Printing certain pages

Printing certain pages

Post by Bill Jayne » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:23:49



Hello,
Could I get an update? I would like to have some buttons linked to
scripts  Print page 1
Print page 2 etc
I had thought that if a print step is run with the particular page only
printing and then a print step is added to a script that it will save
the page number. Now, upon checking, I'm not so sure. Tried the Go to
page step prior to the print step but the print step does not seem to be
influenced by that. Print Setup appears to only store orientation,
quality etc w/out page numbers. I think some users would rather not see
their print dialog. Any thoughts?
Thanks much,
Bill/W98/FMP5

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

 
 
 

Printing certain pages

Post by Tim Boot » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:21:33



> Hello,
> Could I get an update? I would like to have some buttons linked to
> scripts  Print page 1
> Print page 2 etc
> I had thought that if a print step is run with the particular page only
> printing and then a print step is added to a script that it will save
> the page number. Now, upon checking, I'm not so sure. Tried the Go to
> page step prior to the print step but the print step does not seem to be
> influenced by that. Print Setup appears to only store orientation,
> quality etc w/out page numbers. I think some users would rather not see
> their print dialog. Any thoughts?

Good grief - how do they cope with printing Word, Excel, webpages etc?

I have only one app that prints without dialog, and it is a major pain
especially when I want 2 copies of something....

Webko

 
 
 

Printing certain pages

Post by Bill Jayne » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:52:50


Thanks Webko,
    I appreciate that people must come to embrace the Print dialog. But,
just for the record, what will Filemaker reliably remember in a Print step?
I set up one script to print page 2 by first manually printing page 2 and
then adding Print to a script. It seems that script just wants to do
whatever happened last time the file was printed. No memory.
    Another script was built the same way to print "All" pages. That script
works! No matter the most recent print parameters, it wants to print "All".
If there is an underlying scheme, I'd really like to know.
Thanks,
Bill


 Good grief - how do they cope with printing Word, Excel, webpages etc?

I have only one app that prints without dialog, and it is a major pain
 especially when I want 2 copies of something....

 Webko

 
 
 

Printing certain pages

Post by Bill Jayne » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:15:30


Ran another test; did a Print Setup, then printed page 2. Then added both a
Print Setup Restore No Dialog followed by a Print step. Now, that script
seems set to print page 2 no matter what printing was done prior to it. So,
do these steps link somehow; is it reliable?
Thanks,
Bill


> Thanks Webko,
>     I appreciate that people must come to embrace the Print dialog. But,
> just for the record, what will Filemaker reliably remember in a Print
step?
> I set up one script to print page 2 by first manually printing page 2 and
> then adding Print to a script. It seems that script just wants to do
> whatever happened last time the file was printed. No memory.
>     Another script was built the same way to print "All" pages. That
script
> works! No matter the most recent print parameters, it wants to print
"All".
> If there is an underlying scheme, I'd really like to know.
> Thanks,
> Bill



>  Good grief - how do they cope with printing Word, Excel, webpages etc?

> I have only one app that prints without dialog, and it is a major pain
>  especially when I want 2 copies of something....

>  Webko

 
 
 

Printing certain pages

Post by Tim Boot » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:25:28



> Ran another test; did a Print Setup, then printed page 2. Then added both a
> Print Setup Restore No Dialog followed by a Print step. Now, that script
> seems set to print page 2 no matter what printing was done prior to it. So,
> do these steps link somehow; is it reliable?

Yes it is, and you have found the correct way to print a 'something' -
the script remembers what was done as the previous example and
reproduces
it on demand.

Cheers

Webko
PS Sorry for the slight 'tone' to the previous message - not one of
me better days ;-)

 
 
 

Printing certain pages

Post by Bill Jayne » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:38:59


Thanks much,

--
                                      \\ | //
                                      (o o)
     ---------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------
                        Bill Jaynes
                Swan River Software

         www.shesmylittle.com/index.htm



> > Ran another test; did a Print Setup, then printed page 2. Then added
both a
> > Print Setup Restore No Dialog followed by a Print step. Now, that script
> > seems set to print page 2 no matter what printing was done prior to it.
So,
> > do these steps link somehow; is it reliable?

> Yes it is, and you have found the correct way to print a 'something' -
> the script remembers what was done as the previous example and
> reproduces
> it on demand.

> Cheers

> Webko
> PS Sorry for the slight 'tone' to the previous message - not one of
> me better days ;-)

 
 
 

1. F4M certain layout won't print on certain printer

FileMaker.....allways fun. Before, during or after(!) working hours.....

One of our database (FileMaker 4.0v3 / Mac) happens to behave odd since
the last (minor) update.

A script prints a record from a layout in database 1 and triggers a
printscript in database 2 (to print a portalled record on a certain
layout) It worked fine for years on different LaserWriters (pr0630 and
16/600).

After a minor update done on a powerbook-not-connected-to-a-printer(!?)
the latter layout (the one in the second database0 won't print: a
printjob is generated but printMonitor reports that the printer does not
respond and cannot be found on the network and it reports an errorcode.
But little seconds before, the same script printed on the very same
printer. On a LaserWriter pro 630 (in the same network) the complete
printscript functions well.

QUESTION:
1.  While building a layout, is it compulsive to have the
printersettings set before creating the layout?
2.  With an EPS-file integrated in the layout, has the fileserver
containing the original EPS-file to be accessible?

(As far as I know: NO; but this nasty layout drove me crazy the whole
day.  Finally I found out: Add one piece to the layout (a textstring
'shit' was enough) and somehow; the layout seemed to update itself to
printersettings or so.)

So: any suggestions about odd behavior of layouts under certain
circumstances?

Dick van der Kolk

PS: Yes, I removed the textstring from the layout, since it was a
invoice layout ;-)

2. JDBC - Date problem with Oracle

3. Find certain Number of Records / Print only certain number of records

4. Help with a quoting system

5. Page Printing Muti-Page Forms

6. Seeking DBASE III file format (if public knowledge)

7. Printing Problems When Page Height < Page Width

8. Oracle Forms Programmer Position

9. pdox4.5 m-page forms:printing 2nd page

10. d3 printing a specific page only / max pages

11. Print MSDN articles exceeds printed page width

12. Printing a selected page from print preview