Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by News Bastard from Orange Plan » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 11:34:11

Hi, all.

I'm just starting to use FX.php, a class permitting PHP to publish
FileMaker data, and have hit a big ol' snag.  I cannot submit forms or
any other HTML function using GET or POST if a relevant fieldname
contains spaces.  There are a couple reasons why this is a problem for
me:

I really like the way FileMaker dynamically modifies field labels on
layouts when name of the field changes.  I have relied heavily on this
feature during development work.  Naming fields according to how you
would like them displayed on a layout -- "Full Name" versus
"full_name" or "FullName" -- is a great convenience.  I would rather
not have to worry about changing field labels whenever I create a new
layout.  That seems to be a step backward as far as user-friendliness.

There are about fifty databases I would like to publish on the Web in
the near future now that I found FX.php and all of them contain
fieldnames with spaces.  That's going to be a tedious activity.  First
I have to rename the fields, then I have to go in and change every
modified field label on every layout in every database.  Ugh!

So, the two big reasons why this whole limitation is a pain in my neck
are the loss of a really helpful FileMaker feature (the ability to
handle and dynamically modify fieldnames containing spaces) and the
huge amount of time it will take to structurally modify and beautify
my existing fieldnames and layouts.

Practically speaking, my question is how to make FX.php communicate
with Web Companion in a way that allows the use of fieldnames
containing spaces?

Philosophically, my question is why aren't these various technologies
(HTML, MySQL (and any SQL), etc.) making their foundations more
reality-friendly -- that is, more consistent with real world syntax
and conventions -- rather than forcing us to code and communicate on
the back-end in such an awkward way.  My thinking is, if FileMaker can
do it everyone else can also.

Thanks for reading.  Can I get an amen???

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by Paul Brunea » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:03:19

put%20a%20"%20"%20wherever%20there%20is%20a%20space

Quote:> Hi, all.

> I'm just starting to use FX.php, a class permitting PHP to publish
> FileMaker data, and have hit a big ol' snag.  I cannot submit forms or
> any other HTML function using GET or POST if a relevant fieldname
> contains spaces.  There are a couple reasons why this is a problem for
> me:

> I really like the way FileMaker dynamically modifies field labels on
> layouts when name of the field changes.  I have relied heavily on this
> feature during development work.  Naming fields according to how you
> would like them displayed on a layout -- "Full Name" versus
> "full_name" or "FullName" -- is a great convenience.  I would rather
> not have to worry about changing field labels whenever I create a new
> layout.  That seems to be a step backward as far as user-friendliness.

> There are about fifty databases I would like to publish on the Web in
> the near future now that I found FX.php and all of them contain
> fieldnames with spaces.  That's going to be a tedious activity.  First
> I have to rename the fields, then I have to go in and change every
> modified field label on every layout in every database.  Ugh!

> So, the two big reasons why this whole limitation is a pain in my neck
> are the loss of a really helpful FileMaker feature (the ability to
> handle and dynamically modify fieldnames containing spaces) and the
> huge amount of time it will take to structurally modify and beautify
> my existing fieldnames and layouts.

> Practically speaking, my question is how to make FX.php communicate
> with Web Companion in a way that allows the use of fieldnames
> containing spaces?

> Philosophically, my question is why aren't these various technologies
> (HTML, MySQL (and any SQL), etc.) making their foundations more
> reality-friendly -- that is, more consistent with real world syntax
> and conventions -- rather than forcing us to code and communicate on
> the back-end in such an awkward way.  My thinking is, if FileMaker can
> do it everyone else can also.

> Thanks for reading.  Can I get an amen???

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by Tim Boot » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 06:20:15

Quote:> There are about fifty databases I would like to publish on the Web in
> the near future now that I found FX.php and all of them contain
> fieldnames with spaces.  That's going to be a tedious activity.  First
> I have to rename the fields, then I have to go in and change every
> modified field label on every layout in every database.  Ugh!

Well, most web technologies recognise the %20 as representative
of a space.

Quote:

> So, the two big reasons why this whole limitation is a pain in my neck
> are the loss of a really helpful FileMaker feature (the ability to
> handle and dynamically modify fieldnames containing spaces) and the
> huge amount of time it will take to structurally modify and beautify
> my existing fieldnames and layouts.

> Practically speaking, my question is how to make FX.php communicate
> with Web Companion in a way that allows the use of fieldnames
> containing spaces?

%20

Quote:

> Philosophically, my question is why aren't these various technologies
> (HTML, MySQL (and any SQL), etc.) making their foundations more
> reality-friendly -- that is, more consistent with real world syntax
> and conventions -- rather than forcing us to code and communicate on
> the back-end in such an awkward way.  My thinking is, if FileMaker can
> do it everyone else can also.

The foundation of nearly every web technology is Unix, yes?
Unix does not allow spaces in file names. So having files
with spaces in them is a bad idea if you're ever going
near the web ;-)

I've got into the habit of CamelCaseFieldNames for this
very reason...

Cheers

Webko

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by Christoph Bouthillie » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 07:20:49

I admit that the "dynamic" following of filenames (if unaltered) on layouts
with those in the field definitions is possible but in my experience it is
totally inadequate in developement. In the field name I always avoid spaces
of course, but above all I can put en enourmous amount of "discerning" info
into it, and I can preceed it by an abbreviation that shows its type. The
short field name on a layout can never bear as much information as the
internal field name. Apart from the possibility of using "%20" of course I'd
really consider seriously changing the whole solution's field name system.
Sooner or later you'll be glad to have it done.... Of course it's hard
labour, but....

--

Met vriendelijke groet / Mit freundlichen Gr?en / With kind regards
Christoph Bouthillier

Quote:> Hi, all.

> I'm just starting to use FX.php, a class permitting PHP to publish
> FileMaker data, and have hit a big ol' snag.  I cannot submit forms or
> any other HTML function using GET or POST if a relevant fieldname
> contains spaces.  There are a couple reasons why this is a problem for
> me:

> I really like the way FileMaker dynamically modifies field labels on
> layouts when name of the field changes.  I have relied heavily on this
> feature during development work.  Naming fields according to how you
> would like them displayed on a layout -- "Full Name" versus
> "full_name" or "FullName" -- is a great convenience.  I would rather
> not have to worry about changing field labels whenever I create a new
> layout.  That seems to be a step backward as far as user-friendliness.

> There are about fifty databases I would like to publish on the Web in
> the near future now that I found FX.php and all of them contain
> fieldnames with spaces.  That's going to be a tedious activity.  First
> I have to rename the fields, then I have to go in and change every
> modified field label on every layout in every database.  Ugh!

> So, the two big reasons why this whole limitation is a pain in my neck
> are the loss of a really helpful FileMaker feature (the ability to
> handle and dynamically modify fieldnames containing spaces) and the
> huge amount of time it will take to structurally modify and beautify
> my existing fieldnames and layouts.

> Practically speaking, my question is how to make FX.php communicate
> with Web Companion in a way that allows the use of fieldnames
> containing spaces?

> Philosophically, my question is why aren't these various technologies
> (HTML, MySQL (and any SQL), etc.) making their foundations more
> reality-friendly -- that is, more consistent with real world syntax
> and conventions -- rather than forcing us to code and communicate on
> the back-end in such an awkward way.  My thinking is, if FileMaker can
> do it everyone else can also.

> Thanks for reading.  Can I get an amen???

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by News Bastard from Orange Plan » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:44:20

I've tried that but it doesn't work since the value in the form is
parsed by FX.php before it hits FileMaker.  FX.php does some
encoding/unencoding that renders that useless in my experience.  I
tried adapting some of FileMaker's XML conventions, such as "+" or "_"
for spaces, but that hasn't worked either.

Thanks, though.  :-)  Maybe I'm missing something.

> put%20a%20"%20"%20wherever%20there%20is%20a%20space

> > Hi, all.

> > I'm just starting to use FX.php, a class permitting PHP to publish
> > FileMaker data, and have hit a big ol' snag.  I cannot submit forms or
> > any other HTML function using GET or POST if a relevant fieldname
> > contains spaces.  There are a couple reasons why this is a problem for
> > me:

<snip>

Web publishing using fieldnames containing spaces (also fx.php)

Post by News Bastard from Orange Plan » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:51:05

I agree with you guys, that in the short term I should comply with
Unix standards and all that.  I dislike that in order to do so with
FileMaker data I am forced to handicap FileMaker by not using a
worthwhile feature, which is support for spaces in field names and
dynamic updating of field labels on layouts.

I'm just complaining, however I strongly believe that technology
should adapt more than it is adapted to.

Thank you very much for your comments.  :-)

1. custom web publishing and related fields [fmp-field: database.fp5::fieldname]

hi there..

i have a related database (event.fp5) being shared via custom web
publishing. Visitors to the web site can submit their registration info
via a web form that has an '-edit' action set for the "Register" button.
If the submission is ok, they're redirected to a confirmation.html page
indicating what exactly was sent.

Can I use related fields in this confirmation.html page? They don't seem
to work(?). I have other .html pages connected to 'event.fp5' where the
related fields are displaying correctly... and of course, any standard
(non-related) fields in the database are showing up fine.

What I've done (temporarily) is to create a calc field in 'event.fp5'
like so:

meeting name = meetings index.fp5::meeting name

Because the first 'meeting name' field lives in event.fp5', I can get it
to display fine on the confirmation page, while still retaining the
relational aspect. This is getting the job done, but I suspect there's a
better way? I noticed the URL listed on 'confirmation.html' is simply
http://my.hostname.com/FMPro..  -that's all. My other .html pages (where
the related fields are showing fine) have
http://my.hostname.com/FMPro&-db=event.fp5&-format=whateverpage.htm&r...
d=12345&-find

Thanks much!

Brian

bhamm [at] eharden {dot} com

2. Help! Many Items on one Order Form (One to Many...)

3. 4th Dimension - which way to web publish, PHP?

4. Newbie question

5. FX.php traduction en fran?ais - Fx.php french translation available now !

6. Help on Microsoft Foxpro 2.6 for the Macintosh

7. FMP 5 Web: Using Instant Web Publishing for calculating only

8. Problem with trigger on DB2 as400

9. FX.php

10. Using FP2K with database-driven web publishing?

11. Using Web Assistant to Publish - SQL 2000

12. Web Publishing Using Template File

13. Web Publishing in SQL Server via IDC using template