Relationships

Post by klink1.. » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:59:36

I'm sure this is a completelly obvious question:

I've got two databases, the first one is an order form and the second is a
list of images that can be displayed on the order form.

To set the order form image I want to have the image list brought up, so it
can be searched previewed, etc - then click a button and the image ID is
stored in the orderform as a reference.

I had the idea of using scripting to open the image-browse database layout
then pausing the script. Then there's a button next to each image that would
resume the script - then the script would use Set Field to pull the image ID
into the order form... but the Set Field doesn't work! I'm pretty new to
Filemaker so sorry if it's a real basic question.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Relationships

Post by Paul Brunea » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:32:53

I do this very thing in many situations. For instance, looking for a
customer when creating a duplicate of an estimate.

I would start in the order form file as you say, then call a script in
the image database. The image database script has the pause in it, and
you can have a button next to the image (or make it the image itself)
that simply continues the script and does a set field as you indicate.

Here is the deal though. You want to set a GLOBAL field in the other
database (through ANY relationship--even an invalid one!) to pass the
data. Global fields are super great for passing data across files.

See if that gets you there. There are many ways to do this type of
thing. You will learn them all by doing over time.

PB

> I'm sure this is a completelly obvious question:

> I've got two databases, the first one is an order form and the second is a
> list of images that can be displayed on the order form.

> To set the order form image I want to have the image list brought up, so it
> can be searched previewed, etc - then click a button and the image ID is
> stored in the orderform as a reference.

> I had the idea of using scripting to open the image-browse database layout
> then pausing the script. Then there's a button next to each image that would
> resume the script - then the script would use Set Field to pull the image ID
> into the order form... but the Set Field doesn't work! I'm pretty new to
> Filemaker so sorry if it's a real basic question.

> Thanks in advance

> Ben

Relationships

Post by klink1.. » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:09:59

Thanks, worked like a charm

> I do this very thing in many situations. For instance, looking for a
> customer when creating a duplicate of an estimate.

> I would start in the order form file as you say, then call a script in
> the image database. The image database script has the pause in it, and
> you can have a button next to the image (or make it the image itself)
> that simply continues the script and does a set field as you indicate.

> Here is the deal though. You want to set a GLOBAL field in the other
> database (through ANY relationship--even an invalid one!) to pass the
> data. Global fields are super great for passing data across files.

> See if that gets you there. There are many ways to do this type of
> thing. You will learn them all by doing over time.

> PB

> > I'm sure this is a completelly obvious question:

> > I've got two databases, the first one is an order form and the second is
> > list of images that can be displayed on the order form.

> > To set the order form image I want to have the image list brought up, so
it
> > can be searched previewed, etc - then click a button and the image ID is
> > stored in the orderform as a reference.

> > I had the idea of using scripting to open the image-browse database
layout
> > then pausing the script. Then there's a button next to each image that
would
> > resume the script - then the script would use Set Field to pull the
image ID
> > into the order form... but the Set Field doesn't work! I'm pretty new to
> > Filemaker so sorry if it's a real basic question.

> > Thanks in advance

> > Ben

Relationships

Post by Chris Brow » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:29:39

unless I'm mising something painfully obvious, there are a couple of very
simple methods

A. order form
B. Image list

method 1
create a global constant field in A, g_a, add the field to the layout, and in
browse mode enter a
create a text field in B, constant_a, and set it to auto enter a (this will
fill new records), find all records and use replace to fill all records with a
create a relationship in A, rel.1 g_a::constant_a, to B

add a portal to your layout in A using the rel, and add appropriate fileds
Result: scrollable list of image names.
Add a button to the first portal row in layout mode, this will then appear on
all portal rows in browse mode.
Attatch a script (in Scriptmaker in A) to the button,  that sets the 'image
name" field in A, to the image name of the portal row item
set field A.imagename to rel.1::imagename (add a go to layout, original
layout/refresh step) i.e. 2 line script.

there ya go, scroll the list, click the button.

method 2
create the image name field, create a value list, and attach to the field as a
popou list.
this is a bit unwieldy if there is a large list of names in B

variation on method 1
if the dbB has the images as well, or if it can be linked to the images, you
can scroll the actual images in the A portal

regards

Chris

> I'm sure this is a completelly obvious question:

> I've got two databases, the first one is an order form and the second is a
> list of images that can be displayed on the order form.

> To set the order form image I want to have the image list brought up, so it
> can be searched previewed, etc - then click a button and the image ID is
> stored in the orderform as a reference.

> I had the idea of using scripting to open the image-browse database layout
> then pausing the script. Then there's a button next to each image that would
> resume the script - then the script would use Set Field to pull the image ID
> into the order form... but the Set Field doesn't work! I'm pretty new to
> Filemaker so sorry if it's a real basic question.

> Thanks in advance

> Ben

1. Doubt with relationship to the relationship?

I am creating a base of data and I came across the following situation:

tables and primary keys

opinion: numeroParecer, codigoFuncionario
notification: numeroNotificacao, numeroParecer
autoInfracao: numeroAutoInfrancao, numeroNotificacao

In other words, they possess a relacinamento 1 x n, here everything well,
however, my reality is other.

The business rules are the following ones:

The user can begin to work in the following way depending on the file that
receives.

rule 01: employee, to seem, notification
rule 02: employee, to seem, notification, autoInfracao
rule 03: employee, notification
rule 04: employee, autoInfracao

Being like this, he can begin the work in the four ways above mentioned,
then, I cannot create a relationship 1 x n.

The one that I did and would like to know if it is correct and the
following:

1st Left the tables to Seem, Notification and AutoInfracao only with your
respective primary keys (they don't possess foreign key)

2nd created a relationship n x m among Seeming and notification inserting
the following keys would excel:
NumeroParecer, numeroNotificacao and codigoFuncionario

3rd created a relationship n x m between notification and employee inserting
the following keys would excel:
NumeroNotificacao and codigoFuncionario

That is correct, because this way the user can begin to work in the way that
more it suits with the reality.

2. Various Access 97 Error Messages

3. Relationships using relationships?

4. Creating database during installation

5. Indeterminate relationships in Relationships Window

6. onbar question

7. Is there a tool that shows relationships in SQL Server like the Access relationship window?

8. Clustered Indexes

9. List Table Relationships

10. many-to-many relationships in forms/subforms

11. import the tables and the relationships of the access for SQL

12. Losing Relationships

13. Table design / relationship problem