FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

Post by Hatzigiannakis Niko » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:00:05

When I use a portal to display related records

1. Is it possible to filter the records and display only the related records
that confirm some creteria. For example to display not all but the orders of
one customer in a specified date range.
2. Is it possible to disable the ability to add new records in a portal (but
I still want to edit some fields of the existing records)

FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

Post by Bridget Ele » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:34:22

Filtered portals can be achieved by using a global field (or a calc based on
a global field or fields) on the left side of the relationship.  Filtering
date ranges is somewhat more complex.  I recommend "Smart Ranges Theory"
(article and technique files) from

http://www.onegasoft.com

You can prevent the creation of new related records via the portal by
de-selecting the "Allow creation of new related records" option in the Edit
Relationship window. Providing that the related fields in the portal are
modifiable and formatted to allow entry, you will still be able to edit
existing related records.

--
Bridget Eley

Quote:> When I use a portal to display related records

> 1. Is it possible to filter the records and display only the related records
> that confirm some creteria. For example to display not all but the orders of
> one customer in a specified date range.
> 2. Is it possible to disable the ability to add new records in a portal (but
> I still want to edit some fields of the existing records)

FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

Post by Fenton Jon » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:02:24

I agree with Bridget Eley, the Smart Ranges technique is brilliant.
But a simpler approach for smaller ranges might be the free Ranges
plug-in, by David McKee of FileMaker Inc.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/9327/home.html

It comes with an example file. It is really pretty easy to use, and
accepts addition input, such as your Customer ID, as well as the start
and stop dates for a range.

It is a plug-in however, which means that all users would need to have
it. But it's free, and appears to work fine on version 5.5.

FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

Post by Bridget Ele » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:27:34

The theory behind smart ranges is fairly advanced, but the actual calcs can
be copied and  pasted into your own solution with very few changes and
without necessarily understanding how they work.  The article explains
everything you need to know.

--
Bridget Eley

Quote:> I agree with Bridget Eley, the Smart Ranges technique is brilliant.
> But a simpler approach for smaller ranges might be the free Ranges
> plug-in, by David McKee of FileMaker Inc.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/9327/home.html

> It comes with an example file. It is really pretty easy to use, and
> accepts addition input, such as your Customer ID, as well as the start
> and stop dates for a range.

> It is a plug-in however, which means that all users would need to have
> it. But it's free, and appears to work fine on version 5.5.

1. adding new portal records via the Web

Is it possible, using FileMaker Pro v5 and CDML, to add multiple
portal rows to a database via the web?

If so, what is the procedure?

I've tried using the following format but only the first portal row is
added:

##################
<form action="FMPro" method="post" name="addeventform">
   <INPUT TYPE="hidden" Name="-db" Value="CampusEvents">
   <INPUT TYPE="hidden" Name="-lay" Value="web">
   <INPUT TYPE="hidden" Name="-token" Value="[FMP-currentrecid]">
   <INPUT TYPE="hidden" Name="-format" Value="accepted.html"><br>
  Event Name:<INPUT TYPE="text" Size="30" Name="EventName"><br>
  Begin Date:<input type="text" name="BeginDate"><br>
  End Date: <input type="text" name="EndDate"><br>
  <input type="hidden" name="relationship::field.0"
        value="7/10/2002">
  <input type="hidden" name="relationship::field.1"
       value="7/11/2002">
  <input type="submit" name="-new" value="Submit">
</form>
##################

If I specify more portal rows (e.g., relationship::field.2,
relationship::field.3, relationship::field.4 and so on) I receive
error -50.

Rich Hughes

2. Corrupted SE version 5.0 table

3. add new record through a portal issue

4. Very wierd Filemaker behavior

5. Adding Records To An HTML Portal

6. server won't shutdown

7. adding ALL records to a portal

8. CLIPPER LIBRARIES

9. Adding records via portal in web companion

10. Add item in line item portal from another portal

11. new records in portal

12. sorting new record to top in portal

13. creating new portal record