Searchable fields

Post by bjayn » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 05:05:47

Hello,
    In FMP 5 it seems only some fields are available for find requests.
There is a date field with auto enter setup. I have removed "prohibit
mod..." and am allowing user override of the format to make it as open as
possible but it doesn't appear in find mode. Another auto enter field, a
serial number field is available for finds. I've done some reading to see if
there is a limitation on field type but cannot find one. Stumped.

Bill Jaynes
Swan River Software
215 Williams Lane
Bigfork MT 59911
406 837 4132

--
Posted from cheesebox.*port.net [63.162.213.11]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Searchable fields

Post by Greg Whiddo » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 05:27:30

Bill
There isn't any reason why an auto-enter field can't be searched.
It's not entirely clear what you mean by the field not appearing in find
mode. You have to place the field on the layout before it can be used in
find mode.
Is it on the layout? If so, have you checked that 'Allow entry into field'
is checked in the field format dialogue?
Greg

Quote:> Hello,
>     In FMP 5 it seems only some fields are available for find requests.
> There is a date field with auto enter setup. I have removed "prohibit
> mod..." and am allowing user override of the format to make it as open as
> possible but it doesn't appear in find mode. Another auto enter field, a
> serial number field is available for finds. I've done some reading to see
if
> there is a limitation on field type but cannot find one. Stumped.
> Thanks,

> --
> Bill Jaynes
> Swan River Software
> 215 Williams Lane
> Bigfork MT 59911
> 406 837 4132

> --
> Posted from cheesebox.*port.net [63.162.213.11]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Searchable fields

Post by bjayn » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:13:04

Thanks Greg,
    I hadn't checked "allow entry".
Your response is appreciated.
Bill

--
Posted from cheesebox.*port.net [63.162.213.11]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Combining 3 fields to be one searchable field

Hello Group,

FMP5 with Win 98

I have three fields which together make up the identifier for each record.
What I want to do is get another field to combine the selections of these 3
field to be one searchable field.

Field 1 Identifier (Text) - Drop down list to select a Letter  eg:  S
Field 2 Set (Text) - User enters a number for next set eg: 5
Field 3 Item (Number auto index) 1, 2, 3 etc.

If I use merge fields to show what I want to see it would look like this for
3 records.

S5.1
S5.2
S5.3

I need to create a field to hold this information that I can search on.

Thank you.

Toni

2. How do I find the Avg of the Maximum of the Sum in one Query?

3. Searchable database online

4. 3rd Party SQL Monitoring Tool?

5. Searchable Index

6. Calgary - SENIOR Oracle Developers Needed

7. A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

8. Wrapped up in MSDatashape

9. online searchable archiv