Look up problem Filemaker 2.1 to 6.0.3 Upgrade

Look up problem Filemaker 2.1 to 6.0.3 Upgrade

Post by Nick Rayne » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:31:28

I have to confess very little knowledge of Filemaker other than using a
version of invoicing & contact templates as originally supplied with 2.1,
modified by someone who I can no longer locate. Having now upgraded to Mac
OS X I decided I would upgrade Filemaker so that it would run natively.

With Version 2.1 by typing in Contact First or Contact Last Name or Company
Name in a field called "Lookup" of the invoicing database it would search
the contacts database and fill out the address / company name in the
Invoicing database. With Version 6.0.3 the contacts database is opened but
no fields are filled out.

The "Lookup" field is just defined as a text field.  Also there is another
field call "Blank" defined as Calculation Type with options just ="" which
may have something to do with the lookup function.

Nick Rayner

Look up problem Filemaker 2.1 to 6.0.3 Upgrade

Post by <ni.. » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:19:57

Quote:> I have to confess very little knowledge of Filemaker other than using a
> version of invoicing & contact templates as originally supplied with 2.1,
> modified by someone who I can no longer locate. Having now upgraded to Mac
> OS X I decided I would upgrade Filemaker so that it would run natively.

> With Version 2.1 by typing in Contact First or Contact Last Name or
Company
> Name in a field called "Lookup" of the invoicing database it would search
> the contacts database and fill out the address / company name in the
> Invoicing database. With Version 6.0.3 the contacts database is opened but
> no fields are filled out.

> The "Lookup" field is just defined as a text field.  Also there is another
> field call "Blank" defined as Calculation Type with options just ="" which
> may have something to do with the lookup function.

> Nick Rayner

----

From ver 2,1 to 5, 5.5 and 6 you must use a FM ver 3...
From FM 3 to FM5....

I think that...

Look up problem Filemaker 2.1 to 6.0.3 Upgrade

Post by John Weinshe » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:35:24

That is not correct; a 2.1 file will convert directly into 6x.

While not relational, 2.1 nonetheless used a relational lookup scheme
similar to what it uses now. When you upgraded to 6 and then converted your
files, however, you most likely accepted the default name changes ('Old' and
'Converted'), and those changes broke the relationships controlling the
lookups. You need to re-build them for the lookups to function properly
again.

In the File menu of the Invoices file, under 'Define Relationships', open
the first relationship ('Contacts'). The field 'Company Code' should be
selected on the left, but the right side probably shows something like 'file
missing'. Click on the 'Specify File' button and browse to the new 6.03
version of Contacts, which may have been re-named to something like
'Contacts Converted'. Then select the 'Contact Code' field, click OK. Now
re-build the other relationship, 'Products', by browsing to the converted
(convert if you have not already done so) 'Products' file, and then
selecting the 'Item Number' field.

Now, if you create a new Invoice and enter the account # for someone who
lives in the Contacts file, the contact information will fill in
automatically. You can format the Account # field with a  value list of
those Account #'s.  Select 'Define Value Lists' from the File menu, click
'New', enter a name, select 'Use values from a field', and then browse to
the Contacts file from 'Specify File'; select Contact Code. In Layout mode,
select the 'Company Code' field and then 'Field Format' from the Format
menu. Check the second round checkbox,  and 'Pop-up list', using value
list..., selecting the name for your new value list. Go back to Browse mode
and select the field; you should see a pull down list of the ID's in
Contacts, and selecting one will populate the contact fields; changing the
selection will re-populate them appropriately.

Don't use the pulldown for a large file, as it will become cumbersome, but
it should give you some sense of how FIlemaker works.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

> > I have to confess very little knowledge of Filemaker other than using a
> > version of invoicing & contact templates as originally supplied with
2.1,
> > modified by someone who I can no longer locate. Having now upgraded to
Mac
> > OS X I decided I would upgrade Filemaker so that it would run natively.

> > With Version 2.1 by typing in Contact First or Contact Last Name or
> Company
> > Name in a field called "Lookup" of the invoicing database it would
search
> > the contacts database and fill out the address / company name in the
> > Invoicing database. With Version 6.0.3 the contacts database is opened
but
> > no fields are filled out.

> > The "Lookup" field is just defined as a text field.  Also there is
another
> > field call "Blank" defined as Calculation Type with options just =""
which
> > may have something to do with the lookup function.

> > Nick Rayner

> ----

> From ver 2,1 to 5, 5.5 and 6 you must use a FM ver 3...
> From FM 3 to FM5....

> I think that...

1. FileMaker 2.1 upgrade to 4.1

We are using FM 2.1 and want to upgrade to 4.1. Will all our 2.1 data base
files import into the newer version? What sort of problems can I have? We
want to do this to make sure we can deal with potential Y2K problems. Is
there any other solution to the Y2K problem?

We are a none profit volunteer organisation so are looking for the least
cost solution. Our volunteers find FM 2.1 easy to use and we wouldn't be
thinking about upgrading if the date problem could be solved.

Dick
BC Aviation Museum

2. tricky query?

3. !!!!!TO THOSE WHO UPGRADED FROM FILEMAKER PRO 2.1 !!!!!!

4. How to Truncate Table Referenced by Foreign Key?

5. PC Filemaker Pro v3 file to Mac Filemaker Pro 2.1

6. Server crashes during export

7. API's used by SQL Profiler

8. Filemaker 2.1 for Apple Macintosh and Filemaker 3.0 for Windows 95

9. Mac FileMaker Pro 2.1 Serial numbers problem

10. Apollo 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade problem

11. MDAC 2.1 (Jet 4.0) upgrade problems

12. Problems Upgrading from 2.1 to 2.5 with Async Command/Connection