Save Word documents in Filemaker

Post by Matthias Tee » Fri, 23 May 2003 17:24:18

Moin,

I use Filemaker 6 in a simple Network to store customer data. Now my
users want to store there word documents within the database so the
find them easily. Is there any way to store the Word documents in the
database like images?

I know that I can store the path in a text field and use openUrl but
in a Windows or Mac environment there isnt any good place to copy and
paste the path so my users must type the hole path.

What would be the best solution?

Many thanks
Matthias

Save Word documents in Filemaker

Post by Scott Dav » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:08:19

You should create a folder for all the word documents to be opened by
the database.  Then you store the path of this folder in a script or
calculated field.  Then the user only needs to specify the filename.
Alternatively, you could come up with a naming convention for the
files so that you know what the names will be before the files are
created.

The Open URL script can append the base path to the filename (ie by
setting a global text field) to dynamically construct the path.  Since
your network has both Mac's and PC's, a status(currentplatform)
conditional can trigger the appropriate formatting of the path.

-Scott

> Moin,

> I use Filemaker 6 in a simple Network to store customer data. Now my
> users want to store there word documents within the database so the
> find them easily. Is there any way to store the Word documents in the
> database like images?

> I know that I can store the path in a text field and use openUrl but
> in a Windows or Mac environment there isnt any good place to copy and
> paste the path so my users must type the hole path.

> What would be the best solution?

> Many thanks
> Matthias

Save Word documents in Filemaker

Post by Kevin Haye » Thu, 29 May 2003 08:22:00

says...

Quote:> Moin,

> I use Filemaker 6 in a simple Network to store customer data. Now my
> users want to store there word documents within the database so the
> find them easily. Is there any way to store the Word documents in the
> database like images?

Are the word documents related to the customer data or is this another
unrelated request?

If it is unrelated, why not just create a save a search file from Find
File in both Mac and Windows. They just double-click the file and it
presents them with a list of doc.

If it is related to the customers (or they want more than a list), you
could use a script within Word to copy the path to the current file.
After the user saves her word doc (but doesn't close it), the user can
run the macro (or AppleScript, whichever is easier) to get the path from
Word's frontmost document and paste it in a field in FM Pro. You can then
add a script to FMPro to convert the path to a url and open it.

This should be pretty easy with AppleScript. I don't know how easy it is
on the Windows side, but I'm reasonably sure it can be done.

1. Filemaker record to word document and word document list

Hello you filemakerlovers
I have a problem
I want to export 1 record to a word letter
If I select a customer record that I want to send a letter all the data of
the client like his name and address must be copied in the letterhead.
Have you done this or is there a programme for...
and my second problem
I wont to see witch letters I send to that customer.
A list off all the letters must be appearing
thanks if you have done this before...

2. INGRES 6.4 GCA Problem

3. help saving Word Documents to SQL Server 7.0

4. Search and replace function

5. Save Word-Document in SQL-Dataase???

6. US - PEOPLESOFT Consultants Needed - Travel but No Relocation

7. word document to save in sql Database

8. Multi-Protocol Encryption and VB

9. Saving a word document in a Oracle DB

10. Can I save Document MS WORD in database Paradox(BLOB) and Extract back

11. Attempting to save Word document to Oracle DB field

12. Saving Word Document into Access Ole Field

13. convert web form to MS word document and save to database