Web Hosting and Data Validation

Post by Richard M Kayto » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for some information about how to validate data being entered from
the web.  I am also interested in whether you can use such things as autoentry
fields with the web.

Any information would be appreciated.

Rich Kayton

Web Hosting and Data Validation

Post by K.D » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm not totally sure about the validation thing but I do know that if
you specify a date field and it is entered incorrectly from the web, FM
will return an error message to the user's browser. That is some form of
validation, I'm sure that you can work it with some scripting.

You can use auto-entry fields with the web but it's a little tricky.
First of all, because the auto-entry options work when you create a new
record, you will have to create the record first and then show the user
the auto-entered data.

For example, for one database that I did, I wanted to give a user a
confirmation number based on the contents of a field that they entered
and a 3 digit random number. So I made an add page where they would
enter all of their information, then submit it and on the results page,
their auto-generated confirmation number would pop-up.

There might be a way around all of this by using URLS such as <a
href="FMPro?-DB=main.fp3&-Format=search.htm&-View"> which I used to
populate dynamic pop-up lists.

The CDML reference file in your Web tools folder should have some more
info.

Good luck,
Kevin Forbes

--
Kevin Forbes
Multimedia Developer

1. data validation issue via web + CDML

I've set up a database to publish on the web using the Web Companion and
using custom publishing, CDML tags and FMP5.

The problem is that I've turned on [data validation, not empty] on for
several fields. This behaves as it is supposed to through the
application interface, but through the web it allows creation of new
records without the required fields. As far as I can tell, I have all
the settings the same as the employees.fp3 database example that was
provided with FMP4.1, which does restrict creation of new records.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

2. Manager, Electronic Technology,San Francisco,CA

3. SQL Web Hosting question

4. I'm writing an NT Service that uses ADO

5. Web hosting w/SQL Server

6. Print Problem

7. web hosting SQLServer

8. Fixed Length Flat File

9. Free SQL Server 2000 Web Hosting

10. web hosting

11. Securing DB for web hosting

12. Web hosting

13. Failed connection to SQL server at Web Hosting