Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

Post by Jason Ferri » Thu, 09 May 2002 20:21:02

Hi all,
    I am about to create a solution for a client, but I need the following
questions answered to know whether I need to purchase FMP Server or FMP
Unlimited.  The solution will be PC operative.
1.    The solution will be accessed from two computers.
2.    Across an Ethernet system (intranet)
3.    One machine will access one part of the database the other machine a
different part - however the two parts are highly related.  For the moment
One machine will be hosting the solution.
4.    There may be more machines to be add in the future - and modifications
to the solution respectively.
5.    There will be no 'Web' hosting - if that makes a difference.

I am having difficulties in working out which product is more appropriate

--
Jason Ferris
FARM rITe

Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

Post by Greg Dembe » Thu, 09 May 2002 23:20:00

For only two computers, all you need is Filemaker Pro, which includes it's
own host-client capabilities.   If one day you are sharing the database
among more than 5-6  computers you may want Filemaker Server.  If there is
no web hosting, you will never need Filemaker Unlimited.

--

Post by Tim Boot » Fri, 10 May 2002 06:13:17

> Hi all,
>     I am about to create a solution for a client, but I need the following
> questions answered to know whether I need to purchase FMP Server or FMP
> Unlimited.  The solution will be PC operative.
> 1.    The solution will be accessed from two computers.
> 2.    Across an Ethernet system (intranet)
> 3.    One machine will access one part of the database the other machine a
> different part - however the two parts are highly related.  For the moment
> One machine will be hosting the solution.
> 4.    There may be more machines to be add in the future - and modifications
> to the solution respectively.
> 5.    There will be no 'Web' hosting - if that makes a difference.

> I am having difficulties in working out which product is more appropriate

At this point - neither. Just plain vanilla FileMaker on each
machine, make one of them host the actual files, the other
one connects through the Hosts dialogue to share the
databases.

In the future (once there are more then 5 or so machines),
get a dedicated computer (doesn't have to be great) to
run FileMaker Server.

Unlimited is only useful for web publishing.

Cheers

Webko

1. fmp server & fmp unlimited

Can I setup fmp server and fmp unlimited on my database server (win nt -
dual pIII 600 with 512mg ram).  I want server to host the databases for
unlimited.  The unlimited is used to serve web based databased.  I know that
server is disk and ram intensive and uses a lot of the memory but the fmp U
will not do anything but to serve as a bridge between the web connector and
the databases but will that setup work or is there any problem that can be
forseen.

Tx for you help

2. US-TN-TECHNICAL 11I

3. FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

4. Visual Basic Programmers

5. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

6. Can't edit fields in form

7. Web Hosting with FMP Server & Unlimited

8. Help - Getting disconnected from Sybase

9. FMP Server vs. Unlimited

10. Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

11. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting, Part II

12. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

13. Most effective way to setup FMP U and FMP Server