FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

Post by Geoff Brand » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:39:51

Folks,

I am a bit confused about the requirements of Unlimited. What is the
performance limitation if I serve files over the company Intranet without
using FMP Server?

thanks,
-gb

FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

Post by Dave Barret » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:56:22

Quote:> Folks,

> I am a bit confused about the requirements of Unlimited. What is the
> performance limitation if I serve files over the company Intranet without
> using FMP Server?

> thanks,
> -gb

If you want to also have fmpro clients then you should get a server.

If you outgrow the performance limitation of one fm-unlimited web server and
want to start splitting the load between multiple machines running
unlimited, then you need a server (but only if the database is read/write...
if its read only... then you don't).

-Dave

FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

Post by Geoff Brand » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:26:39

Thanks.
Any opinion on how Unlimited using just FMP will perform with about 50 users
with, say, rarely more than 5-8 being concurrent (dbms would be read/write)?

-gb

Post by Tim Boot » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:30:26

> Thanks.
> Any opinion on how Unlimited using just FMP will perform with about 50 users
> with, say, rarely more than 5-8 being concurrent (dbms would be read/write)?

If you mean over the Intranet, using a web browser, FM Unlimited
should be fine. If you are going to have more than 1 or 2
people connecting FM -> FM, then I'd get Server as well.

But Server is not required just for web serving purposes.

Cheers

Webko

> -gb

> > > Folks,

> > > I am a bit confused about the requirements of Unlimited. What is the
> > > performance limitation if I serve files over the company Intranet
> without
> > > using FMP Server?

> > > thanks,
> > > -gb

> > If you want to also have fmpro clients then you should get a server.

> > If you outgrow the performance limitation of one fm-unlimited web server
> and
> > want to start splitting the load between multiple machines running
> > unlimited, then you need a server (but only if the database is
> read/write...
> > if its read only... then you don't).

> > -Dave

FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

Post by ZA » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:57:01

Why is that? Is there a significant slowdown of FM -> FM clients
without using Server? I'm considering something similar to the other
poster (using regular FMPro - not Unlimited - but connecting up to 10
FM -> FM clients at a time).

Post by Tim Boot » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:57:09

> > > Thanks.
> > > Any opinion on how Unlimited using just FMP will perform with about 50 users
> > > with, say, rarely more than 5-8 being concurrent (dbms would be read/write)?

> > If you mean over the Intranet, using a web browser, FM Unlimited
> > should be fine. If you are going to have more than 1 or 2
> > people connecting FM -> FM, then I'd get Server as well.

> > But Server is not required just for web serving purposes.

> Why is that? Is there a significant slowdown of FM -> FM clients
> without using Server? I'm considering something similar to the other
> poster (using regular FMPro - not Unlimited - but connecting up to 10
> FM -> FM clients at a time).

If you are *only* doing FM -> FM, then performance would be
acceptable in most circumstances (dependant on the amount of
usage from each connection) - when you start adding web requests
into the equation, the situation becomes a lot muddier.

I had a lot of problems with 4.1 running as both a web
machine and peer-to-peer - in 5.0 you can really seperate
these functions, so I do.

YMMV

Webko

Post by Jeff R. Harmo » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 14:06:44

> Is there a significant slowdown of FM -> FM clients
> without using Server?

Yes.  Server is quite a bit quicker and much better at maintaining a
reasonable level of performance as the number of clients grows.  Plus it
has a bunch of management services (e.g., hot backups) that you'll never
encounter without server.

1. Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

Hi all,
    I am about to create a solution for a client, but I need the following
questions answered to know whether I need to purchase FMP Server or FMP
Unlimited.  The solution will be PC operative.
1.    The solution will be accessed from two computers.
2.    Across an Ethernet system (intranet)
3.    One machine will access one part of the database the other machine a
different part - however the two parts are highly related.  For the moment
One machine will be hosting the solution.
4.    There may be more machines to be add in the future - and modifications
to the solution respectively.
5.    There will be no 'Web' hosting - if that makes a difference.

I am having difficulties in working out which product is more appropriate

--
Jason Ferris
FARM rITe

2. US-NJ: Lawrenceville-Oracle DBA

3. fmp server & fmp unlimited

4. SQL Memory Leak??

5. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

6. To View Or Not TO View

7. Web Hosting with FMP Server & Unlimited

8. Connection Stops Working

9. FMP Server vs. Unlimited

10. Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

11. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting, Part II

12. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

13. Most effective way to setup FMP U and FMP Server