Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by Bruno Ern » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:03:57

Hi there,

just wondering which one you guys out there prefer: Pop-up List or
Pop-up Menu? Are there any obvious advantages of one of the two over the
other? In what cases do you use one or the other?

--
Bruno

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by Bridget Ele » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:30:39

Pop-up lists:

1. you can jump to the relevant value in the list by quickly typing the
first couple of letters
2. only shows a few values at a time, although you can navigate the list
surprisingly fast by clicking and dragging beyond the bottom edge of the
list
3. field can be double clicked to manually enter values not in value list (a
disadvantage if you want users to stick to static value list, but an
advantage if the field itself is its own dynamic value list)
4. can use "Edit" but not "Other" option

Pop-up menus:
1. allow selection of multiple values (by holding shift key down)
2. drop shadow provides a visual clue that the field has a pop-up menu
attached
3. drop shadow can look odd on some layouts
4. can view up to a window height of values at a time
5. cannot jump to the middle or end of the list by typing first few letters
6. cannot manually enter values in the field which means you have to use the
"Other" option to add new values when the field itself is its own dynamic
value list
7. can use both "Edit" and "Other" options

--
Bridget Eley

wrote on 3/7/02 8:03 pm:

Quote:> Hi there,

> just wondering which one you guys out there prefer: Pop-up List or
> Pop-up Menu? Are there any obvious advantages of one of the two over the
> other? In what cases do you use one or the other?

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by bria » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:56:45

Hi there...If I may add to Bridget's list..

If you want to be able to [TAB] into the field, you'll need to make it a
pop-up LIST, as you can't tab into a pop-up MENU. This is helpful for
those who aren't mouse-retentive, like me.. =)  Using lists allows you
to hit all the fields without reaching for the mouse at all (if this is
appropriate for your setting).

Bri

> Pop-up lists:

> 1. you can jump to the relevant value in the list by quickly typing the
> first couple of letters
> 2. only shows a few values at a time, although you can navigate the list
> surprisingly fast by clicking and dragging beyond the bottom edge of the
> list
> 3. field can be double clicked to manually enter values not in value list (a
> disadvantage if you want users to stick to static value list, but an
> advantage if the field itself is its own dynamic value list)
> 4. can use "Edit" but not "Other" option

> Pop-up menus:
> 1. allow selection of multiple values (by holding shift key down)
> 2. drop shadow provides a visual clue that the field has a pop-up menu
> attached
> 3. drop shadow can look odd on some layouts
> 4. can view up to a window height of values at a time
> 5. cannot jump to the middle or end of the list by typing first few letters
> 6. cannot manually enter values in the field which means you have to use the
> "Other" option to add new values when the field itself is its own dynamic
> value list
> 7. can use both "Edit" and "Other" options

> --
> Bridget Eley

> wrote on 3/7/02 8:03 pm:

> > Hi there,

> > just wondering which one you guys out there prefer: Pop-up List or
> > Pop-up Menu? Are there any obvious advantages of one of the two over the
> > other? In what cases do you use one or the other?

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by Christoph Bouthillie » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:17:24

And, adding to Bridget & Brian:

With a Pop-up menu the number of items is limited to 255, beyond that you'll
get nonsensical coloured squares instead of values. (FMP 4.01/Win98)

Under Win 95 FMP 4 a pop-up menu which shows more than a screen height of
items will totally freeze the field, accessing the field will be impossible.

The disadvantage of the coloured borders can be overcome by choosing "no
borders".

--

Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards
Christoph Bouthillier

Quote:> > wrote on 3/7/02 8:03 pm:

> > > Hi there,

> > > just wondering which one you guys out there prefer: Pop-up List or
> > > Pop-up Menu? Are there any obvious advantages of one of the two over
the
> > > other? In what cases do you use one or the other?

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by Howard Schlossber » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:10:59

A clarification on this -- Brian obviously works on a Mac, on which
pop-up menus cannot be tabbed into.  In Windows, it works as expected
and the full menu will be shown when tabbed into.

In general, I use menus with shorter lists (less than one screen's
height) where the contents remains relatively consistant.  I use lists
when the list is very dynamic and is constantly changing.  I do this not
for any technical reasons, but because it keeps consistancy and
intuitiveness in place for the user.

> Hi there...If I may add to Bridget's list..

> If you want to be able to [TAB] into the field, you'll need to make it a
> pop-up LIST, as you can't tab into a pop-up MENU. This is helpful for
> those who aren't mouse-retentive, like me.. =)  Using lists allows you
> to hit all the fields without reaching for the mouse at all (if this is
> appropriate for your setting).

> Bri

> > Pop-up lists:

> > 1. you can jump to the relevant value in the list by quickly typing the
> > first couple of letters
> > 2. only shows a few values at a time, although you can navigate the list
> > surprisingly fast by clicking and dragging beyond the bottom edge of the
> > list
> > 3. field can be double clicked to manually enter values not in value list (a
> > disadvantage if you want users to stick to static value list, but an
> > advantage if the field itself is its own dynamic value list)
> > 4. can use "Edit" but not "Other" option

> > Pop-up menus:
> > 1. allow selection of multiple values (by holding shift key down)
> > 2. drop shadow provides a visual clue that the field has a pop-up menu
> > attached
> > 3. drop shadow can look odd on some layouts
> > 4. can view up to a window height of values at a time
> > 5. cannot jump to the middle or end of the list by typing first few letters
> > 6. cannot manually enter values in the field which means you have to use the
> > "Other" option to add new values when the field itself is its own dynamic
> > value list
> > 7. can use both "Edit" and "Other" options

> > --
> > Bridget Eley

> > wrote on 3/7/02 8:03 pm:

> > > Hi there,

> > > just wondering which one you guys out there prefer: Pop-up List or
> > > Pop-up Menu? Are there any obvious advantages of one of the two over the
> > > other? In what cases do you use one or the other?

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 321-5176
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by bria » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:47:08

Hi Howard. That occured to me as well.. later, after I had posted..
hehe. Thanks for clearing that up for Bruno, et al.

Bri

> A clarification on this -- Brian obviously works on a Mac, on which
> pop-up menus cannot be tabbed into.  In Windows, it works as expected
> and the full menu will be shown when tabbed into.

> In general, I use menus with shorter lists (less than one screen's
> height) where the contents remains relatively consistant.  I use lists
> when the list is very dynamic and is constantly changing.  I do this not
> for any technical reasons, but because it keeps consistancy and
> intuitiveness in place for the user.

> > Hi there...If I may add to Bridget's list..

> > If you want to be able to [TAB] into the field, you'll need to make it a
> > pop-up LIST, as you can't tab into a pop-up MENU. This is helpful for
> > those who aren't mouse-retentive, like me.. =)  Using lists allows you
> > to hit all the fields without reaching for the mouse at all (if this is
> > appropriate for your setting).

> > Bri

Pop-up List vs. Pop-up Menu

Post by Bridget Ele » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:50:29

I cannot reproduce this on my MacOS9 (the bug is obviously OS specific) -
but the pop-up menu that referenced the same field did stop at 1024 even
though there were over 2000 records with unique values.  The pop-up list had
no problem with 2000+ values.

In the process, I discovered another advantage of pop-up lists - they are
*way* faster than pop-up menus.

Bridget

> And, adding to Bridget & Brian:

> With a Pop-up menu the number of items is limited to 255, beyond that you'll
> get nonsensical coloured squares instead of values. (FMP 4.01/Win98)

> Under Win 95 FMP 4 a pop-up menu which shows more than a screen height of
> items will totally freeze the field, accessing the field will be impossible.

> The disadvantage of the coloured borders can be overcome by choosing "no
> borders".

> --

> Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards
> Christoph Bouthillier
> post (at) no-no-spamtekstotaal.com
> Please remove "no-no-spam" when E-mailing me directly - Thanks
> ------

>> Hi there...If I may add to Bridget's list..

>> If you want to be able to [TAB] into the field, you'll need to make it a
>> pop-up LIST, as you can't tab into a pop-up MENU. This is helpful for
>> those who aren't mouse-retentive, like me.. =)  Using lists allows you
>> to hit all the fields without reaching for the mouse at all (if this is
>> appropriate for your setting).

>> Bri

>>> Pop-up lists:

>>> 1. you can jump to the relevant value in the list by quickly typing the
>>> first couple of letters
>>> 2. only shows a few values at a time, although you can navigate the list
>>> surprisingly fast by clicking and dragging beyond the bottom edge of the
>>> list
>>> 3. field can be double clicked to manually enter values not in value
> list (a
>>> disadvantage if you want users to stick to static value list, but an
>>> advantage if the field itself is its own dynamic value list)
>>> 4. can use "Edit" but not "Other" option

>>> Pop-up menus:
>>> 1. allow selection of multiple values (by holding shift key down)
>>> 2. drop shadow provides a visual clue that the field has a pop-up menu
>>> attached
>>> 3. drop shadow can look odd on some layouts
>>> 4. can view up to a window height of values at a time
>>> 5. cannot jump to the middle or end of the list by typing first few
> letters
>>> 6. cannot manually enter values in the field which means you have to use
> the
>>> "Other" option to add new values when the field itself is its own
> dynamic
>>> value list
>>> 7. can use both "Edit" and "Other" options

>>> --
>>> Bridget Eley

> the

1. Newbie - popup menus vs popup lists

I have a very long value list that I would like the users to be able to make
multiple selections from.  It seems that multiple selections can only be
made from popup menus but my value list is too long for a popup menu and
will only work as a popup list.

Is there a way around this?

TIA
Shirley Koroniak

2. ODBC 3.7 driver

3. OPAL exec vs. pop-ups

4. HELP! MSHTMPGD.DLL Invalid page fault on starting DHTML project

5. Pesky Pop Ups

6. SELECT TOP and Grouping question

7. pop,ups

8. Pop-ups

9. Date Fields and Pop-Ups

10. Calendar Pop-Ups for Date Entry

11. import text into pop-ups, check boxes

12. Access Pop Ups