Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by Peter Wilkinso » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00



Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
(finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
Zero is a valid result.

I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
include zero but not return the records with the null value.

Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

Peter

--

 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by John Weinshe » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00


When you say "...because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a
value in the the integer field.", it leads me to believe that the field is a
calcualtion field rather than a straight number field (Filemaker doesn't
actually use "int", "double", etc.). If so, try unchecking, in the
calculation box for the field definition, "Do not evaluate if all referenced
fields are empty". I haven't tested this, but it's a likely place to try. I
do not believe that simply changing the field formatting will make any
difference. Another thing you might try is changing the find criteria to
">=0<1". If neither of those work, you might need an intelligent response.

--
John Weinshel
datagrace


Quote:

> Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> Zero is a valid result.

> I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

> Peter

> --


 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by GS » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Omit the null values.  Enter Find Mode, place = in the integer field, click
Omit and Find.
--
Glenn Schwandt



Quote:

> Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> Zero is a valid result.

> I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

> Peter

> --

 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by Paul Brunea » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00


My Filemaker doesn't work like that (version 4.1). I suspect you have
defined your field as a text field.

When I do a find on a number field for "<1" it does not find the null
(empty) ones.

Also, for accuracy's sake, I will state that there is no such thing as
an "integer" field in filemaker. There are "number" and "text" and some
others not important to this discussion.

PB


> Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> Zero is a valid result.

> I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

> Peter

> --

 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by John Weinshe » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Glenn,
That would properly omit the nulls, but he still wouldn't solve his lost
zeroes, i.e., the find is not returning fields with the value "0", a value
he wants to capture, as opposed to no value (null), or empty, which your
routine would fix.

Actually, aren't even "null" and "empty" not really the same thing?

--
John Weinshel
datagrace


> Omit the null values.  Enter Find Mode, place = in the integer field,
click
> Omit and Find.
> --
> Glenn Schwandt



> > Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> > (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> > values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> > because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> > the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> > Zero is a valid result.

> > I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> > include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> > Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

> > Peter

> > --

 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by fmpsoluti.. » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:33:01


Try finding all values <1 and >""  ("" = blank or null).  This might
help.  Let me know if not there are other ways around this.



Quote:

> Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> Zero is a valid result.

> I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

> Peter

> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Null values: Classic null value problem (?)

Post by Maire Bla » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00


I am trying to figure this out. I can't make this happen in version 5.
It just behaves as you would want it to behave. The zero is found, the
null is not. Is this something that was fixed in 5?

Maire Black


> Try finding all values <1 and >""  ("" = blank or null).  This might
> help.  Let me know if not there are other ways around this.



> > Whiles using a find command in an integer field that has only integers
> > (finding all values  < 1), it returns records that also include null
> > values, i.e. there are some records that are blank. They are blank
> > because the rest of the data in the record does not merit a value in
> > the the integer field. Also the null value does not mean zero either.
> > Zero is a valid result.

> > I would like to be able to search the integer field for all integers
> > include zero but not return the records with the null value.

> > Anyone know how this can be done with filemaker 4.0

 
 
 

1. inserting null values into not null column in Server 7.0

Murali,

Since the data type is CHAR (4), the obvious question is an entry of all
blanks considered an "empty" string. Usually the phrase "empty string"
refers to a string of length zero, so an entry of 1 blank, or 2 blanks, or 3
blanks, or 4 blanks is NOT an empty string strictly speaking.

Assuming that you wish to disallow entries of both zero characters and just
blanks, you can add a CHECK constraint similar to:

create table foo
(id              char(4) not null  CHECK (id <> '')

-------------------------------------------
BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.


Hi folks:
In sql 7.0, the columns accepts empty string values eventhough
declared not null. Can anybody suggest how to check for empty
string values before it is  insterted in to the table. DDL of the table for
example is as follows.
create table foo
(id              char(4) not null)
go
Note : we don't want to change the datatype.

2. need help creating SQL search screen

3. Is Null returns records where value is not null

4. Problem with having Hints and Foreign Key constraints together!!

5. Determining a NULL/non NULL value

6. Oracle7 WorkgroupServer problems...

7. HOWTO: Declare table field having Default Value - NULL or NOT NULL

8. $100,000.00 REWARD 4 AL Hill ex-Dayton Power & Light President

9. Sending null strings and NULL values

10. NULL value in a NOT NULL field

11. Export Null values to Excel cause left shifted values in XLS

12. how to update column with null value by a new value

13. Overwriting a Date Value with a Null Value using SQLXML