Really, really, REALLY need an answer

Post by Phil » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 17:00:54

Hi all,

Yes...I'm amazingly impatient...but also desperate...can anyone
help with the following that I posted earlier....

Thanks,

Phil
-------
Backup script over a network

Hi all,

I have file on a Mac that is open, set to be shared by 2 other people.
One of the fields keeps a track of how many times the database has
been closed ("backup count') and what I wanted was that when the
field reaches 20, a copy of the database is saved  on the host and the
"backup count" is reset. Note that ANYONE closing their version of
the database affects the count (what I mean is that clients accessing
the database and closing it will increase the count)

I'm having trouble getting this copy to be saved....the script is working
with regards the backup count, but how can I trigger a save on the host
machine from across the network? Note, I also need to do this cheap...
no money is available for plug-ins :-(

Part of the solution seems to be having the backup copy open all the time
too...but is this enough? It doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
Note also that the 2 people accessing the database do not have full
rights, so does this have any effect at all? I'd appreciate some advice
on how to make sure that anyone can trigger this backup.

I'm wondering if instead of using "Save as", maybe I need to look at
the "Export" command and move all the records into the open backup
file. I tried to do this once, but it kept saying the fields weren't
defined
or something.

Cheers,

Phil

Really, really, REALLY need an answer

Post by DevMa » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 10:06:22

How about an applescript (you are running on mac, right?) that runs
periodically and then runs a script on the host machine to make the
backup.

I am not an applescript guru but I am sure it could be done. If you are
on PC, well, don't have an answer for you.

In article

> Hi all,

> Yes...I'm amazingly impatient...but also desperate...can anyone
> help with the following that I posted earlier....

> Thanks,

> Phil
> -------
> Backup script over a network

> Hi all,

> I have file on a Mac that is open, set to be shared by 2 other people.
> One of the fields keeps a track of how many times the database has
> been closed ("backup count') and what I wanted was that when the
> field reaches 20, a copy of the database is saved  on the host and the
> "backup count" is reset. Note that ANYONE closing their version of
> the database affects the count (what I mean is that clients accessing
> the database and closing it will increase the count)

> I'm having trouble getting this copy to be saved....the script is working
> with regards the backup count, but how can I trigger a save on the host
> machine from across the network? Note, I also need to do this cheap...
> no money is available for plug-ins :-(

> Part of the solution seems to be having the backup copy open all the time
> too...but is this enough? It doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
> Note also that the 2 people accessing the database do not have full
> rights, so does this have any effect at all? I'd appreciate some advice
> on how to make sure that anyone can trigger this backup.

> I'm wondering if instead of using "Save as", maybe I need to look at
> the "Export" command and move all the records into the open backup
> file. I tried to do this once, but it kept saying the fields weren't
> defined
> or something.

> Cheers,

> Phil

1. Ontape being really, really, really SLOW...

Running Informix 7.24UC5, Aix 4.3.0, RS/6000 P20.  Tape drive is listed as
'5GB 8mm tape' and is an IBM (sorry I don't have more complete info) .

Using ontape to backup this system, the backup process takes around 2 hours
for ~5GB of data.  Currently, the restore is running at over 24 with no end
in site.  Near as I can tell, the system is just taking its time and not
pushing the hardware very hard.  Unfortunately, I am probably going to have
to restore this database a number of times over the next couple of weeks.
Does anyone have ANY suggestions on ways to speed up the restore?  I have
disk space available if that will help, but my impression has been that it
likely would not.

Patrick

2. VFP 3.0 grid and table question

3. I REALLY REALLY NEED, HELP!!!!!

4. What options (if any) to retrieve a SUSPECT database???

5. Really, Really big tables

6. SQl query.... can't get it right. Who knows how to...

7. Really, Really slow printing.

8. User Function and GetDate()

9. Really really really stuck! - Cant connect to Oracle DB

10. Really stuck and cant find an answer help.

11. Answer this if you're really good...

12. Do I really need replication ?

13. REALLY URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH ACCESS2000 CONNECTION TO SQL SVR 7