Summarizing question (newbie)

Post by Ezra » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:38:48

Hi, I'm a relative newbie so please format answers simply and with as
much explanation as possible.

I have a simple flat inventory database, Each record has a Part Number,
Serial number, Quantity and New/Used (in which the value is either "N"
or "U") fields. And a check box indicating New or used which I added.

Most items in the database are a single item and the quantity is 1 but
some small parts are in lots of items so quantity might contain 15 or
20 and the serial number is then N/A

I have been able to count the total quantity of items in the found set
by using Summary, total of Field "quantity"

What I would also like to do is display in 2 sperate fields Total of
Used and total of New items for the found set. Preferrably by counting
New and Used and summing the Quantity, but I could live with just a way
to count total of "new" and "used" records.

I inherited this database from a former employee who quit with no
notice. He also appears to have taken the Filemaker book with him, so I
don't have access to it.

I've looked through this newsgroup & tried a few of the things
mentioned here, but none worked for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

remove "remove & invalid" to reply via e-mail.

Summarizing question (newbie)

Post by Scot » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:13:47

Ezra:

I'm not the summarizing guru in this newsgroup (for that, search on
Maire Black's or James's posts), but I'll take a stab at answering
your question since it looks like no one else has yet.

I think you can do what you want to do by adding four new fields, two
fields that are of type calculation and two fields of type summary.
Let's call the two calculation fields, New_Quantity and
Used_Quantity---these two fields basically say that if the current
record's New/Used field's contents contain "New" (or "Used"), then set
that field's contents to the contents of field Quantity. The
calculations should be defined like this:

New_Quantity [calculation]: Case(New/Used = "New", Quantity)
Used_Quantity [calculation]: Case(New/Used = "Used", Quantity)

Then, your two summary fields, let's call them Total_New_Quantity and
Total_Used_Quantity, would be defined as such:

Total_New_Quantity [summary]: Total of New_Quantity
Total_Used_Quantity [summary]: Total of Used_Quantity

The two summary fields should total the current found set's "New" and
"Used" items.

Let me know if you would like me to email you a sample file.

-Scott

Quote:> I have a simple flat inventory database, Each record has a Part Number,
> Serial number, Quantity and New/Used (in which the value is either "N"
> or "U") fields. And a check box indicating New or used which I added.

> Most items in the database are a single item and the quantity is 1 but
> some small parts are in lots of items so quantity might contain 15 or
> 20 and the serial number is then N/A

> I have been able to count the total quantity of items in the found set
> by using Summary, total of Field "quantity"

> What I would also like to do is display in 2 sperate fields Total of
> Used and total of New items for the found set. Preferrably by counting
> New and Used and summing the Quantity, but I could live with just a way
> to count total of "new" and "used" records.

Summarizing question (newbie)

Post by Ezra » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 02:43:22

Thanks Scott, it worked great.

Quote:> Ezra:

> I'm not the summarizing guru in this newsgroup (for that, search on
> Maire Black's or James's posts), but I'll take a stab at answering
> your question since it looks like no one else has yet.

> I think you can do what you want to do by adding four new fields, two
> fields that are of type calculation and two fields of type summary.
> Let's call the two calculation fields, New_Quantity and
> Used_Quantity---these two fields basically say that if the current
> record's New/Used field's contents contain "New" (or "Used"), then set
> that field's contents to the contents of field Quantity. The
> calculations should be defined like this:

> New_Quantity [calculation]: Case(New/Used = "New", Quantity)
> Used_Quantity [calculation]: Case(New/Used = "Used", Quantity)

> Then, your two summary fields, let's call them Total_New_Quantity and
> Total_Used_Quantity, would be defined as such:

> Total_New_Quantity [summary]: Total of New_Quantity
> Total_Used_Quantity [summary]: Total of Used_Quantity

> The two summary fields should total the current found set's "New" and
> "Used" items.

> Let me know if you would like me to email you a sample file.

> -Scott

> > I have a simple flat inventory database, Each record has a Part Number,
> > Serial number, Quantity and New/Used (in which the value is either "N"
> > or "U") fields. And a check box indicating New or used which I added.

> > Most items in the database are a single item and the quantity is 1 but
> > some small parts are in lots of items so quantity might contain 15 or
> > 20 and the serial number is then N/A

> > I have been able to count the total quantity of items in the found set
> > by using Summary, total of Field "quantity"

> > What I would also like to do is display in 2 sperate fields Total of
> > Used and total of New items for the found set. Preferrably by counting
> > New and Used and summing the Quantity, but I could live with just a way
> > to count total of "new" and "used" records.

1. Newbie...Newbie Question

Hi....I have just gotten hold of Oracle8 client ver.8.0.5....I have
installed succesfully on my Windows95 computer.....My question is can I
do anything (creating, modyfing, querying databases) by itself or do I
need to connect to a Oracle8 Server computer or another external Oracle
database.....

I think the answer is obviuos, but since I only have in my hands the
client CD, im wandering if i can do something useful with it.....

Thanks.............

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. newbie: unable to save local cube (.cub)

3. Newbie -very newbie- question

4. Backups and SQL7.0

5. Newbie question... ODBC and SQL server 6.5 Question

6. # !!HOT!! ORACLE FINANCIALS TRAINING IN ATLANTA & SUNNYVALE

7. posted newbie log backup question below (new question)

8. Dumb Newbie Question datatype question

9. Newbie question ( certainly stupid question)

10. Newbie: CATALOG sample question (SIMPLE question)

11. DB-LIB question ( newbie question )

12. Newbie Question: Informix-4GL Questions???