Summarizing A Field - I have little hair left to pull!

Summarizing A Field - I have little hair left to pull!

Post by Slee Stac » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 02:32:08

Hi.  I have a field called levelofinterest.  It contains either
0,1,2,3,3H,4, or 5.  What I need to do is to create fields for a layout that
give a summary as to the number of 0s, 1s, 2s, etc.  How can I accomplish
this?

Thanks,
joe

Summarizing A Field - I have little hair left to pull!

Post by Steven Fagtana » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:54:46

What you want to do is just a little tedious in implementation.
If there is anyone out there with a better solution, I would love to hear
about it.

What you will need to do is create a calculation field for each value that
evaluates the field 'levelofinterest' and returns a 1 if it matches the
level of interest that you are calculating.

For example, create a calculation field called levelofinterestZero, in the
calculation have it evaluate the levelofinteterest field to see if it equals
zero.
ex. If(levelofinterest = "0",1,0)
So for every record if the levelofinterest field is "0" then
levelofinterestZero = 1.
Now you may create a summary field that totals 'levelofinterestZero' which
will return the total number of records that have a level of interest of
zero.
Repeat this for every level of interest and then you can create a nice
report using  Sub-summaries(sorted by a break field), and Trailing Grand
Summary.

Hoped this helped,

Steven Fagtanac
Dubop / Human Data Designs
South Deerfield, MA

Quote:> Hi.  I have a field called levelofinterest.  It contains either
> 0,1,2,3,3H,4, or 5.  What I need to do is to create fields for a layout
that
> give a summary as to the number of 0s, 1s, 2s, etc.  How can I accomplish
> this?

> Thanks,
> joe

Summarizing A Field - I have little hair left to pull!

Post by Slee Stac » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:36:12

Steve.  Thanks for the solution.  On a related note, I have another
question.  Every record that has a level of interest also has a numunits
field which stands for number of units.  What I would like to do is get the
total number of units for each (LOI) level of interest, i.e.  record a:  LOI
3  numunits 5   record b:  LOI 3  numunits2     I would like to be able to
summarize LOI3 total numnunits to be 7.

Thanks,
joe

> What you want to do is just a little tedious in implementation.
> If there is anyone out there with a better solution, I would love to hear
> about it.

> What you will need to do is create a calculation field for each value that
> evaluates the field 'levelofinterest' and returns a 1 if it matches the
> level of interest that you are calculating.

> For example, create a calculation field called levelofinterestZero, in the
> calculation have it evaluate the levelofinteterest field to see if it
equals
> zero.
> ex. If(levelofinterest = "0",1,0)
> So for every record if the levelofinterest field is "0" then
> levelofinterestZero = 1.
> Now you may create a summary field that totals 'levelofinterestZero' which
> will return the total number of records that have a level of interest of
> zero.
> Repeat this for every level of interest and then you can create a nice
> report using  Sub-summaries(sorted by a break field), and Trailing Grand
> Summary.

> Hoped this helped,

> Steven Fagtanac
> Dubop / Human Data Designs
> South Deerfield, MA

> > Hi.  I have a field called levelofinterest.  It contains either
> > 0,1,2,3,3H,4, or 5.  What I need to do is to create fields for a layout
> that
> > give a summary as to the number of 0s, 1s, 2s, etc.  How can I
accomplish
> > this?

> > Thanks,
> > joe

1. Pulling My Hair Out w/ SQLOLEDB Connection Strings @#$%$#@

Someone PLEASE explain to me why SQLOLDB connection strings suck so bad.

I have a DSN setup to connect to a SQL box..running on an "odd" port for
security type reasons...
The DSN works great when setup and tested.
The client network config utility show that same settings that the DSN setup
for IP, server, and port.
No I have an entire site that connects via "DSN=EcommerceLive;UID=web;" as a
connection string and other that uses MSDASQL also....no problems w/ the
port because the seem to use the DSN config...

YET...changing the provider to SQLOLEDB crashes and burns...

Take this for example...
PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=EcommerceLive;User Id=web;Network
Library=Dbmssocn

This connection will not work no way, no shape, no how, yet the DSN IS SETUP
and working for odbc, client network config utility, and for MSDASQL
It basically chokes and won't connect using SQLOLEDB as the provider...

Yet this works..
PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=EcommerceLive;User
Id=web;DATABASE=Commerce;Network Address=191.2.3.134,123456;Network
Library=Dbmssocn

So in a nutshell...SQLOLEDB doesn't really USE the Data Source (DSN) AT

It's almost of as if it's assuming or ignoring Port somewhere...

I'm sure there is some freaky reason..but heck if I know...

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

2. Stupid Disconnects From ISP Server

3. Still stumped and pulling hair out!

4. Table showing a density of 0.48% - Yes, less than half of 1%

5. IDENTITY_INSERT, Access, Upsize and pulling hair out

6. Bad Distributions bug #91664

7. US-CA-OC ***SQL Server r6.5 - see me pulling my hair out***

8. Sample database

9. UPDATE problem when using with CASE...pulling my hair out

10. Please help I'm pulling my hair out

11. InterBase UDFs in Delphi 3 aka Pulling one's hair out

12. Pulling my hair out on this one!!!

13. Pulling out my hair/Combo Box problem