mac web server death

mac web server death

Post by kevin metcal » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:05:32



Hey all,
I have a mac that runs fm pro 5.0 just fine until I try to attach to it
as a web page.  I know I've seen this problem before, but I can't
remember how to fix it.  I can add/del/mod any recs on any layout, but
when I try to bring it up in a web browser, it 'an error has occured'
gets displayed on the screen.  Then if I try to bring filemaker back up,
it tells me that this copy is already being used.  Please don't tell me
that the copy is being used elsewhere on the network.  It's a restricted
lan (in my house with no internet access) and there are only two
machines on it.  One is a mac and the other is a linux box running
netscape so that I can test.  I'm just curious if anyone can help get to
the bottom of this quickly.  Thanks!

--
Kevin Metcalf
(Carbon Ocelot)

Huh?  http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/utils/rot13.html

 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by Pavel Panfilenk » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:40:26



>  Then if I try to bring filemaker back up,
> it tells me that this copy is already being used.  Please don't tell me
> that the copy is being used elsewhere on the network.  It's a restricted
> lan (in my house with no internet access) and there are only two
> machines on it.  One is a mac and the other is a linux box running
> netscape so that I can test.  I'm just curious if anyone can help get to
> the bottom of this quickly.  Thanks!

Some piece of Filemaker's code leaves in memory.
Restart your Mac.

 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by kevin metcal » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 08:25:35


Quote:> Some piece of Filemaker's code leaves in memory.
> Restart your Mac.

Thanks for trying, but it happens EVERY time I boot the mac.
--
Kevin Metcalf
(Carbon Ocelot)

Huh?  http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/utils/rot13.html
 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by Bump » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:16:08


Try turning your Appletalk off and on, that's where the snippit is, if
that doesn't work you may need to to ditch your AT  prefs

> > Some piece of Filemaker's code leaves in memory.
> > Restart your Mac.

> Thanks for trying, but it happens EVERY time I boot the mac.
> --
> Kevin Metcalf
> (Carbon Ocelot)

> Huh?  http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/utils/rot13.html

 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by Tim Boot » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:35:11


[posted and bcc'd to the cited author]


> Hey all,
> I have a mac that runs fm pro 5.0 just fine until I try to attach to it
> as a web page.  I know I've seen this problem before, but I can't
> remember how to fix it.  I can add/del/mod any recs on any layout, but
> when I try to bring it up in a web browser, it 'an error has occured'
> gets displayed on the screen.  Then if I try to bring filemaker back up,
> it tells me that this copy is already being used.  Please don't tell me
> that the copy is being used elsewhere on the network.  It's a restricted
> lan (in my house with no internet access) and there are only two
> machines on it.  One is a mac and the other is a linux box running
> netscape so that I can test.  I'm just curious if anyone can help get to
> the bottom of this quickly.  Thanks!

OK, I had this problem the first time I installed FM5, but
I can't find my notes on it.

I seem to remember that having the Local Data Access
Companion ready, but not the Web Companion caused FM to crash
when a web request was made.

Check your Plugins, and that the file is multi-user (this
shouldn't have an effect, but all my files are multi)

Cheers

Webko

 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by kevin metcal » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:00:23




> > Hey all,
> > I have a mac that runs fm pro 5.0 just fine until I try to attach to it
> > as a web page.  I know I've seen this problem before, but I can't
> > remember how to fix it.  I can add/del/mod any recs on any layout, but
> > when I try to bring it up in a web browser, it 'an error has occured'
> > gets displayed on the screen.  Then if I try to bring filemaker back up,
> > it tells me that this copy is already being used.  Please don't tell me
> > that the copy is being used elsewhere on the network.  It's a restricted
> Check your Plugins, and that the file is multi-user (this
> shouldn't have an effect, but all my files are multi)

OK, I checked this out, but it didn't work.  I did find something
interesting, however.  When I request a document that doesn't exist,
filemaker works fine.  It gives me the standard filemaker 'Not Found'
screen that all CDML people know and love.  Then I change the file name
to a known correct file, and BOOM!  My browser shows the 'doco contains
no data' and the filemaker machine says 'filemaker has unexpectedly quit
(type 2).  Save and reboot!'

So, what is(are) the difference(s) between a request that sends a file
and a request that sends a built-in page.  (Incidentally, when I request
that the primary page be 'built-in' it dies too.  Oh yeah, and I tried
the applesharing dealy.  It's off and the prefs have been deleted.  I'm
not even sharing the files, but the prefs in filemaker are ste to
tcp/ip, not appletalk.  same problem.

any other idears?  ;)

kevin
--
Kevin Metcalf
(Carbon Ocelot)

Huh?  http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/utils/rot13.html

 
 
 

mac web server death

Post by Robert Camer » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:55:24





> > > Hey all,
> > > I have a mac that runs fm pro 5.0 just fine until I try to attach to it
> > > as a web page.  I know I've seen this problem before, but I can't
> > > remember how to fix it.  I can add/del/mod any recs on any layout, but
> > > when I try to bring it up in a web browser, it 'an error has occured'
> > > gets displayed on the screen.  Then if I try to bring filemaker back up,
> > > it tells me that this copy is already being used.  Please don't tell me
> > > that the copy is being used elsewhere on the network.  It's a restricted

> > Check your Plugins, and that the file is multi-user (this
> > shouldn't have an effect, but all my files are multi)

> OK, I checked this out, but it didn't work.  I did find something
> interesting, however.  When I request a document that doesn't exist,
> filemaker works fine.  It gives me the standard filemaker 'Not Found'
> screen that all CDML people know and love.  Then I change the file name
> to a known correct file, and BOOM!  My browser shows the 'doco contains
> no data' and the filemaker machine says 'filemaker has unexpectedly quit
> (type 2).  Save and reboot!'

> So, what is(are) the difference(s) between a request that sends a file
> and a request that sends a built-in page.  (Incidentally, when I request
> that the primary page be 'built-in' it dies too.  Oh yeah, and I tried
> the applesharing dealy.  It's off and the prefs have been deleted.  I'm
> not even sharing the files, but the prefs in filemaker are ste to
> tcp/ip, not appletalk.  same problem.

> any other idears?  ;)

> kevin
> --
> Kevin Metcalf
> (Carbon Ocelot)

> Huh?  http://www.flactem.com/ocelot/utils/rot13.html

It may or may not help, but what about this: Are you using FM Pro 5.0.3
and Web Companion 5.0.6? What about any software installed on the Mac
like Webstar, maybe Timbuktu, something that could be interfering with
processing the flow over TCP? Are you using the Web Sharing control
panel?

The only other thought I have is about the browser you're using. Are you
using the browser on the Mac, or the Linux box? Netscape? What version?
It could be the browser's prefs are corrupt, or it's a bad Netscape
version.

 
 
 

1. FM5 MAC WEB - Slow searching via the web

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I've set up a web serving system using fp5 unlimited and fp5 server, such
that fp5 unlimited opens a web-companion enabled database as a client of FM
Server, and that database gets served to the web via WebStar. Means you can
take advantage of multithreaded searching, even if not multithreaded
middleware.

The database itself is an archive of about 5 years' worth of articles in a
magazine we publish - about 5500 articles of maybe 800 words each on
average. All fields are indexed text, although some of them are calculated
results.

When you run a search in FileMaker itself, results appear very quickly, even
on a search of the article text (about 4 million words or so). However, the
same search entered via the web is achingly slow. This only happens on the
article text field (even though you get a lot of results typing in a
journalist's name, the search and html render happens pretty quickly), and
the server's disk goes berserk while it runs the search.

Any idea why there would be a difference in a web search vs a non-web search
in terms of speed? (I've tried mucking around with the logical operators: no
difference). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben Rollins

2. modifying records using the web overwrites files

3. OT: Setting up SSL on a Mac OS X 10.1.4 Web Server

4. Too many SQL connections, can't establish new connection

5. Mac OS X Server (Web) and Filemaker Unlimited

6. Error with DBLIST16.OCX

7. Web companion on Mac Appleshare server

8. #Concurrent users

9. Newbie: Getting Mac FileMaker to Web E-commerce Server

10. FMPro Mac Database on NT/IIS web server

11. Optimization Process sql server 2000 blue screen of death

12. LIFE or DEATH of Replication Server !!!

13. Death of checkpoint process on 4.9.2 server