Counting Unique Values in Filemaker 3.0

Post by Neil Bjorklun » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a database of bird observations.  In the "name" field are hundreds of
entries, with a given bird name appearing many times (for each time it was
observed).  I can look at a list of unique species using a sub-summary part
sorted by "name" (so that each species in the "name" field is listed only
once), but I haven't figured out how to get FM to count those unique values.
Everything I've tried gives me the total number of occurrences for all the
species listed, not the number of unique species. If you can help out,

Also:  is this any easier in FM4 or FM5? Thanks.

Post by Stuart Bulm » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

<< I have a database of bird observations.  In the "name" field are hundreds of
entries, with a given bird name appearing many times (for each time it was
observed).  I can look at a list of unique species using a sub-summary part
sorted by "name" (so that each species in the "name" field is listed only
once), but I haven't figured out how to get FM to count those unique values.
Everything I've tried gives me the total number of occurrences for all the
species listed, not the number of unique species. >>

In the interest of conserving energy, I'm sending you a file with an example.

Gentle note: if you post to the group seeking help, please have the courtesy to
read the group for your reply.

Regards,

Stu Bulman
Computer Tutor
301-963-6033

Counting Unique Values in Filemaker 3.0

Post by Andr » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I think i could use that file too ;p
Having probleme to ensure that a username is unique for a specific database.
I made a field that is auto entered and must be unique that is equal to the
database_name & " " & userName
But for some reason, the field is only updated when the databse is selected and not
the username.
I would also like to have a pointer on how to use the same passwordlist from the
web security database for different database..so that i only have to enter users
info once and not once for each database (if i had a new user in database one it is
automaticly added in 2 and 3).
Should i make a relation field  and then select the  add related field in the
security database? but then how can i put specific permissions?
Anyway, just having the info on how to count those unique values would be great. i
am using fm4.
Will probably migrate on fm 5 later.

> << I have a database of bird observations.  In the "name" field are hundreds of
> entries, with a given bird name appearing many times (for each time it was
> observed).  I can look at a list of unique species using a sub-summary part
> sorted by "name" (so that each species in the "name" field is listed only
> once), but I haven't figured out how to get FM to count those unique values.
> Everything I've tried gives me the total number of occurrences for all the
> species listed, not the number of unique species. >>

> In the interest of conserving energy, I'm sending you a file with an example.

> Gentle note: if you post to the group seeking help, please have the courtesy to
> read the group for your reply.

> Regards,

> Stu Bulman
> Computer Tutor
> 301-963-6033

1. Count of Unique Values

How do I return a simple count of unique values in a table.  Seems like it
would be simple, but I just can't get it to work.

I want a count of unique account numbers from a table that may have multiple
records with the same account numbers.  Here's what I've been trying:

SELECT Count(*) FROM
(SELECT DISTINCT AccountNo
FROM ScriptFile
WHERE [FileName] = 'NC031502')

What am I doing wrong?

2. How can I determine the default printer?

3. Counting unique values?

4. Deploying SQL Database on an ISP web server

5. VPW 3.0 - Primary index unique field value

6. Event class of Attention with Patrol in profiler? - gotattention.trc (0/1)

7. VPW 3.0 - Primary index unique field value,

8. change of email-id.

9. Filemaker Pro, counting values

10. Selecting unique count on non-unique index

11. Unique Key Count = 1, but Item Count 43

12. Claris Filemaker II -> Claris Filemaker Pro 3.0