How to Modify files on Server?

Post by mwilco » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:56:13

There must be an easy answer here that is alluding me. I have just set up
all our Filemaker files on a dedicated NT computer and use FM Server 5. I
would like to modify the files using a remote NT computer. So far, it's nice
and speedy. I like that.

But-- when I open up a file on the remoter computer (as the only "guest")
and attempt to add a field, I am advised that the file is being shared and
cannot be modified. (This is the result whether I have the Filemaker file
directly in the filemaker Server 5 folder or use shortcuts.)

As recommmended, I do not have FMP 5 on the server, so I cannot work on the
files there. The only thing I can think of is to close the files on the
server, set the folder in which the filemaker files reside to file sharing,
and then open them up via file sharing on the remote computer. But file
sharing is taboo in the Filemaker world. So I'm surprised that this is how
you have to work on them.

I know smart database developers plan out their databases, set them up, then
transfer them to the server and forget about them. However, I cannot do
that; our business is constantly changing, and the database must change with
it.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you.

Regards,
M. Wilcox

How to Modify files on Server?

Post by William H. Waits I » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:12:29

Quote:>There must be an easy answer here that is alluding me. I have just set up
>all our Filemaker files on a dedicated NT computer and use FM Server 5.
>would like to modify the files using a remote NT computer. So far, it's
>nice
>and speedy. I like that.

>But-- when I open up a file on the remoter computer (as the only "guest")
>and attempt to add a field, I am advised that the file is being shared and
>cannot be modified. (This is the result whether I have the Filemaker file
>directly in the filemaker Server 5 folder or use shortcuts.)

>As recommmended, I do not have FMP 5 on the server, so I cannot work on
>the
>files there. The only thing I can think of is to close the files on the
>server, set the folder in which the filemaker files reside to file sharing,
>and then open them up via file sharing on the remote computer. But file
>sharing is taboo in the Filemaker world. So I'm surprised that this is how
>you have to work on them.

>I know smart database developers plan out their databases, set them up,
>then
>transfer them to the server and forget about them. However, I cannot do
>that; our business is constantly changing, and the database must change
>with
>it.

>I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you.

>Regards,
>M. Wilcox

It sounds like you are accessing the files via File Sharing, and not through
FileMaker Pro Server.

If you want to modify your files, merely open the file(s) using the Hosts
button on the Open File dialog box.  Upon double-clicking your choice, make
sure that you are holding down the Option key if using a Mac, or the Shift key
if using a PC, and input the admin password (if you have it password
protected).  Once open, you are free to edit at will.

Keep in mind that at this point, if you want to alter/add actual fields, you
will be asked to kick anyone else off that may be accessing a layout with those
fields on it....

Hope that this helps...

Bill
--------------
The box listed as the requirements:  Windows95 or better
...so I bought a Macintosh.

(Remove nospam from email address)

How to Modify files on Server?

Post by John Weinshe » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:05:09

What version of the Filemaker 5 application are you using? With FMP 5.03 you
actually can develop on a served file, with the exception of altering
password privileges:
1) A key feature in this updater is the ability to now access Define Fields
in databases being hosted from FileMaker Server 5.

To work with field definitions in a database hosted by FileMaker Server, you
must have exclusive access to the database. When you have exclusive access,
no other guests are connected to the database.

If you have full access privileges and are the sole guest of a database
hosted from FileMaker Server 5, you can access the Define Fields dialog box
directly from the guest machine. You no longer have to close the database in
FileMaker Server and reopen it locally in FileMaker Pro 5.

Above from http://www.filemaker.com/support/uplist.html#fm5v3
--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> There must be an easy answer here that is alluding me. I have just set up
> all our Filemaker files on a dedicated NT computer and use FM Server 5. I
> would like to modify the files using a remote NT computer. So far, it's
nice
> and speedy. I like that.

> But-- when I open up a file on the remoter computer (as the only "guest")
> and attempt to add a field, I am advised that the file is being shared and
> cannot be modified. (This is the result whether I have the Filemaker file
> directly in the filemaker Server 5 folder or use shortcuts.)

> As recommmended, I do not have FMP 5 on the server, so I cannot work on
the
> files there. The only thing I can think of is to close the files on the
> server, set the folder in which the filemaker files reside to file
sharing,
> and then open them up via file sharing on the remote computer. But file
> sharing is taboo in the Filemaker world. So I'm surprised that this is how
> you have to work on them.

> I know smart database developers plan out their databases, set them up,
then
> transfer them to the server and forget about them. However, I cannot do
> that; our business is constantly changing, and the database must change
with
> it.

> I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you.

> Regards,
> M. Wilcox

How to Modify files on Server?

Post by mwilco » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:27:45

I do have file sharing turned off on the server, and I am going through the
"HOSTS" button to open up the files. I thought maybe the "SHIFT" key was the
solution, but I still get the message about the file being shared (I am the
guest), and it will not allow me to modify the table.

I appreciate your help, but I am still at a loss.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Quote:>>There must be an easy answer here that is alluding me. I have just set up
>>all our Filemaker files on a dedicated NT computer and use FM Server 5.
>>would like to modify the files using a remote NT computer. So far, it's
>>nice
>>and speedy. I like that.

>>But-- when I open up a file on the remoter computer (as the only "guest")
>>and attempt to add a field, I am advised that the file is being shared and
>>cannot be modified. (This is the result whether I have the Filemaker file
>>directly in the filemaker Server 5 folder or use shortcuts.)

>>As recommmended, I do not have FMP 5 on the server, so I cannot work on
>>the
>>files there. The only thing I can think of is to close the files on the
>>server, set the folder in which the filemaker files reside to file
sharing,
>>and then open them up via file sharing on the remote computer. But file
>>sharing is taboo in the Filemaker world. So I'm surprised that this is how
>>you have to work on them.

>>I know smart database developers plan out their databases, set them up,
>>then
>>transfer them to the server and forget about them. However, I cannot do
>>that; our business is constantly changing, and the database must change
>>with
>>it.

>>I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you.

>>Regards,
>>M. Wilcox

>It sounds like you are accessing the files via File Sharing, and not
through
>FileMaker Pro Server.

>If you want to modify your files, merely open the file(s) using the Hosts
>button on the Open File dialog box.  Upon double-clicking your choice, make
>sure that you are holding down the Option key if using a Mac, or the Shift
key
>if using a PC, and input the admin password (if you have it password
>protected).  Once open, you are free to edit at will.

>Keep in mind that at this point, if you want to alter/add actual fields,
you
>will be asked to kick anyone else off that may be accessing a layout with
those
>fields on it....

>Hope that this helps...

>Bill
>--------------
>The box listed as the requirements:  Windows95 or better
>...so I bought a Macintosh.

>(Remove nospam from email address)

How to Modify files on Server?

Post by William H. Waits I » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:38:17

Quote:>I do have file sharing turned off on the server, and I am going through
>the
>"HOSTS" button to open up the files. I thought maybe the "SHIFT" key was
>the
>solution, but I still get the message about the file being shared (I am
>the
>guest), and it will not allow me to modify the table.

>I appreciate your help, but I am still at a loss.

>Any other thoughts?

>Thanks

It sounds like someone else has the file opened via file sharing.  Try
restarting the machine normally, thereby forcing all users off and then
trying...Let me know if this helps...

Bill
--------------
The box listed as the requirements:  Windows95 or better
...so I bought a Macintosh.

(Remove nospam from email address)

How to Modify files on Server?

Post by mwilco » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:02:05

Dear Mr. Weinshel:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Despite searching Filemaker's website and the newsgroups, this did not pop
up.

I had not upgraded to 5.0 v3; I now have, and can modify the files remotely.

To reiterate for lurkers:

You must upgrade to Filemaker Pro 5.0  v3 to be able to modify files on
Filemaker Server 5.

Suggestion to Filemaker:

How about a note on the Server software to this effect?

Regards,
M. Wilcox

1. COPY / MODIFY or MODIFY / COPY ?

I have a btree table that I want to load several hundred rows into via a
bulk copy

In 6.4 I was always advised to do the copy then modify to btree
and thats the order of the SQL generated by copydb

In OpenIngres and IngresII the copydb generates the modify to btree BEFORE
the copy

Does this mean that there is now nothing to be gained from re-modifying
tables AFTER a COPY / large INSERT or is it all dependent on the structure
of the table ?

2. a form to call the tutility API table repair / verify ??

3. How to modify a table automaticlly after another table modified

4. Import filter for TIF Group IV

5. find file size,last modified date thru SQL

6. SQL Server and ISA Server on the web

7. Modify DTS-File with API

8. what files are modified during sql setup

9. MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 112

10. File Modified Date

11. Modifying source file name

12. File Modified Date?