Repeating fields?

Post by renz » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am attempting to create a database for unit personnel in which I need a
field to list all past assignments an employee has had for the duration of
his career. Do I use a repeating field for that, or is a different method
recommended? All help is greatly appreciated.

Lorenzo Hale

Repeating fields?

Post by Paul Brunea » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I would certainly avoid the use of a repeating field for this purpose.
Consider creating a related file called "assignments" or something that
links to the employeeID. It will let you have as many or as few
assignments as you will need, whereas with repeating fields you will
always be asking yourself "How many assignments should I plan ahead for?"

> I am attempting to create a database for unit personnel in which I need a
> field to list all past assignments an employee has had for the duration of
> his career. Do I use a repeating field for that, or is a different method
> recommended? All help is greatly appreciated.

> Lorenzo Hale

Repeating fields?

Post by renz » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Paul,

Thank you. If I want to display this info., would you reccommend using a
lookup field, or a portal?

Lorenzo

> I would certainly avoid the use of a repeating field for this purpose.
> Consider creating a related file called "assignments" or something that
> links to the employeeID. It will let you have as many or as few
> assignments as you will need, whereas with repeating fields you will
> always be asking yourself "How many assignments should I plan ahead for?"

> > I am attempting to create a database for unit personnel in which I need
> > field to list all past assignments an employee has had for the duration
of
> > his career. Do I use a repeating field for that, or is a different
method
> > recommended? All help is greatly appreciated.

> > Lorenzo Hale

Repeating fields?

Post by Paul Brunea » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Lorenzo-

I would use a portal, but it might depend on what your system is like. A
rule of thumb is:

-If you want changes in the related file to be instantly seen in the
main file, use a portal

-If you need to preserve the original information despite later changes
in the related file, use a lookup
(a common example of this is invoice line items. You don't want the
price of an invoice line item to change if your pricelist changes)

PB