displaying Web search results in pdf format

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Mark Bowr » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:55:33

Running FileMaker 4.0 on a Mac server (OS 8), is there any way to
display search results in pdf format instead of html format?
Obviously this would require additional software running in the
background.  How much programming would be required?  Would there be a
need to switch to some other search engine?

  Mark

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by David Hind-Smith, hind-smith.co » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 05:41:14

Hi Mark,

We're doing this today on a Windows platform. The user does a find over the
web, Filemaker script runs and prints a nice subsummary report to a PDF
writer that saves the PDF file to specific directory on the web server. The
user is then redirected to this page where the PDF is displayed. Just need
to find a PDF writer for the Mac that you can hard code the PDF file name
and location, and have it written without intervention.

I'm sure the Mac gurus hear can point you to a good Mac PDF writer.

Cheers,

David

--
David Hind-Smith
Software Development, Filemaker and IT support

905-827-8056
2156 Glenfield Road
Oakville, ON L6M 3S6

Quote:> Running FileMaker 4.0 on a Mac server (OS 8), is there any way to
> display search results in pdf format instead of html format?
> Obviously this would require additional software running in the
> background.  How much programming would be required?  Would there be a
> need to switch to some other search engine?

>   Mark

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Paul Brunea » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:48:09

The one I know is called PrintToPDF, but I don't know the extent of its
features. It can be found on versiontracker among other shareware sites.

> Hi Mark,

> We're doing this today on a Windows platform. The user does a find over the
> web, Filemaker script runs and prints a nice subsummary report to a PDF
> writer that saves the PDF file to specific directory on the web server. The
> user is then redirected to this page where the PDF is displayed. Just need
> to find a PDF writer for the Mac that you can hard code the PDF file name
> and location, and have it written without intervention.

> I'm sure the Mac gurus hear can point you to a good Mac PDF writer.

> Cheers,

> David

> --
> David Hind-Smith
> Software Development, Filemaker and IT support
> www.hind-smith.com

> 905-827-8056
> 2156 Glenfield Road
> Oakville, ON L6M 3S6

> > Running FileMaker 4.0 on a Mac server (OS 8), is there any way to
> > display search results in pdf format instead of html format?
> > Obviously this would require additional software running in the
> > background.  How much programming would be required?  Would there be a
> > need to switch to some other search engine?

> >   Mark

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Mark Bowr » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 06:33:46

Well, actually, it might be worth our while to switch over to a
Windows server at this time should the pdf feature be easier to
implement.

However, I understated my needs somewhat in my original post.  Before
creating pdf output, the found data--which happens to be "TeXed" math
problems--must be processed by a TeX engine.  The TeX engine of choice
(Textures) resides on the Mac platform, so this might be an additional
hurdle to overcome should we decide to go to a Windows machine.  (Even
though there are plenty--way more than Mac ones--of Windows TeX
engines, Textures is hard to beat.)

I probably should have cross-posted this to the TeX newsgroup
comp.text.tex, but any preliminary FileMaker info will be good to have
in hand before I head over there.

Lastly, I'll mention that I'd rather not have to upgrade to the server
version of FMP 5 (or higher) if it isn't necessary.

Thanks,

  Mark

> Hi Mark,

> We're doing this today on a Windows platform. The user does a find over the
> web, Filemaker script runs and prints a nice subsummary report to a PDF
> writer that saves the PDF file to specific directory on the web server. The
> user is then redirected to this page where the PDF is displayed. Just need
> to find a PDF writer for the Mac that you can hard code the PDF file name
> and location, and have it written without intervention.

> I'm sure the Mac gurus hear can point you to a good Mac PDF writer.

> Cheers,

> David

> --
> David Hind-Smith
> Software Development, Filemaker and IT support
> www.hind-smith.com

> 905-827-8056
> 2156 Glenfield Road
> Oakville, ON L6M 3S6

> > Running FileMaker 4.0 on a Mac server (OS 8), is there any way to
> > display search results in pdf format instead of html format?
> > Obviously this would require additional software running in the
> > background.  How much programming would be required?  Would there be a
> > need to switch to some other search engine?

> >   Mark

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Patrick Stadelman » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 06:50:09

Quote:> Well, actually, it might be worth our while to switch over to a
> Windows server at this time should the pdf feature be easier to
> implement.

You can do the same on the Mac by setting FileMaker to print to a
"translator" desktop printer. This will generate a PDF file in a
specified folder. Then, have FileMaker generate a unique name for the
file (eg by increasing a global field value) and ask the Finder to
rename the file and move it somewhere inside FileMaker's web folder.

Patrick
--

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Mark Bowr » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:24:19

I don't think I gave an adequate description of what I need to do in
my recent post "displaying Web search results in pdf format".  Another
application needs to open an exported (tab-delimited) text file and
use it as input to write a pdf file.

(FileMaker is incapable of performing the tasks that this application
performs, so I can't just have FileMaker print my search results to a
"translator" desktop printer.  The search results absolutely _must_ go
through this other application.)

So, how do you get other applications to do stuff automatically--"in
the background"--on a Mac?  I have very little experience in this
area.  The only thing I've ever used for things like this is QuicKeys.
 My ultimate goal is a "create pdf" link on the search results page
that, when clicked, sets in motion all the necessary steps to create
the pdf automatically.

Mark

> > Well, actually, it might be worth our while to switch over to a
> > Windows server at this time should the pdf feature be easier to
> > implement.

> You can do the same on the Mac by setting FileMaker to print to a
> "translator" desktop printer. This will generate a PDF file in a
> specified folder. Then, have FileMaker generate a unique name for the
> file (eg by increasing a global field value) and ask the Finder to
> rename the file and move it somewhere inside FileMaker's web folder.

> Patrick

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Patrick Stadelman » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:21:00

Quote:> I don't think I gave an adequate description of what I need to do in
> my recent post "displaying Web search results in pdf format".  Another
> application needs to open an exported (tab-delimited) text file and
> use it as input to write a pdf file.

Is the application scriptable ? Will it automatically (ie without user
intervention) generate the pdf file when a text file is dropped onto its
icon ? If one of the answer is yes, than you can probably use
AppleScript to do the job.

Patrick
--

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Mark Bowr » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:41:56

The application is called Textures, made by Blue Sky Research.  I
believe it has some sort of scripting capability...Apple Events are
mentioned in the manual, but I'm not sure about AppleScript (perhaps
the two are intertwined).

I will contact Blue Sky for further instructions.  Thanks for your
replies Patrick--I sense that the information they contain is heading
me in the right direction.

Mark

> > I don't think I gave an adequate description of what I need to do in
> > my recent post "displaying Web search results in pdf format".  Another
> > application needs to open an exported (tab-delimited) text file and
> > use it as input to write a pdf file.

> Is the application scriptable ? Will it automatically (ie without user
> intervention) generate the pdf file when a text file is dropped onto its
> icon ? If one of the answer is yes, than you can probably use
> AppleScript to do the job.

> Patrick

displaying Web search results in pdf format

Post by Patrick Stadelman » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:17:31

Quote:> The application is called Textures, made by Blue Sky Research.  I
> believe it has some sort of scripting capability...Apple Events are
> mentioned in the manual, but I'm not sure about AppleScript (perhaps
> the two are intertwined).

Yes, AppleScript is a scripting language that uses AppleEvents to
communicate with applications.

Patrick
--

1. limit search result display on web page??

Hi people,

we are currently building an ASP/VBScript web page that searches records in
an Access DB using ODBC.

Problem: the number of hits can be several 100 or more, so we need to use
some "25-at-a-time" mechanism.

Constraints:
1. Using session variables to hold the data would flood our server's memory
(just pointers to files or records could be ok.)
2. the solution should be simpler than implementing a full web crawler

So far we intend to count all hits, then have the browser display a
confirmation dialog with the total number of hits. If accepted, we would
send the data over, displaying another confirmation dialog in the client
browser every 25 records.

Better ideas, pointers, code samples, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks a lot!!!

*************************
please reply by email
*************************

Regards,
Marc Esser

2. Alter index to cluster?

3. Help needed optimizing display of search results in a web page

4. Any hints on choosing the best NTFS cluster size for SQL server?

5. Display links to other pages in web search results

6. using DTS.LoadFromStorageFile in c#.net

7. web search with summarized results/web pages

8. MySQL vs Access

9. Displaying result in calendar format

10. Displaying query result in Text Format

11. Displaying results in calendar format

12. Full text search results not displaying

13. How to Display Search Results Across Several Tables