Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

Post by Marvin Loma » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a very large FileMaker solution which I wanted to transfer to a
> colleagues machine.  Since they have no ethernet connection or zip drive,
> but do have a CD-ROM, I burnt a CD of the solution.

> Unfortunately, after copying the solution from the CD to their hard drive,
> all the files opened up as Read Only.  Obviously something about the CD
> burning process had locked the files into this form - which seems rather
> odd.  How did the unopened FMP files know that they were being burnt!!? Any
> ideas? (No, I wasn't trying to open the files from the CD).

> With respect to transferring the large files, eventually I exported the
> vital, static data (ie, not the calculations) to text files and saved the
> FMP files as clones.  This resulted in several pretty small files which all
> fitted one-by-one onto floppies.  After re imorting into the clones, all the
> calculations refreshed of course and everythign was fine. Tedious but I
> guess I now have some good back ups! But is there an easier way?

You're obviously working on a PC; all you have to do is right-click on
each database file, go to PROPERTIES, and turn read-only OFF (uncheck
it). I don't know why that happens, but it happens to me as well.

--
Bob Patin

Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

Post by instr.. » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This is true!  After you've copied the files to your client's
computer, you have to reset the properties for the files.   On a
Windows based machine you should right-click the file, and select
"Properties".  From there you should make sure there is NO check mark
in the Read Only box.  I usually also check the "Archive" option.
This would solve your problem.

On a Mac, I believe you select the item and pick "Get Info" from one
of the menus.  I think it's similar from there.

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000 08:01:06 +1000, "Gareth Denyer"

Post by Lynn All » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I have a very large FileMaker solution which I wanted to transfer to a
> colleagues machine.  Since they have no ethernet connection or zip drive,
> but do have a CD-ROM, I burnt a CD of the solution.

> Unfortunately, after copying the solution from the CD to their hard drive,
> all the files opened up as Read Only.  Obviously something about the CD
> burning process had locked the files into this form - which seems rather
> odd.  How did the unopened FMP files know that they were being burnt!!? Any
> ideas? (No, I wasn't trying to open the files from the CD).

> With respect to transferring the large files, eventually I exported the
> vital, static data (ie, not the calculations) to text files and saved the
> FMP files as clones.  This resulted in several pretty small files which all
> fitted one-by-one onto floppies.  After re imorting into the clones, all the
> calculations refreshed of course and everythign was fine. Tedious but I
> guess I now have some good back ups! But is there an easier way?

Ah, you have a PC! ;)

On the Windows side, all files copied from CDs automatically have their
Properties set to Read Only. I think it's the act of copying FROM the
CD, not to it. One can right click on files or groups of files, select
Properties and change that to Read/Write (or whatever that selection is,
I forget) once the files are copied to the hard drive.

Macs do not do this.

You can also compress the files before burning to CD, which protects the
Properties from being reset.
--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

Post by Blue Balled Eagl » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I believe the last step of making the CD asks you if you would like to
protect it from further write access. This may make the files read
only. If not, just the act of copying the files from the CD to the
hard drive may be doing it. My best guess is the later. If I'm
correct, try making a simple installation program for the files, maybe
just using WinZip or equivalant. This should leave the files writable
as desired. If this doesn't work, try skipping the write protection
when burning the CD.

Best of luck.

Post by Bill Burkhold » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Yeah! Get a professional installer builder such as Setup Factory 5.0. Make
installers for the software you write. Users will appreciate it when they click
on Setup.EXE and your solution is installed EXACTLY as it should be on their
machines. You can even make a CD that automatically runs Setup.EXE when the CD
is inserted in the drive.

This is not as hard as it might sound. The better installer makers guide you
through the process step-by-step, and make it easy to customize your
installations with license agreements, "read me" files, your own graphics, etc.

On Windows machines, the operating system always copies the properties of files
as they exist on the source volume. Since CDs are always "read only", that's
how the properties get copied. Personally, I think the poor soul who dreamed up
this scheme was brain-dead...

If you don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks for an installer maker, using
WinZip or PKZip or Stuffit will work. The archive will be read-only, but the
expanded files won't.

Macs are immune to this folderol. Files are only "read-only" on volumes that
are "read-only", or if you  set them manually to act that way.

Bill Burkholder

1. burning a solution on a a CD

Somehow I think this question has been asked before but I've never
bothered reading the thread. But now I have the problem.

I have a simple runtime FMP5.5 Developer solution. Works fine on my
desktop. Now I want to share a copy with someone.

Having recently added a CD Burner and using Nero Express, I placed a
copy of the runtime and its files on a CD.

Now it can be opened but the data have become "read only."  Can't add
new records. Can't delete, etc.

Is it possble that this applies only to the C. Perhaps after the
runtiime files are copied from the CD onto another HD the data will be
modifiable?

TIA

2. Sybase handling of floats

3. burn data on CD

4. Share your JDBC Architecture! (Servlets or RMI?!?!_)

5. Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

6. quick question: merge error

7. How-to burn oracle CD

8. Help Needed

9. Burning PA downloads to CD

10. cross-platform CD burn

11. CD-ROM burning problem...

12. Local Cubes Creator on MDX-Solution CD

13. FS: "Microsoft Olap Solutions" with CD