Intercontinental Connectivity

Post by Chuck Barke » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:53:05

I have a client who has offices in the U.S., Great Britain and China and
wants a project management database that can be accessed and updated by
all three offices.  The problem is that the internet connection of their
China office is not dependable and they want a way to have the data
available locally so that they can use and update it, then update the
files on the server in the U.S.

Updating copies of the local file then importing the modified files into
the server version is problematic.  I could update records on the
server, but if someone else had updated the same record, either in the
U.S. or in Great Britain, that data would be overwritten.  Has anyone
seen a solution that addresses this, or has any ideas about it?  I would
also appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with
intercontinental server/client connections in FM.

Intercontinental Connectivity

Post by Dade » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:12:04

I have a similar scenario here. I work in London and my partner works in
Brighton. We could run our contact management database over the net but we
found this rather impractical.

I found a company over in the US that have a product called SyncDeK. It uses
plug-in and does all the updates via email. You can either after every
update or once per day. You can also synchronize multiple sites.

See what you think. They have a good site and also a downloadable demo.

Hope this will be of help to you,

Matt

Quote:> I have a client who has offices in the U.S., Great Britain and China and