FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Pde » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello group,

a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

The preferences are :   max guests      100
                        max files       50
                        DB Cache        40Mb
                        networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
                        FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
did you solve the problem...

Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Glenn Schwand » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Have the clients specified TCP/IP as the network protocol?

Quote:> Hello group,

> a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
> are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
> on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

> The preferences are :      max guests      100
>                    max files       50
>                    DB Cache        40Mb
>                    networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                    FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

> Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
> did you solve the problem...

> Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Paul Brunea » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

What was your situation before you installed FM 5 Server? In other
words, what are they comparing to?

Also, your memory partition is probably too large for FMS5. See if the
manual tells what the most should be. This isn't so much a speed issue,
but a "more doesn't always mean better" kind of thing.

> Hello group,

> a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
> are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
> on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

> The preferences are :   max guests      100
>                         max files       50
>                         DB Cache        40Mb
>                         networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                         FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

> Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
> did you solve the problem...

> Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Lynn All » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hello group,

> a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
> are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
> on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

> The preferences are : max guests      100
>                       max files       50
>                       DB Cache        40Mb
>                       networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                       FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

IIRC, FM server doesn't use more than 40MB of RAM.

Also...make double sure that your server machine is set to Never Sleep,
and that whoever last messed with the server did NOT leave Finder in the
foreground and Server in the background.   FM Server 5 runs like
molasses if it's not the foreground app.  Some people use Applescripts
that run every 15 minutes or so to ensure the Server is in the
foreground.

--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by John » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Lynn,

Will the Appletalk slow them at all? And Peter, do you need to serve that
number of users/files? If not, wouldn't reducing the allocation give them
a bit of a boost?

John Weinshel
datagrace

> > Hello group,

> > a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
> > are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
> > on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

> > The preferences are : max guests      100
> >                       max files       50
> >                       DB Cache        40Mb
> >                       networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
> >                       FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

> IIRC, FM server doesn't use more than 40MB of RAM.

> Also...make double sure that your server machine is set to Never Sleep,
> and that whoever last messed with the server did NOT leave Finder in the
> foreground and Server in the background.   FM Server 5 runs like
> molasses if it's not the foreground app.  Some people use Applescripts
> that run every 15 minutes or so to ensure the Server is in the
> foreground.

> --
> Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
> FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Marti » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hey! I've experienced the same thing: finds and opening files become
slothful events! I am also running FMpro Server on a G3 (266 Mhz)
settings are:

RAM 96 MB
FMS5  44.5 MB
Max Files 50
Number of guests :10
40 MB for database caching
Networking TCP/IP

I found that if I reboot the server, it tends to bring things back to
normal.  The issue Lynn wrote about, FMS running in the background
(hidden behind the Finder Icon), might make sense since I have FMS in the
Startup Items Folder. I find that if I reboot the server, it tends to
bring things back up to normal.  Also by quitting the FMS and re-starting
it I've noticed to get rid of the slow performance issue. Often I'll use
the Server machine to move FM files across our network and on to the
computer I use to develop my solutions. Sometimes, though now I'll pay
more attention to it, I leave the machine in Finder mode while FMS is
running.

-Martin

> Hello group,

> a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
> are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
> on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

> The preferences are :   max guests      100
>                         max files       50
>                         DB Cache        40Mb
>                         networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                         FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

> Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
> did you solve the problem...

> Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Pde » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello all and thanks for replying,

the setback in performance the users are complaining about is the slow
build up of the screens, this only starts happening after a few hours
after the server was restarted. I tested it on MAC and PC and could
see it for myself that the performance is down approx. 300%.

We reduced the number of guests from 100 to 40, restarted the server,
at first it increased the overall speed of the server but after an
hour of two the FMserver went back to it's slow performance..

All the clients are use tcp/ip, could it be that appletalk starts
slowing down the system after some time if both tcp and appletack are
the selected network protocols.

>Hello group,

>a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
>are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
>on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

>The preferences are :       max guests      100
>                    max files       50
>                    DB Cache        40Mb
>                    networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                    FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

>Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
>did you solve the problem...

>Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Pde » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I think the problem is solved, I have Fmserver running in the
foreground (as Lynn suggested), it's running smoothly for hours now...

Peter

>Hello group,

>a couple of days ago we installed FMP 5 Server, but now all the users
>are complaining that Filemaker is very slow. We installed FMP 5 server
>on a G3, 128MB, 6Gig disk,  the G3 is a dedicated Filemaker server.

>The preferences are :       max guests      100
>                    max files       50
>                    DB Cache        40Mb
>                    networking      both tcp/ip and appletalk
>                    FmS5 memory     approx. 70Mb

>Did anyone encounter the same problem, did you solve the problem, how
>did you solve the problem...

>Regards Peter,

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Simon Slav » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Also...make double sure that your server machine is set to Never Sleep,
> and that whoever last messed with the server did NOT leave Finder in the
> foreground and Server in the background.   FM Server 5 runs like
> molasses if it's not the foreground app.  Some people use Applescripts
> that run every 15 minutes or so to ensure the Server is in the
> foreground.

True true very true.  Check that the Energy Saver has appropriate
settings.  Make sure FMP Server is in the foreground and make sure
that File Sharing is turned /off/.

Donn't mess with the memory allocation of FMP Server unless the
default settings are unsatisfactory.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | Come to think of it, just what are we going
No junk email please.          | to say to an alien race if we make contact?
                               | "Do you have Napster?"
                               | "Stop making crop circles!" -- Scott Barber

FM5 Server Mac G3: SLOW

Post by Dr. Phi » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm coming in a little late in this message (I didn't read the original
one), so let me just add my two cents in passing and say that if you're only
using Appletalk and not TCP/IP, you'll get a much slower performance as
well.

I've also noticed that turning off virtual memory helps a lot if your DB is
a big one with many files and bunches of relational fields, portals, etc.
(especially if your scripts apply Sort steps to relationship fields).

Dr. Phil.

----------

>> Also...make double sure that your server machine is set to Never Sleep,
>> and that whoever last messed with the server did NOT leave Finder in the
>> foreground and Server in the background.   FM Server 5 runs like
>> molasses if it's not the foreground app.  Some people use Applescripts
>> that run every 15 minutes or so to ensure the Server is in the
>> foreground.

> True true very true.  Check that the Energy Saver has appropriate
> settings.  Make sure FMP Server is in the foreground and make sure
> that File Sharing is turned /off/.

> Donn't mess with the memory allocation of FMP Server unless the
> default settings are unsatisfactory.

> Simon.
> --
> http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | Come to think of it, just what are we going
> No junk email please.          | to say to an alien race if we make contact?
>                                | "Do you have Napster?"
>                                | "Stop making crop circles!" -- Scott Barber

1. FM5 MAC WEB - Slow searching via the web

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I've set up a web serving system using fp5 unlimited and fp5 server, such
that fp5 unlimited opens a web-companion enabled database as a client of FM
Server, and that database gets served to the web via WebStar. Means you can
take advantage of multithreaded searching, even if not multithreaded
middleware.

The database itself is an archive of about 5 years' worth of articles in a
magazine we publish - about 5500 articles of maybe 800 words each on
average. All fields are indexed text, although some of them are calculated
results.

When you run a search in FileMaker itself, results appear very quickly, even
on a search of the article text (about 4 million words or so). However, the
same search entered via the web is achingly slow. This only happens on the
article text field (even though you get a lot of results typing in a
journalist's name, the search and html render happens pretty quickly), and
the server's disk goes berserk while it runs the search.

Any idea why there would be a difference in a web search vs a non-web search
in terms of speed? (I've tried mucking around with the logical operators: no
difference). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben Rollins

2. password politic

3. FMP Server on G3 Dog slow

4. Describe Tables

5. FM5.5U Mac crashes Mac when quitting

6. Installing foxpro 2.6 for network of macs...

7. Accessing SQL Server 7 from FM5 on a Mac

8. How to create SP for a table structure that doens't exist yet

9. Mac G3 freezes when printing from FMP 3.0

10. G3 Mac + VirtualPC + NT 4.0 + Access97 [How?]

11. G4's Slower than G3's?

12. FMP5 Server Slowing Down on Mac G4 Server