Summary fields or Summary table?

Post by Scot » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:01:31

First posting to the group - thanks to everyone for all the great
tips!

Is there any advantage either way between having a large number of
summary fields (20 or more) in a table, as opposed to creating a
related table and using sum(related field)?

I wish FM would let me do summary queries on the fly, without defining
a field or table first.

Scott

Summary fields or Summary table?

Post by Howard Schlossber » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:34:06

One nice thing about the summary field is that you can place it in
different layout parts to get different results.  Place it in the body
to sum all records in the found set.  Place it in a sub-summary part
sorted by last name to get a sub-total for only that last name.  Place
it in a sub-summary part sorted by city to get a sub-total for only that
city.  So define the field once and it is flexible.  Even if you have 20
summary fields, it only taxes the system when they appear on the current
layout.  Summary fields are usually used in reports.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a way to always show a
pre-defined total on a commonly used screen, then the calc fields would
be the way to go.  Stored calcs will always tax the system whenever one
of their target fields has changed -- whether on the current screen or
not.  Unstored calcs only tax when on the screen or called via a script
or other calc.

> First posting to the group - thanks to everyone for all the great
> tips!

> Is there any advantage either way between having a large number of
> summary fields (20 or more) in a table, as opposed to creating a
> related table and using sum(related field)?

> I wish FM would let me do summary queries on the fly, without defining
> a field or table first.

> Scott

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

1. Summary of Summary of Summary of Totals....

Hello all....I appreciate any input since I am considering taking a butter
knife to my wrist. J/K.  What I am trying to do is get a Grand Summary of
all outstanding amount whether they are zero balances or not....currently
the only way I see anything is having a report with ALL invoices + payments
(under their columns) listed which gives me a total per customer # + name
for invoices (Sum Debit) and payments (Sum Credit).  This way I get it per
customer no problem, if I add the field "Balance" it gives me a total of all
invoices of all customer together being a FULL total no subtractions
splitting only where the customer changes but still it's the same
total...example   cust.A blah blah blah Total = 322,089.21.....cust. B blah
blah blah Total = 322,089.21, etc..  Now if I remove the body to only get
the Sub-Summary without listing all payments and invoices and put "Balance"
I get the same effect.

I have several fields that intertwine..
Amount, Shipping Charge, Credit, Balance=Sum Debit-Sum Credit,
Total....which is.... Sum(Amount)+Shipping Charge, Sum Debit...which
is....Summary=Total of Totals, Sum Credit...which is....Summary=Total of
Credit...which is the payments.

Would appreciate any input if any other information is needed..don't
hesitate to ask.  Thanx for any help.

2. 5.0 and MultiProcessors

3. How to make calculations based on several summary fields included in a sub-summary part

4. Compare between Drivers and Database with ODBC driver

5. Summary of a Summary?

6. Calling an OS script from PL/SQL

7. SUMMARY: NEEDED - SQL Summary

8. Can someone please explain connect strings....?

9. align summary fields under table columns?

10. P4Win, Summary fields in Table Frames?

11. pdox 5: report summary fields for calculated fields?

12. Create summary field on related field?

13. Pivot table / summary table