getting field name from field content

Post by Joy » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi-
Is there a script command to go to a field that will be designated by
the content of a field (or the value of a field).

In other words, I have a field: Location that has values 1,2, or 3.
I want to go to a fieldname that is 1,2 or 3 and change it's content.

Sorry for the newbie request.
glenda

getting field name from field content

Post by MAS » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

yes use
Enter Find Mode[]
Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
Perform Find[]

Quote:> Hi-
> Is there a script command to go to a field that will be designated by
> the content of a field (or the value of a field).

> In other words, I have a field: Location that has values 1,2, or 3.
> I want to go to a fieldname that is 1,2 or 3 and change it's content.

> Sorry for the newbie request.
> glenda

getting field name from field content

Post by Joy » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

> yes use
> Enter Find Mode[]
> Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
> Perform Find[]

Thanks for the fast reply.   However, I may not understand this quite
right.

I have a field (text) that will have in it contents the names of other
fields in another layout.
In other words, the field Position will have a text value that is equal to
the name of the field in the other layout.
So, I am hoping to have a field with the text value of say, A3.
The script would go to the field name "A3" in another layout and enter
text from yet another value.

thank you very much, Glenda

getting field name from field content

Post by MAS » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

GoTo Layout (Other)
Enter Find Mode[]
Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
Perform Find[]
Set Field (A3, anothervalue)
I think this is what you are looking for. Go to help and lookup setfield

> > yes use
> > Enter Find Mode[]
> > Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
> > Perform Find[]

> Thanks for the fast reply.   However, I may not understand this quite
> right.

> I have a field (text) that will have in it contents the names of other
> fields in another layout.
> In other words, the field Position will have a text value that is equal to
> the name of the field in the other layout.
> So, I am hoping to have a field with the text value of say, A3.
> The script would go to the field name "A3" in another layout and enter
> text from yet another value.

> thank you very much, Glenda

getting field name from field content

Post by Jame » Sun, 21 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Joy -

Did this suggestion solve your problem?  Yours is an interesting scenario, and I
might have another idea.

Thanks -
James

> GoTo Layout (Other)
> Enter Find Mode[]
> Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
> Perform Find[]
> Set Field (A3, anothervalue)
> I think this is what you are looking for. Go to help and lookup setfield

> > > yes use
> > > Enter Find Mode[]
> > > Set Field (Location, FieldFrom)
> > > Perform Find[]

> > Thanks for the fast reply.   However, I may not understand this quite
> > right.

> > I have a field (text) that will have in it contents the names of other
> > fields in another layout.
> > In other words, the field Position will have a text value that is equal to
> > the name of the field in the other layout.
> > So, I am hoping to have a field with the text value of say, A3.
> > The script would go to the field name "A3" in another layout and enter
> > text from yet another value.

> > thank you very much, Glenda

1. Problem getting Memo field to show contents...

Thanks in advance...

I'm am creating a cursor table from a sql-SELECT statement using SQLEXEC()
pulling from a SQL 7.0 db.  It works fine but a memo field displays 'memo'
instead of the contents.

I've checked and double checked the CURSORGETPROP('FetchMemo') and it is set
to .T.. The 'fetch memo' box is checked in the options plus I've reset
CURSORSETPROP('FetchMemo',.T.) just for good measure.

What else is there? It's really bringing me down.

--
Eric Johansen
MCSE+I, MCP

2. Problem with break

3. how could I get the source table name and field name from a view field

4. SQL Server to AS400

5. Substituing variable contents for field names in a query

6. Problem with Universal Installer (Dependencies on JRE)

7. Creating a new folder and paste field contents as name

8. Printing Problems Patch

9. Treenode.Data Points to Field, Not Field Contents

10. Deleting Fields through Functions - Not the contents of a field

11. Move Character field contents to Date field

12. Problems with field contents larger than field length definition

13. getting db field name