Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by DPI » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:24:27

I was wandering if it was possible to secure the input.  When someone has
made a new record it won't be possible afterward to change the information.

For instance I'm using a valuelist of a crewmember list made in another
file. When a person enters a new record he (or she) has to choose her name
out of the list by checking a radiobutton. This is working very fine, but
now i want to secure the input so the user can't change afterward his or her
name to another person.  I can't find a solution how to manage this and i'm
hoping that one the FMPro guru's inhere can help me with this.

Many thanks in advance,

(PC-Windows 98 - ME  -  Filemaker Pro v5.03)

Danny

Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by John Weinshe » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:09:09

Building that type of 'security' is neither a built-in feature, nor easy. It
can be created in various ways, depending on your overall system, needs, and
taste, using complex calculated fields, scripts, permission levels, etc.

The simplest, broadest solution is to use a Submit button which send the
values in the various fields to other fields that are inaccessible without
password priviledges. The script triggered by the Submit button tests to see
whether the other fields already have valid values in them, and also test
for the validity of the data being entered.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> I was wandering if it was possible to secure the input.  When someone has
> made a new record it won't be possible afterward to change the
information.

> For instance I'm using a valuelist of a crewmember list made in another
> file. When a person enters a new record he (or she) has to choose her name
> out of the list by checking a radiobutton. This is working very fine, but
> now i want to secure the input so the user can't change afterward his or
her
> name to another person.  I can't find a solution how to manage this and
i'm
> hoping that one the FMPro guru's inhere can help me with this.

> Many thanks in advance,

> (PC-Windows 98 - ME  -  Filemaker Pro v5.03)

> Danny

Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by Mark Matche » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:23:30

You can also use one layout for adding a new record, and another layout for
viewing. The viewing layout has fields formatted not to allow entry. Easy to
test in a script for presence or absence of a value, and choose the layout
based on that. More likely, have the New Record script point to  one layout,
the View Record script point to another.

mark

> Building that type of 'security' is neither a built-in feature, nor easy.
It
> can be created in various ways, depending on your overall system, needs,
and
> taste, using complex calculated fields, scripts, permission levels, etc.

> The simplest, broadest solution is to use a Submit button which send the
> values in the various fields to other fields that are inaccessible without
> password priviledges. The script triggered by the Submit button tests to
see
> whether the other fields already have valid values in them, and also test
> for the validity of the data being entered.

> --
> John Weinshel
> Datagrace
> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
> Vashon Island, WA
> (206) 463-1634

> > I was wandering if it was possible to secure the input.  When someone
has
> > made a new record it won't be possible afterward to change the
> information.

> > For instance I'm using a valuelist of a crewmember list made in another
> > file. When a person enters a new record he (or she) has to choose her
name
> > out of the list by checking a radiobutton. This is working very fine,
but
> > now i want to secure the input so the user can't change afterward his or
> her
> > name to another person.  I can't find a solution how to manage this and
> i'm
> > hoping that one the FMPro guru's inhere can help me with this.

> > Many thanks in advance,

> > (PC-Windows 98 - ME  -  Filemaker Pro v5.03)

> > Danny

Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by Chris Kubic » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:28:43

I'd make two separate layouts. One for creation of the record, one for
Browsing only. Control access to the database via passwords/login and
onscreen navigational buttons (no access to status bar).

--

Chris Kubica
_______________________________________

Quote:> I was wandering if it was possible to secure the input.  When someone has
> made a new record it won't be possible afterward to change the
information.

> For instance I'm using a valuelist of a crewmember list made in another
> file. When a person enters a new record he (or she) has to choose her name
> out of the list by checking a radiobutton. This is working very fine, but
> now i want to secure the input so the user can't change afterward his or
her
> name to another person.  I can't find a solution how to manage this and
i'm
> hoping that one the FMPro guru's inhere can help me with this.

> Many thanks in advance,

> (PC-Windows 98 - ME  -  Filemaker Pro v5.03)

> Danny

Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by DPI » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:57:24

Yo Guys,

With many thanks for the tips you gave, but i'm afraid these wan't do the
trick.

I need a solution in this way:

Within a team each one can have acces to the database, when one of them
enters it, he or she has to give up his of her name. This name they choose
from another database by means of a radibutton. Until here no problem ...
but now they may have no more the possibilitie to change their input to
avoid that someone else can change the data.  Working with acces limitations
like paswords isn't the way to do it for this project.  I'm afraid that
working with passwords is much to difficult for the people who are intended
to work in this project.

But again thanks for your tips, once, hopefully, I can return the favour.

Greetz,

Danny

Secure the input in FMP 5

Post by Ron Green » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 05:17:05

This seems the best solution. Even better would be to add a script
triggering plug-in which would eliminate the need for a button.

> Building that type of 'security' is neither a built-in feature, nor easy. It
> can be created in various ways, depending on your overall system, needs, and
> taste, using complex calculated fields, scripts, permission levels, etc.

> The simplest, broadest solution is to use a Submit button which send the
> values in the various fields to other fields that are inaccessible without
> password priviledges. The script triggered by the Submit button tests to see
> whether the other fields already have valid values in them, and also test
> for the validity of the data being entered.

> --
> John Weinshel
> Datagrace
> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
> Vashon Island, WA
> (206) 463-1634

>> I was wandering if it was possible to secure the input.  When someone has
>> made a new record it won't be possible afterward to change the
> information.

>> For instance I'm using a valuelist of a crewmember list made in another
>> file. When a person enters a new record he (or she) has to choose her name
>> out of the list by checking a radiobutton. This is working very fine, but
>> now i want to secure the input so the user can't change afterward his or
> her
>> name to another person.  I can't find a solution how to manage this and
> i'm
>> hoping that one the FMPro guru's inhere can help me with this.

>> Many thanks in advance,

>> (PC-Windows 98 - ME  -  Filemaker Pro v5.03)

>> Danny

1. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

I can't find any information on how to use these commands.

I only want to show the first 25 items on a query using the -max=25 command.
I also want to include a next/previous navigation button to show the next 25
records or the previous 25 records.

The only thing that the cdml reference is showing is

[FMP-LinkFirst]First set of records.[/FMP-LinkFirst]

But am I suppose to generate the first page of record using
[fmp-record][fmp-field: xxxxx][/fmp-record] or do I use the [fmp-linkfirst]
instead of the [fmp-record] (I've tried that and it didn't work).  Where and
how do I introduce the [fmp-linknext] and the [fmp-linkprevious].

Tx for any input.

Yves

Devenir immortel et mourir

2. Parameter marker?

3. [FMP 4] Shopping cart safe/secure?

4. Strange thing in Sybase 4.8

5. Font for secure data input (It's all STARS *****) - foxstar.zip (1/1)

6. Positions avail... NJ - VB dev.

7. Font for secure data input (It's all STARS *****)

8. Newbie question: How to check how many tables avaliable at that database?

9. fmp 5.0 ibm - input mask

10. Voice input to FMP?

11. Secured and non secured Access Linked Server to coexist in SQL2000

12. PRESS RELEASE: INFORMIX-ONLINE/SECURE FIRST B1, C2 RATED SECURE DATABASE