this report.

I have taken a look at the GetSummary function, but it does seem to
work in my situation.

I need to get:

summary_field1/summary_field2

for every category of field3, not just one result for the whole
report. In other words, I should get in the
subsummary part one result for every category. I have tried creating
the following GetSummary field:

Getsummary (summary_filed1; field3)

and I have place this field in the sub-summary when sorted by field3
part of the report. Nevertheless, I get a blank result. In FileMaker
help it is stated that a blank result indicates that the database is
not being sorted by the correct filed. The fact is, it is being sorted
by that field (lathough, like I said, field3 is not the only field
that sort this report, is it just the first sort order), and I am
getting the correct result for the summary
fields and the grand-total field.

I am not sure GetSummary is the correct way to do this. There should
be a way to make the calculation when the report is sorted (at the
same time) by several fields.

Thanks for your help,

Martin

1. FileMaker Pro 3.0 Problem 1 (Sub-summary part)

I am trying to make listings that can be both printed and viewed on the
screen.  I have used Sub-summary layout parts for the topic headers Here is
an example (not the actual data):

Illinois (S.S.)
    Springfield (Body)
    Chicago (Body)
    Paris (Body)
Indiana (S.S.)
    Indianapolis (Body)
Florida (S.S.)
    Orlando (Body)
    Sacramento (Body)

So, basically:

                   _________
S.S.:     |     | topic field |
-----------|-----------------------------
              |              ________
Body:    |              | Info field |
-----------|-----------------------------

Problem:  The fields in the Sub-summary dont show up when it is viewed on
the screen.  The print just fine, but dont view correctly on the screen in
browse mode.  Is this a bug, or is it made this way on purpose, or is it
something Im overlooking?  Any feedback would be most appreciated  Thanx
in advance!

2. Presenting Oracle Spatial Data Graphically

3. Summary of Summary of Summary of Totals....

4. adSeek adIndex ADO on SQl

5. Master Parts/Sub Parts/Sub-Sub Parts

6. Access linked server with a specific workgroup

7. Summary fields or Summary table?

8. Can I capture data in summary/subsummary fields?

9. Total of 2 Sub-Summary fields?

10. Calculations on summary fields

11. Summary field calculation FM 4.1

12. <beginner> Text field calculations/summaries