Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

Post by J. Sque » Sun, 26 May 2002 07:02:46

I have a solution that uses the SMTPit plugin.  And the oAsium Events
Manager plug in.  But I access it via a web page through the web
companion.

The problem that I have is that I work on this database all day and
users are hitting it because I share it with the office.  Everytime
someone searches I loose my place because the record found set
changes.

So, I thought that FMP Server would do the trick.  But I heard that
the web companion doesn' t work with FMP server which would mean I
would lose the web access to my shared file.

Is this true ?  What can I do ?

-S

Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

Post by Bob Pati » Sun, 26 May 2002 07:28:59

Quote:> I have a solution that uses the SMTPit plugin.  And the oAsium Events
> Manager plug in.  But I access it via a web page through the web
> companion.

> The problem that I have is that I work on this database all day and
> users are hitting it because I share it with the office.  Everytime
> someone searches I loose my place because the record found set
> changes.

> So, I thought that FMP Server would do the trick.  But I heard that
> the web companion doesn' t work with FMP server which would mean I
> would lose the web access to my shared file.

> Is this true ?  What can I do ?

FileMaker Server doesn't server files out to the web; all it can do is
serve to copies of FileMaker.

If you're using a database in the office, you can open it from FileMaker
Server, as can others in the office; their actions, at least with
searches, won't affect you.

If you want to put your database on the web, what you do is have a
FileMaker Unlimited machine (or regular FileMaker if you don't have many
people logging into the file on the web in a 12-hour period) that opens
the db from FM Server; then, this machine serves the db out to the web.

This is how a RAIC works with FileMaker; in our company, for example, we
use FileMaker Server to host the files, and then multiple FileMaker
Unlimited machines login to the server and open the files, which are
then available to the web. So there is only 1 copy of each database, but
it can be open on multiple machines. At the same time, you could also
have office workers logging into the file as well, so you'd be on the
web and live on the office network at the same time.

Hope this helps,

--
Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions

http://www.longtermsolutions.com
---
Associate Member of FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

Post by J. Sque » Mon, 27 May 2002 07:52:43

Bob thanks.  But can I run Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server on the
same machine.  So that people can open files shared using Server and
also access my other file via the web ?

So basically can FMP Server and FMP Unlimited or Pro run concurrently
on the same machine and serve files ?

-S

> > I have a solution that uses the SMTPit plugin.  And the oAsium Events
> > Manager plug in.  But I access it via a web page through the web
> > companion.

> > The problem that I have is that I work on this database all day and
> > users are hitting it because I share it with the office.  Everytime
> > someone searches I loose my place because the record found set
> > changes.

> > So, I thought that FMP Server would do the trick.  But I heard that
> > the web companion doesn' t work with FMP server which would mean I
> > would lose the web access to my shared file.

> > Is this true ?  What can I do ?

> FileMaker Server doesn't server files out to the web; all it can do is
> serve to copies of FileMaker.

> If you're using a database in the office, you can open it from FileMaker
> Server, as can others in the office; their actions, at least with
> searches, won't affect you.

> If you want to put your database on the web, what you do is have a
> FileMaker Unlimited machine (or regular FileMaker if you don't have many
> people logging into the file on the web in a 12-hour period) that opens
> the db from FM Server; then, this machine serves the db out to the web.

> This is how a RAIC works with FileMaker; in our company, for example, we
> use FileMaker Server to host the files, and then multiple FileMaker
> Unlimited machines login to the server and open the files, which are
> then available to the web. So there is only 1 copy of each database, but
> it can be open on multiple machines. At the same time, you could also
> have office workers logging into the file as well, so you'd be on the
> web and live on the office network at the same time.

> Hope this helps,

Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

Post by Ben Rollin » Mon, 27 May 2002 11:31:21

Quote:> Bob thanks.  But can I run Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server on the
> same machine.  So that people can open files shared using Server and
> also access my other file via the web ?

> So basically can FMP Server and FMP Unlimited or Pro run concurrently
> on the same machine and serve files ?

J.s problem is actually that all machines are only interfacing with
FileMaker via the web, so they are all in fact interfering with one another
in the same way that J. is experiencing. Server will not help with this.

J. is there any way you can open the database directly on your machine using
FileMaker as a client, and opening the database as a guest of the
web-serving copy of FileMaker?

That would resolve your current problems, but not the deeper issue of the
unsuitability of the web as an interface to certain database functions.

What are you using the database for which is interrupted by other users?
That would help us work out a web-based solution to your difficulties, if
there is one.

Cheers,

Ben.

Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

Post by Tim Boot » Mon, 27 May 2002 14:40:27

> > Bob thanks.  But can I run Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server on the
> > same machine.  So that people can open files shared using Server and
> > also access my other file via the web ?

Nope - and a really bad idea to boot. Never can tell what
would happen with that one actually.

Quote:

> > So basically can FMP Server and FMP Unlimited or Pro run concurrently
> > on the same machine and serve files ?

No.

Quote:

> J.s problem is actually that all machines are only interfacing with
> FileMaker via the web, so they are all in fact interfering with one another
> in the same way that J. is experiencing. Server will not help with this.

> J. is there any way you can open the database directly on your machine using
> FileMaker as a client, and opening the database as a guest of the
> web-serving copy of FileMaker?

> That would resolve your current problems, but not the deeper issue of the
> unsuitability of the web as an interface to certain database functions.

> What are you using the database for which is interrupted by other users?
> That would help us work out a web-based solution to your difficulties, if
> there is one.

He's experiencing the Web Companion making calls into the database
he has open, and thus running its own find requests as well as
his, causing the focus to change, andf the found set to alter.

Find another machine. If you only have a few users, install
FM on it. If lots, make it FM Unlimited at this stage. Put your
files on that machine, write a decent backup procedure.

Now, serve to the web from there. On your machine, open FM to the
web machine using the Hosts button. As the web requests are
going to a different machine, your found set won't get altered
by web requests.

Going to Server (which I basically have to do), you have one machine
serving all FM files, one machine as a web machine, and your own
desktop machine connecting to the Server machine. Same
principle, just yet another machine.

Cheers

Webko

1. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

I can't find any information on how to use these commands.

I only want to show the first 25 items on a query using the -max=25 command.
I also want to include a next/previous navigation button to show the next 25
records or the previous 25 records.

The only thing that the cdml reference is showing is

[FMP-LinkFirst]First set of records.[/FMP-LinkFirst]

But am I suppose to generate the first page of record using
[fmp-record][fmp-field: xxxxx][/fmp-record] or do I use the [fmp-linkfirst]
instead of the [fmp-record] (I've tried that and it didn't work).  Where and
how do I introduce the [fmp-linknext] and the [fmp-linkprevious].

Tx for any input.

Yves

Devenir immortel et mourir

2. preserving white space when parsing xml in sql server

3. Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

4. Thentec Software Announcement

5. fmp server & fmp unlimited

6. fpw programming?

7. FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

8. Options for growth

9. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting, Part II

10. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

11. Most effective way to setup FMP U and FMP Server

12. FMP Server vs. FMP network

13. FMP 3 Pro- FM Beginner needs help!