Ok, here's a doozy for ya- Calculating Time based on Frame Rate

Ok, here's a doozy for ya- Calculating Time based on Frame Rate

Post by Feaste » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:57:57

Hi all,

I'm a composer and I'm trying to create a database of my musical cues
done for movies.  Listing start times, end times and having filemaker
show me the total times of each cue as well as being able to do a running
"total music for movie."

Thing is that movie time is slightly different than regular time.  The
format it uses is HH:MM:SS:FF.  Where ff=frames.

There seem to be a few problems for me.   First, most of the time movies
are split into 1 to 3 hour reels (and an hour really isnt an hour, but
merely a reel marker).  So a cue starting on 03:23:23:24, generally
refers to a cue starting on reel 3 minute 23 23 seconds and 24 frames.
This is problem one.  Most of the time you're not called upon to write
over reel changes so as long as cues remain within a reel I can figure it
out. So I figure I'll just have the calculation leave out the hours
somehow (how would I do this?)

Second and more difficult hurdle is that there are different standards
for movie time.  There is one standard which has 24 frames per second,
another with 25 frames per second, another with 29.97 frames per second,
30 frames per second, and the most difficult being 30 drop frame which
has 30 frames per second, but drops a frame every few seconds
(effectively making it 29fps for that interval).

What I'd like to do is have a check box which I click to tell me the
project's frame rate, and then have filemaker do calculations in the time
fields based on my selection.  Problems are, how the hell do I even begin
these calcs (Maybe I should round up or down to the nearest second but
that wont be as accurate), and how do I make the time calculations
conditional upon my selection of the frame rate in the check boxes.

all the best
feaster

Post by Redwi » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:59:51

<< I'm a composer and I'm trying to create a database of my musical cues done
for movies.... >>

<< Problems are, how the hell do I even begin these calcs (Maybe I should round
up or down to the nearest second but that wont be as accurate), and how do I
make the time calculations conditional upon my selection of the frame rate in
the check boxes. >>

Next time ask for something I haven't done. :-)

I'm a FileMaker Geek, and I've created a database that can calculate your
musical cues as done for movies. List your start times and end times, and
FileMaker will show you the total time of each cue, as well as being able to do
a  running "total music for movie."

The format it uses is HH:MM:SS:FF.  Where ff=frames.

There doesn't seem to be any problem for me. First, Reel changes do not matter,
as they are easily calcable. Second, frame rate doesn't matter either as it is
user configurable, and includes drop frames.

I know you'd like a check box for the frame rate, but that would require
changing the existing pop up list to check boxes. There are no other problems,
as the calcs have been completed. (No rounding to the nearest second; they are
already accuarate as written), though as noted, they're currently based on a
pop up, not check boxes. Sorry.

good luck...

Sincerely,

        Roger E. Grodin
        REDWING FINANCIAL GROUP
        "Where OUR business is the ultimate database for YOUR business"

Ok, here's a doozy for ya- Calculating Time based on Frame Rate

Post by Feaste » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:22:49

Quote:><< I'm a composer and I'm trying to create a database of my musical
>cues done
> for movies.... >>

><< Problems are, how the hell do I even begin these calcs (Maybe I
>should round
> up or down to the nearest second but that wont be as accurate), and
> how do I make the time calculations conditional upon my selection of
> the frame rate in the check boxes. >>

> Next time ask for something I haven't done. :-)

> I'm a FileMaker Geek, and I've created a database that can calculate
> your musical cues as done for movies. List your start times and end
> times, and FileMaker will show you the total time of each cue, as well
> as being able to do a  running "total music for movie."

> The format it uses is HH:MM:SS:FF.  Where ff=frames.

> There doesn't seem to be any problem for me. First, Reel changes do
> not matter, as they are easily calcable. Second, frame rate doesn't
> matter either as it is user configurable, and includes drop frames.

> I know you'd like a check box for the frame rate, but that would
> require changing the existing pop up list to check boxes.

Sounds great, what pop up list are you referring to?  is the one you did
commercially available?

all the best
feaster.

Post by Feaste » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:53:02

><< I'm a composer and I'm trying to create a database of my musical
>cues done
> for movies.... >>

><< Problems are, how the hell do I even begin these calcs (Maybe I
>should round
> up or down to the nearest second but that wont be as accurate), and
> how do I make the time calculations conditional upon my selection of
> the frame rate in the check boxes. >>

> Next time ask for something I haven't done. :-)

> I'm a FileMaker Geek, and I've created a database that can calculate
> your musical cues as done for movies. List your start times and end
> times, and FileMaker will show you the total time of each cue, as well
> as being able to do a  running "total music for movie."

> The format it uses is HH:MM:SS:FF.  Where ff=frames.

> There doesn't seem to be any problem for me. First, Reel changes do
> not matter, as they are easily calcable. Second, frame rate doesn't
> matter either as it is user configurable, and includes drop frames.

> I know you'd like a check box for the frame rate, but that would
> require changing the existing pop up list to check boxes. There are no
> other problems, as the calcs have been completed. (No rounding to the
> nearest second; they are already accuarate as written), though as
> noted, they're currently based on a pop up, not check boxes. Sorry.

> good luck...

> Sincerely,

>      Roger E. Grodin
>      REDWING FINANCIAL GROUP
>      "Where OUR business is the ultimate database for YOUR business"

>     ==========================================================

Roger,

if you need to contact me via email use the address at the top and just
take out the "take this out"

all the best
Feaster

1. ok, I have another select for ya

bug_id is a field present in all three of my tables.

From my earilier question, I understand I need to use joins to avoid a
cartesian join.

This is my question, how can I do a:

select * from summary,env_info,plat_info where summary.subject like
'%test1%';

properly?

Basically I believe what I need to do is find the subject in summary, then
pull the bug_id, which is common across all for that subject, then do a

select * from summary,env_info,plat_info where summary.bug_id = `result of
the subject field select`

kind of thing.

Thanks for any tips.  I realize a lot of this is basic sql but I am
learning a lot from these examples.

Thanks
-jeremy
--
salad.

2. SQL Server client information needed

3. Here's one for ya!

4. US-FL-FINANCIALS NEEDED IN BOCA RATON, FL

5. Hi ya'll. Query in SQL7.0

6. OLE DB strange behaviour with index fields

7. Here's an easy one for ya.

8. Sample Oracle Reports

9. Attn: R91 Guru's Got something strange for ya

10. Newbie - Replication methods based on time frame

11. Can't sort result set on query based on calculated values

12. cancel based, change based and time based recovery

13. Windows4GL Frame Refresh Rate when Using StackFields