Developer version

Post by Bria » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 04:58:18

Is there a trial download of the developer version 4 so we can see if
we need this much power. Thanks

Brian

Developer version

Post by Dave Barret » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:57:36

Quote:> Is there a trial download of the developer version 4 so we can see if
> we need this much power. Thanks

> Brian

Do you need to be able to create single-user standalone databases? If yes,
then you need it, otherwise you probably don't.

It does ship with some additional helpful utilities and tools... the ability
to rename a file for example, but I don't know if something like that is
worth the price unless you plan to be renaming a lot of files.

Developer version

Post by chri » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 06:28:22

Rename files? Are you sure? I spent two days renaming files, scripts,
calculations, relationships in my own bloatware solution. Granted you can
change the suffix, or add one if absent.

Chris

Developer version

Post by Dave Barret » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:02:11

Quote:> Rename files? Are you sure? I spent two days renaming files, scripts,
> calculations, relationships in my own bloatware solution. Granted you can
> change the suffix, or add one if absent.

> Chris

Yes. I'm sure, you can rename files. Change "sales.fp5" to
"transactions.fp5", and have all the scripts, and relationships updated, for
example.  For anyone not needing standalone apps, that is likely the most
valuable feature of developer.

Developer version

Post by chri » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:43:29

Dave
Damn. They must have snuck that into v5 and no one told me. Thanks for the
info.
Chris

Developer version

Post by Claude Carlo » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:22:25

Dev Ver 4 does the same..

Claude

Quote:> Dave
> Damn. They must have snuck that into v5 and no one told me. Thanks for the
> info.
> Chris

Developer version

Post by chri » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:36:03

Bear with me here. I have v4.0 Mac , updated to v4.03. I run the Win version
on VPC. I cannot find any reference to changing filenames in the binding
literature, nor can I find any supplementary tools on either of the 2 cds.

Just for a test I changed a filename before binding. However the solution
had lost the path to the file and required re-pointing via a dialog. Opening
the solution in FM and checking the relationships showed a list of missing
filenames.

Within the binder app I can find no place to change filenames (bar the
suffix). So where is this done, and at what point in the process?

Confused,
Chris

Developer version

Post by Paul E. Este » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:21:53

Renaming files and the associated scripts and relationships is a 5.0
feature. Perhaps the previous poster was referring to the use of a custom
extension when binding the files which was present in 4.x

Brian

wrote on 8/21/01 3:36 PM:

Quote:> Bear with me here. I have v4.0 Mac , updated to v4.03. I run the Win version
> on VPC. I cannot find any reference to changing filenames in the binding
> literature, nor can I find any supplementary tools on either of the 2 cds.

> Just for a test I changed a filename before binding. However the solution
> had lost the path to the file and required re-pointing via a dialog. Opening
> the solution in FM and checking the relationships showed a list of missing
> filenames.

> Within the binder app I can find no place to change filenames (bar the
> suffix). So where is this done, and at what point in the process?

> Confused,
> Chris

Developer version

Post by Claude Carlo » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:54:48

Yes Paul, that was wath I was thinking about.
I should probably have mentioned it in My answer.
Thanks for the additionnal info

> Renaming files and the associated scripts and relationships is a 5.0
> feature. Perhaps the previous poster was referring to the use of a custom
> extension when binding the files which was present in 4.x

> Brian

> wrote on 8/21/01 3:36 PM:

> > Bear with me here. I have v4.0 Mac , updated to v4.03. I run the Win
version
> > on VPC. I cannot find any reference to changing filenames in the binding
> > literature, nor can I find any supplementary tools on either of the 2
cds.

> > Just for a test I changed a filename before binding. However the
solution
> > had lost the path to the file and required re-pointing via a dialog.
Opening
> > the solution in FM and checking the relationships showed a list of
missing
> > filenames.

> > Within the binder app I can find no place to change filenames (bar the
> > suffix). So where is this done, and at what point in the process?

> > Confused,
> > Chris

Developer version

Post by Serg » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:38:31

I think there is no trial version...
Developer tool works with the same filemaker pro 4 power... no more requests.

--

---
http://spaziowww.net