Max Number of fields

Post by Nosew » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:09:48

Is there a limit to the max number of fields a db can have?

Im currently have to create a report with a break down of  7 items,  per
month with claims per Item adding in totals, percentages and such. approx 20
field per month,  showing 1 year of information. I was going to try and do
this with relationships and portals but i dont think the numbers would be
accurate, a three month contract purchased in january expiring in march with
no claims just gets deleted , using rel. and portals , january total sales
will change.

Im sure others have run across similiar situations to this, and how to
approach it.

Max Number of fields

Post by Lynn all » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:40:44

> Is there a limit to the max number of fields a db can have?

> Im currently have to create a report with a break down of  7 items,  per
> month with claims per Item adding in totals, percentages and such. approx 20
> field per month,  showing 1 year of information. I was going to try and do
> this with relationships and portals but i dont think the numbers would be
> accurate, a three month contract purchased in january expiring in march with
> no claims just gets deleted , using rel. and portals , january total sales
> will change.

> Im sure others have run across similiar situations to this, and how to
> approach it.

There is no set limit to the numbers of fields. However, trying to
create a cross-tab system in FM is often fraught with problems. May I
ask if you've considered subsummary reports and whether they might
provide the required information even if it doesn't present *exactly*
like a spreadsheet cross-tab kind of printout?

Another alternative is to keep the information in FM, and create the
reports in Excel. FM 5.5 plays excellently with Excel, even to the
extent of being able to create a chart in Excel and update it with live
data from FM using Publishing.

Creating 20 new fields (or is that 20 x 7?) per month, is, I guarantee
you, the wrong way to structure your file.
--
Lynn Allen              Allen & Allen Semiotics
FSA Associate           Filemaker Consulting & Training

Max Number of fields

Post by Tim Boot » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:52:11

> Is there a limit to the max number of fields a db can have?

According to the FileMaker Pro Limitations record in the
FAQ:

Number of Fields per Record = Limited only by disk space or maximum file
size.

Cheers

Webko

Max Number of fields

Post by Nosew » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:11:46

Thanks Lynn & Tim,

File size i dont think will ever be a issue, i was more concerned with all
the extra 120 fields that will never be used until the following year. and
cluttering our customerdb,
20 fields per month mostly globals, few calcs

reporting prior to Jan was done with monthly excel files. just thought i
might be able to get it all out of FM..

Somehow just posting to this NG, just sparks a different thought or
approachs.   I Luv this NG and FM :c)
(maybe just be stopping for a few or maybe magic....)

I think I would be better off just creating a new db with a PriKey like
12002, 22002, 32002 ect representing monthYear and a concated value of the
same in my customerdb, create the relationship and just update the related
one record value upon saving the customers contract.

We or I have only been using filemaker since January this year. (Since a
failed attempt from a company in philly, of a siebel/great plains
implimentation. ) and still learning from questions and awnsers from this NG
and 5 big FM books.

    Thanks Again
        Ted

> > Is there a limit to the max number of fields a db can have?

> According to the FileMaker Pro Limitations record in the
> FAQ:

> Number of Fields per Record = Limited only by disk space or maximum file
> size.

> Cheers

> Webko

1. Max Number of Fields in SQL Server?

Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing MS SQL Server for a database project that I am
working on.  The max number of fields (columns) in Xbase is 255.  Does this
limitation exist in MS SQL?  If not, what is the limit?

Thanks,

David Aherron

2. Ingres and Solaris?

3. Max number of fields problem

4. (Fwd) Re: MS Access, outer join and ODBC

5. Max number of fields in dBASE table

6. VB5 Backup

7. Max Number of Fields?

8. Auto import of text file

9. Max number of fields in an ADO/Sql 6.5 query

10. Max number of fields in Oracle

11. Max number of fields in an Oracle database???

12. Max number of fields

13. Max of a number of fields?