Four Layer conditional menu from server DB

Four Layer conditional menu from server DB

Post by cgardn » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

 I'm familar with conditional lists but never had an application which
required their use.  But now my My beloved users desire a four layer
hierarchical menu of choices with which to catagorize projects.   The
database containing the list fields has 230 records.

 The conditional picks run in a blink of an eye using the client on my
368Mhz G3, but when I put the database on the server it slows to a crawl
while performing the find all / replace to clear the conditional list
field, and again when placing the values from the found set (i.e. the menu
pick on the next higher level) into the field used to display the list.  I
tried substituting  set field() and paste result () inside a loop in lieu
of the replace but it is no faster.

Any suggestions for improving performance?   Putting the list DB on each
user's desktop came to mind but its not practical.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
cgardner-at-nova.org -=|=- http://super.nova.org

Post by Lynn All » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>  I'm familar with conditional lists but never had an application which
> required their use.  But now my My beloved users desire a four layer
> hierarchical menu of choices with which to catagorize projects.   The
> database containing the list fields has 230 records.

>  The conditional picks run in a blink of an eye using the client on my
> 368Mhz G3, but when I put the database on the server it slows to a crawl
> while performing the find all / replace to clear the conditional list
> field, and again when placing the values from the found set (i.e. the menu
> pick on the next higher level) into the field used to display the list.  I
> tried substituting  set field() and paste result () inside a loop in lieu
> of the replace but it is no faster.

> Any suggestions for improving performance?   Putting the list DB on each
> user's desktop came to mind but its not practical.

Chuck:
The only thing that comes to mind is transforming this from a find &
mark operation to a relationship/portal deal.  If they insist on lists,
you're sunk. But if you make the lists into portals, and use the clicks
on portal rows to set globals that will populate the next portal down
the line, it should work at the speed of...well...light. :)

I ran into this server-slowdown with a find and mark for users in a view
file, and solved it by doing a Copy All Records and pasting the multikey
into the view file, instead of doing a find-paste-substitute routine.

Hope one of these approaches will help you out. :)
--

Allen & Allen Semiotics                          Web & Graphic Design
Long Beach CA USA               Filemaker Pro Consulting - Member CSA